Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Am I normal?!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Am I normal?!

Post by Diziet Sma »

Gooldman Sux OXP, perhaps? :evil:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

spara wrote:
Charity oxp with a karma counter? Anyone? :wink:
Would patrons please note that the bowl in the vestibule, marked "For the sick", is for monetary donations only ...

A charity OXP is a great idea: the player could support all sorts of things, like the Bide-a-Wee Twilight Home for Elderly Merchant Pilots, or the Society for the Recovery of Fallen Lobstoids. Or for the super-rich, there could be sponsorship of cultural or sporting events, or the founding of schools to fill children's heads with your own brand of hogwash provide much-needed choice in the educational marketplace ...
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Disembodied wrote:
Would patrons please note that the bowl in the vestibule, marked "For the sick", is for monetary donations only ...
<howls> Now why does that remind me of Glasgow?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I've seen it quoted before as a "real notice in a church in Glasgow/Scotland/Kerry/Ireland/wherever" ... I think it's apocryphal, but it does put me in mind a bit of some of the lyrics to "The Sick-Bed of Cuchulainn"!
Cody

Post by Cody »

<chortles>

Another worthy cause - the Contrabandistas Rehabilitation and Support Hostel - or CRASH!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaveG
Competent
Competent

Post by DaveG »

I think an OXP for this would be great. On the assumption that I don't want anything particularly for my money, how about these two ideas...

Charitable donation
Sponsorship

I think I prefer the second - what I think would be good is some way of getting your sponsorship (of what doesn't matter - save the Coriolis? Training new commanders?) recognised - with messages on nav buoys or similar! I have no idea if this is possible... Essentially, a custom message that shows up on something, and you have to pay a large amount of money for!

Personally, I'd like to leave a space station and see a 'Commander Jameson is a Diamond Geezer' right in front of me! (for example...)
laxori666
Competent
Competent

Post by laxori666 »

What about a priceless art museum OXP? Where you can buy pieces for 100000, 200000, 500000, even 850000 or 1.5million credits! Or commission a work of art. Stored on your ship (shows up on the F5 screen perhaps in a new category?), or can be kept at the museum for safe-keeping.

For the garishly lavish: How about an 8-ton sculpture of a trumble made of pure platinum? Cost: 500,000 credits.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I had an idea for an OXP aimed at the fabulously wealthy, elite ranked players - hiring your very own mobile behemoth fortress. Unluckily, my programming skills are non-existant. Plus the player-flyable behemoth, flys like a brick.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

FROM THE DESK OF MR.ZONGO DAMANI.
AUDITING AND ACCOUNTING SECTION OF
BANK OF NEW-NIGERIA

GOOD DAY,
I WISH TO KNOW IF WE CAN WORK TOGETHER BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE YOU TO STAND AS THE BENEFICIARY TO A DECEASED CLIENT MR.EMMANUEL ETUKUDO WHO MADE SOME DEPOSIT SUM OF (Cr3.8million) THREE MILLION EIGHT HUNDRED THOUSAND CREDITS IN MY DEPARTMENT IN THE BANK OF NEW-NIGERIA BEFORE HIS DEATH.
HE DIED ON THE 2ND MAY 3152 WITHOUT ANY REGISTERED NEXT OF KIN AND AS SUCH THE FUNDS NOW HAVE AN OPEN BENEFICIARY MANDATE. UPON YOUR REPLY I WILL GIVE YOU DETAILS ON HOW THE TRANSACTION WILL BE EXECUTED, AND I’AM ASSURING YOU THAT IT IS 100% RISK FREE HENCE YOU CO-OPERATE WITH ME.
IF YOU PLEASE FORWARD AN ADMINISTRATION FEE OF Cr 50 000 SO THAT I CAN SET UP YOUR CLIENT ACCOUNT.
BEST REGARDS AND EXPECTING YOUR RESPONSE.
MR.ZONGO DAMANI.

Accept offer
YES
NO
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

JazHaz wrote:
Plus the player-flyable behemoth, flys like a brick.
I dunno about that.. most bricks are fairly responsive, by comparison.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Smivs wrote:
BANK OF NEW-NIGERIA
That is just not funny. :roll:
laxori666
Competent
Competent

Post by laxori666 »

Ooh what about purchasing a moon, planet, or sun to be named after you? It can be ridiculously expensive - price varies based on tech level & safety etc - but wouldn't be that hard to implement. Maybe can have some neat screen if you have planetfall & land on it...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

JazHaz wrote:
Smivs wrote:
BANK OF NEW-NIGERIA
I laughed out loud when I read it. So yes, I found it funny.

Although I have to say that most of the emails I received over the last years were not from bank managers proposing a joint fraud, but from terminally ill widows of deceased rich husbands who found my charitable organisation the only one worth of receiving their considerable estate. :P
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander McLane wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Smivs wrote:
BANK OF NEW-NIGERIA
I laughed out loud when I read it. So yes, I found it funny.
Likewise.. :mrgreen:
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

I love the idea of being able to collect art and have your own F4 gallery, imagine the fun we could have submitting alienified versions of classical paintings or ridiculous originals, hmmm? Hmmm?!
Another OXP could be the chance of your account being robbed with a chance of you tracking them down and retreiving some of it or finding a one off item in return, or perhaps even being offered to take part in a job with them.