Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Q-Bomb shouldn't destroy Behemoths?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Q-Bomb shouldn't destroy Behemoths?

Post by drew »

I know this is an OXP related thing, but should the Q-Bomb really be able to destroy the Behemoths?

I was mucking about killing some thargoids after a mis-jump and dropped a bomb, taking out the thargoids and was was a tiny bit embarressed to see I'd also blown up the pride of the Galcop navy... :oops:

You'd have thought that they would have thought of that, otherwise the Behemoth is useless as it's vulnerable to hit and run q-bomb terrorist strikes.... 8) :wink: :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I think it should!

According to the F3 screen, the Q-bomb works by doing somthing very nasty to a ship's witch drive causing it to blow up. So a Q-bomb shoudn't destroy a space station (as they don't have witch drives), but should destroy any ship with a wich drive, however big.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

It's a bit of an unbalanced uber weapon then, surely?

Maybe larger (capital sized) ships have a drive shielding system that protects the quirium storage tanks and reaction assembly from outside intereference. It's bulky and heavy equipment, needing lots of energy to run, so only huge ships can have it.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Selezen wrote:
It's a bit of an unbalanced uber weapon then, surely?
Ahh. you noticed. :-)
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Guess it would make sense it have very big ships Q-bomb proof, but I think this is a game code issue rather than an OXP issue. Currently, the game code causes the Q-bomb to destroy anything except a station.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Actually, one would think that the GalCop would deem Q-bombs and their use highly illegal (as well as energy bombs when they are used against non-Thargoids or hostile fugitives). After all, they once did it to Fer-de-Lance, if I remember correctly...
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.