Blue Danube

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Blue Danube

Post by Corny »

YouTube has noticed that I'm using the "Blue Danube" in my videos. Well, the standard docking music is audible when I'm docking.
I'm asked to explain myself (not threatened yet).
While I use Smivs' Delightful Docking OXP that comes with another version of Blue Danube (and the fitting license text), I used the standard music in that video while back.
Could you provide me with the license that this music is under? Or is it just the same for every other image, sound etc. of the core game (and mentioned in the ReadMe)?
Thanks in advance :)
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Blue Danube

Post by Selezen »

The Blue Danube will still be under the copyright of the performer that did the composition and may still be reserved to the estate of Strauss. I'd have to look it up, but classical music does, I think, carry licensing.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Selezen wrote:
The Blue Danube will still be under the copyright of the performer that did the composition and may still be reserved to the estate of Strauss. I'd have to look it up, but classical music does, I think, carry licensing.
From: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=13913#p13913
Galileo wrote:
I should point out that the actual composition was composed in 1867 by Johann Strauss II and the composition itself is exempt from copyright. But an individual recording ... is (probably) under copyright ...
Some checking confirms that the composition itself IS in the public domain.

So what it really comes down to is, where did the recording used in Oolite originate from?

Although I can't yet find any confirmation, I'm beginning to suspect that Giles performed and recorded it himself.. (although it may have been done by NoSleep) He would be the person to ask about the copyright/licence, for that matter.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=9012
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Yeah, my post wasn't clear. The composition refers to the actual sheet music written by the composer - that's in the public domain. The item under copyright will be the arrangement and performance.

Did Giles use blue Danube in Oolite? Didn't he have a theme written specially by NoSleep?

If someone writes their own version of Blue Danube (say as a MOD, MP3 or MIDI file) then it's that person's copyrighted work.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Selezen wrote:
Yeah, my post wasn't clear. The composition refers to the actual sheet music written by the composer - that's in the public domain. The item under copyright will be the arrangement and performance.

Did Giles use blue Danube in Oolite? Didn't he have a theme written specially by NoSleep?

If someone writes their own version of Blue Danube (say as a MOD, MP3 or MIDI file) then it's that person's copyrighted work.
NoSleep certainly created the Oolite theme.. he may also have done the performance of Blue Danube.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The license information in the ReadMe doesn't mention the musical parts. The load screen only attributes the title music to NoSleep. The Blue Danube in Oolite isn't an orchestral recording, but played/programmed on a keyboard/synthesizer. If there's no information in the source code (like in a tag of BlueDanube.ogg) about who did it, it's probably best to PM Giles and ask him directly.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander McLane wrote:
If there's no information in the source code (like in a tag of BlueDanube.ogg) about who did it, it's probably best to PM Giles and ask him directly.
No.. there's nothing in the source code.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

So we must summon The Giles.

Maybe if we say his name three times he will appear? ;-)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Selezen wrote:
So we must summon The Giles.

Maybe if we say his name three times he will appear? ;-)
I think you also have to spin around yourself and pat yourself on your iron a** each time (both hands), or else it won't work. :wink:
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Diziet Sma wrote:
So what it really comes down to is, where did the recording used in Oolite originate from?

Although I can't yet find any confirmation, I'm beginning to suspect that Giles performed and recorded it himself.. (although it may have been done by NoSleep) He would be the person to ask about the copyright/licence, for that matter.
I'm flattered, but the recording was indeed performed by NoSleep (Nigel).

He volunteered to create a theme tune for Oolite and while he was doing that I asked him to record a version of the Blue Danube performed using a (simulated) glass harmonica.

So the rights for that performance reside with Nigel.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

In this case, I better get a permission from NoSleep, right?
I could argue with "fair use", but it's a bit legally diffuse - I'm in Germany and afaik this is not working here, however, YouTube is an American company...?
Anyway, I could just try to argue with fair use first and get a direct permission later, since I don't know how to reach NoSleep.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Corny wrote:
… since I don't know how to reach NoSleep.
PM him?
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Did you notice that his last visit was 2011?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Yeah, but I think he may respond. I also think that this is him.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!