Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Let's Play Oolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Let's Play Oolite

Post by CommRLock78 »

Thanks for putting together those videos, JJCorny :mrgreen: ! I just found this thread and put two and two together (I thought I recognized the name). The videos were a excellent introduction to the game after I first found out about it last December, when I came across this site http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-free-spa ... -os-linux/ (glad I was able to find the article again, since I owe that guy a big thanks, too :wink: .
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Yeah, this article seems to have brought a bunch of people to Oolite. :)
Glad that you like my videos. The "JJ" was a prefix that I used when my channel had other uses, but "Corny" was taken at that time... By a guy who'd never upload anything! Grrrrr :x
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Fatleaf wrote:
Shipbuilder wrote:
I've noticed on the Wiki that many ships have a set of specifications provided and that the energy is referenced by identifying how many energy banks a ship has rather than specifying the exact amount of energy.

Does anyone know how much energy consists of one energy bank ?
That would be 64.
I was just checking one of the ships I have developed. The ship has a energy level of 250 but only has 3 energy banks. Based on an energy level of 64 per energy bank anything above an energy level of 192 would have at least 4 energy banks :?
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Shipbuilder wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
That would be 64.
I was just checking one of the ships I have developed. The ship has a energy level of 250 but only has 3 energy banks. Based on an energy level of 64 per energy bank anything above an energy level of 192 would have at least 4 energy banks :?
According to the hud info is is also possible to set the number of banks to a fixed number. With those HUDs you don't have a feedback about the absolute energy level. (you can create a hud for an adder with 10 very tiny energy banks :P )
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Eric Walch wrote:
Shipbuilder wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
That would be 64.
According to the hud info is is also possible to set the number of banks to a fixed number. With those HUDs you don't have a feedback about the absolute energy level. (you can create a hud for an adder with 10 very tiny energy banks :P )
I'm using the standard Oolite HUD - Does this HUD use a different value for energy per energy bank ?

The reason why I am raising this query is that I am looking at putting information together for some Wiki pages on the ships I have released and am due to release shortly and the 'standard' format for the pages I have looked at for a guide generally lists energy levels by listing the numbers of energy banks.

As there is a variation of how different HUDs convert energy in to energy banks would it not be better to provide the numerical energy value instead ?

Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Shipbuilder wrote:
As there is a variation of how different HUDs convert energy in to energy banks would it not be better to provide the numerical energy value instead ?
They all use the same formula to convert energy to banks (Unless a fixed number of banks is set for the hud). The formula is:

Code: Select all

n_bars = maxEnergy/64.0;
n_bars is an integer though, meaning that any decimal part is ignored. In your case we have 250 / 64 = 3.90625 This will be rounded down to 3. Effectively a bank will be a bit more than 64. For a one bank ship it could be up to 127 for the single bank. :D

I updated the wiki: it was not maximum 64 for a bank, but a minimum of 64 energy for a bank.
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Eric - Thanks for your detailed explaination. :D

Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

At last! :)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Yeah, yeah, I know... never would've thought that it would take me more than a YEAR for the Python session.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

But it's still a good session .-) Thanks a lot for the nice vids, Corny.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cool vid, Corny!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

One question - how did you get the dialogue with the pirates "You're dead", and my favorite "Do you have any free cargo?" Damn... I want dialogue like that :mrgreen:
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

It's part of the OXP DeepSpacePirates, which causes those pirates to appear in deep space, far away from the trade lanes. That's what the (ds) in the ship ID stands for.

I love those questions! :) Really, I intended to get more people interested in Oolite, but I didn't think about all the OXPs that I present for people who already know Oolite, but not these wonderful expansions!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Corny wrote:
It's part of the OXP DeepSpacePirates, which causes those pirates to appear in deep space, far away from the trade lanes. That's what the (ds) in the ship ID stands for.

I love those questions! :) Really, I intended to get more people interested in Oolite, but I didn't think about all the OXPs that I present for people who already know Oolite, but not these wonderful expansions!
Thanks for the pointer Corny :D - it's always good to see someone that doesn't mind helping to figure things out - just like all things there's a learning curve to Oolite as well ;). (That dialogue is great too - I've already read about the OXP and downloaded :mrgreen: )