Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mr_homn
Competent
Competent

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by mr_homn »

I'm trying to replace as many of the default models with griff models, and since the griff's dodo wasn't included in the all in one replacement pack, can someone tell me how to replace the default with it?

Same with the other "standalone" models he has released. Since these weren't included in the replacement pack, I'm still seeing the ugly stock ones every now and then instead of only the griff ones, which is what I would rather have.

Also, is there a list of stock ships that don't have Griff versions? Are there any left?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Using Griff's shipset replace OXP with his standalone Dodo OXP, the only stock 'ships' you should see are the Ico stations.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Aye, it is all getting a bit confusing! I haven't included my alternative coriolis station and the dodo station in the bundle oxp's as they're about 20 megabytes each and use some big 2048x2048 pixel textures so are probably only really playable with a beefy video card!
To achieve your plan, you'll need from my wiki page [wiki]Griff_Industries[/wiki]
. Resources 1.2.24
. Core shipset Replacement 1.32
(both of these are kindly hosted by Cmdr Cheyd on his Deep Horizons server as the resources oxp is too big for my account at box!)

and from my box.net site http://www.box.com/shared/rpkms25cc9 grab:

. griff_alloys_and_wreckage
. griff_elite2_bug.zip (this is a remake of a ship from the Braben&Bell 'elite 2' project that didn't get made)
. griff_dodo_normalmapped_fullsize_tex.2.01.zip
. griff_coriolis_normalmapped_alt_fullsize_tex_v2.02.zip (comes with a shipdata-overrides file that stops the default griff_coriolis and standard coriolis models from appearing in game)
. griff_hermit_normalmapped_full_size_textures.zip
. griff_shipset_player_flyable_NPC_ships_v1.04.zip (if you'd like a few of the ships you can't normally fly appear in the shipyard - note: in what can only be an act of sheer bloody mindedness on my part it doesn't include the ones everybody'd really like such as the Viper :P )
edit:
. griff_CobraIII_alternate_model.zip - alternative high polygon version of a cobra III
Last edited by Griff on Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Don't forget the Cobra III with sub-ent missiles - very cool!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

:oops: Oh yes, i'd forgotten about that one, it's griff_CobraIII_alternate_model.zip
I'd forgotten about the Ico station too, i'll make it my next project
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
Oh good - I'll be able to thin-out the Torus stations that currently replace the Icos.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

El Viejo wrote:
Griff wrote:
Oh good - I'll be able to thin-out the Torus stations that currently replace the Icos.
well, in about six months time or however long it takes me to knuckle down and actually draw out a station texturemap instead of finding anything (short of hoovering the house) i'd prefer to do instead :lol:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
... i'd prefer to do instead
What... like much larger rock hermits, perchance?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

size isn't everything EV :lol: Maybe the hermits are happy with what Giles gave them
I do agree, they're much too easy to spot in my shipset as they have a unique asteroid model and texture, now that the oxp has the massive asteroids, maybe i could make some of them appear as hermits. oo, you've just reminded me i wanted to make a pirate radio station asteroid with a big radar dish (or whatever they're called) embedded into one side of the rock.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
... now that the oxp has the massive asteroids, maybe i could make some of them appear as hermits.
That'd work nicely... as for the pirate radio station - yes! Radio Sombrero!
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

The Cobra 3 alternate model is beautyful! I like it much more than the standard version. :) I passed an entire day searching though galaxy 2 for a cobra mk3 altenate with red stripes... :D Finally, I borrowed my Fer de lance for a very expensive mk3 (with naval enegy unit on board), but with purple stripes.

@mr_homn: For the Ico stations, I'm using this: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11775

rock hermits: I noticed that they are quite easy to find, because when they are far, they "blink"... It looks like some polygon in the back, keeps popping in front, and then return hidden, as they rotate. Maybe a problem of my video card with Z buffer?
Last edited by Tichy on Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

yeah, that is a cool Ico station!
The flickering rock hermit is indeed something to do with the z buffer, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting
there's not enough gap between the polygons that make up the inside the station and the asteroid, it might help if i scale up the rock a bit, although i don't know if it would really help that much when viewing the rock hermit from far away
mr_homn
Competent
Competent

Post by mr_homn »

Griff wrote:
Aye, it is all getting a bit confusing! I haven't included my alternative coriolis station and the dodo station in the bundle oxp's as they're about 20 megabytes each and use some big 2048x2048 pixel textures so are probably only really playable with a beefy video card!
To achieve your plan, you'll need from my wiki page [wiki]Griff_Industries[/wiki]
. Resources 1.2.24
. Core shipset Replacement 1.32
(both of these are kindly hosted by Cmdr Cheyd on his Deep Horizons server as the resources oxp is too big for my account at box!)

and from my box.net site http://www.box.com/shared/rpkms25cc9 grab:

. griff_alloys_and_wreckage
. griff_elite2_bug.zip (this is a remake of a ship from the Braben&Bell 'elite 2' project that didn't get made)
. griff_dodo_normalmapped_fullsize_tex.2.01.zip
. griff_coriolis_normalmapped_alt_fullsize_tex_v2.02.zip (comes with a shipdata-overrides file that stops the default griff_coriolis and standard coriolis models from appearing in game)
. griff_hermit_normalmapped_full_size_textures.zip
. griff_shipset_player_flyable_NPC_ships_v1.04.zip (if you'd like a few of the ships you can't normally fly appear in the shipyard - note: in what can only be an act of sheer bloody mindedness on my part it doesn't include the ones everybody'd really like such as the Viper :P )
edit:
. griff_CobraIII_alternate_model.zip - alternative high polygon version of a cobra III

Got em all now! thank you for the checklist, sir!

By the way, since I installed the cobraIII alternate model, does that mean my starting ship will always be that version, or will it be a 50/50 chance of getting that one or the old griff one?

btw I love the pirate radio station base idea!
Cody

Post by Cody »

mr_homn wrote:
... since I installed the cobraIII alternate model, does that mean my starting ship will always be that version
Whichever ship you use as your player ship will remain the same - unless changed (by buying a new ship etc).
mr_homn
Competent
Competent

Post by mr_homn »

El Viejo wrote:
mr_homn wrote:
... since I installed the cobraIII alternate model, does that mean my starting ship will always be that version
Whichever ship you use as your player ship will remain the same - unless changed (by buying a new ship etc).
Right, but what I was asking is this:

Since I have griffs all in one core ship replacement pack, which already included a griff cobra3 model, and now i ALSO have a standalone griff alternate cobra3 model, will I now have two griff cobra3s in the cobra3 pool? Or will the new alternae griff cobra3 override the all-in-one griff cobraIII?

In other words, when I start a new game, will the player ship that is offered always be the alternate griff cobra3, or will it sometimes be the griffcobra3 that was in the all-in-one-pack?

Sorry, it's just that this can be a bit confusing for a dumb newb like myself.