Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cobra MkI or MkIII?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

opticyclic
Above Average
Above Average

Cobra MkI or MkIII?

Post by opticyclic »

Previously it had never occurred to me to sell my ship at the start and downgrade to get spare cash. :roll:

After I had a FPS issue I couldn't really dock without a computer and so couldn't really do much until I read about downgrading.

However, downgrading to a Cobra MkI means that you can immediately max out on the best equipment.
This doesn't leave you too much to aim for as all you subsequently need is a ship with a bigger hold and then you have everything.

Do you think downgrading can spoil the gameplay?

Do you think it is easier to play by going the MkI route rather than the MkIII route?
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Cobra MkI or MkIII?

Post by ArkanoiD »

opticyclic wrote:
Previously it had never occurred to me to sell my ship at the start and downgrade to get spare cash. :roll:

After I had a FPS issue I couldn't really dock without a computer and so couldn't really do much until I read about downgrading.

However, downgrading to a Cobra MkI means that you can immediately max out on the best equipment.
This doesn't leave you too much to aim for as all you subsequently need is a ship with a bigger hold and then you have everything.

Do you think downgrading can spoil the gameplay?

Do you think it is easier to play by going the MkI route rather than the MkIII route?
If you think trading is boring, it is the only way ;-)

BTW MkIIx is better balanced, or you may try old rusty MkIII.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Downgrading can indeed spoil the gameplay, as it takes away the learning curve IMO. Before shipyards were introduced, you HAD to learn how to dock properly, and HAD to pick your fights carefully. Then, when you were unlucky enough to get caught by a Thargoid fleet, your ass was handed to you in a carrier bag if you had just started out.

Luckily, the engine was pretty forgiving, and the AI wasn't as nasty back then - if you got caught in a big fight, some fancy moves would generally get you out of trouble. Now, with the clever new AI, you am mymurth meat if you get caught by a big fleet.

The main thing is, though, that the docking and stuff had to be learned if you wanted to get on, hence the old adage that a commander who couldn't dock manually shouldn't be in space. I remember arguments between me and other players in the 80s about docking - comments like 'pah! who needs docking computers - manual every time!' were common.

However, the shipyard concept does add a lot to the game, and it does allow a wider demographic to enjoy the game in different ways. Personally, I enjoy the 'building from nothing' approach, but there is a lot of merit in the other way too, allowing people to get into the grittiness right away.

In the final analysis, though, there's no replacement for plain old experience! Think about it. You play for weeks with a Cobra 1 and have never docked. You get into a big fight, paste twenty ships and finally attain that coveted Above Average rating, and are much proud of yourself. However, your docking computer was reduced to scrap and you have to dock manually. See where I'm going with this? ;)
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Selezen wrote:
Downgrading can indeed spoil the gameplay, as it takes away the learning curve IMO. Before shipyards were introduced, you HAD to learn how to dock properly, and HAD to pick your fights carefully. Then, when you were unlucky enough to get caught by a Thargoid fleet, your ass was handed to you in a carrier bag if you had just started out.

Luckily, the engine was pretty forgiving, and the AI wasn't as nasty back then - if you got caught in a big fight, some fancy moves would generally get you out of trouble. Now, with the clever new AI, you am mymurth meat if you get caught by a big fleet.

The main thing is, though, that the docking and stuff had to be learned if you wanted to get on, hence the old adage that a commander who couldn't dock manually shouldn't be in space. I remember arguments between me and other players in the 80s about docking - comments like 'pah! who needs docking computers - manual every time!' were common.

However, the shipyard concept does add a lot to the game, and it does allow a wider demographic to enjoy the game in different ways. Personally, I enjoy the 'building from nothing' approach, but there is a lot of merit in the other way too, allowing people to get into the grittiness right away.

In the final analysis, though, there's no replacement for plain old experience! Think about it. You play for weeks with a Cobra 1 and have never docked. You get into a big fight, paste twenty ships and finally attain that coveted Above Average rating, and are much proud of yourself. However, your docking computer was reduced to scrap and you have to dock manually. See where I'm going with this? ;)
That's why i am against "instant dock" feature. If there is hight traffic or you are under attack, you should dock manually. And maybe there should be a restriction that does not allow selling military lasers to "poor" or lower rating? ;-)
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I disagree with that - sometimes the instant dock feature is the only way to save your own life - it's a valuable part of the game experience. I remember the panic-ridden run for the planet, jinking and diving to avoid laser fire until the S came up on the screen and I could get away!!!

With the aforementioned improvements in the AI, this becomes even more of a game feature now.
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

survival as a valuable game experience?
hard to argue with that but then again ;)

the insta-dock must be seen as a 'jump-cut' of the docking computer sequence (since you can only do it when owning a DC) and as such it doesn't make sense as a life-saving device. try engaging the docking computer next time you're getting whipped inside the Aegis..

I'm for making the insta-dock off limits while the lamp is red..
The man next to you is your lunch
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Selezen wrote:
I disagree with that - sometimes the instant dock feature is the only way to save your own life - it's a valuable part of the game experience. I remember the panic-ridden run for the planet, jinking and diving to avoid laser fire until the S came up on the screen and I could get away!!!

With the aforementioned improvements in the AI, this becomes even more of a game feature now.
That's because there are some changes from original Elite. A protective function worked better, because a single shot within station aegis no matter who is your target counted as offence and vipers came on your way quite quickly so pirates avoided it. Maybe there should be better solution than "instant dock"?
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Murgh wrote:
survival as a valuable game experience?
hard to argue with that but then again ;)

the insta-dock must be seen as a 'jump-cut' of the docking computer sequence (since you can only do it when owning a DC) and as such it doesn't make sense as a life-saving device. try engaging the docking computer next time you're getting whipped inside the Aegis..

me too. what about heavy traffic case?
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Selezen wrote:

E and Q bombs and escape pod may save your life as well in more proper way ;-)
Unlike the docking computers, they are designed to.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Quick Point, Dude: there's an Edit button on your posts - instead of spamming multiple posts, edit your original to add further information.

Fair do, if the general consensus is that insta dock should be limited, then fine. I'll miss my runs for the protection zone. However, I would differ with the opinion that a single shot by an enemy with in the station zone resulted in Vipers up thier a$$ - I never remember being saved by the police in those situations. On the speccy version they just NEVER fired, and in the Amiga version, the police didn't care about that damn Wolf chewing up your engine port, so the docking computer had to be used.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Selezen wrote:
Quick Point, Dude: there's an Edit button on your posts - instead of spamming multiple posts, edit your original to add further information.

Fair do, if the general consensus is that insta dock should be limited, then fine. I'll miss my runs for the protection zone. However, I would differ with the opinion that a single shot by an enemy with in the station zone resulted in Vipers up thier a$$ - I never remember being saved by the police in those situations. On the speccy version they just NEVER fired, and in the Amiga version, the police didn't care about that damn Wolf chewing up your engine port, so the docking computer had to be used.
I played PC version and never had any really bad encounters within station aegis (though the police never fired just because of version limitations, i think it applies to speccy as well).
And PC version did not have instant docking.
opticyclic
Above Average
Above Average

Post by opticyclic »

Selezen wrote:

Try manual docking with 4 FPS :wink:
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

opticyclic wrote:
Try manual docking with 4 FPS :wink:
4fps looks much like what you get with software OpenGL emulation. Seems that your video card driver is broken, try reinstalling it?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Murgh wrote:
Thirded.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

When I played the BBC version, I was always killed by failed docking attempts. In this version manual docking is easy.

Fly to the Navigation Beacon. (flashing golf-club). Stop just above the beacon. Turn round and you will be lined up with the docking port.

Stick with the MK3 until you can afford a better ship!

In this game (with all the OXPs installed) crashing when docking is much less likley than being blow to bits on the way to the station!