Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ship equipment disappears in 1.76.1

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Ship equipment disappears in 1.76.1

Post by Eric Walch »

Fatleaf wrote:
I have found the same issue. Do you have a Military jammer on your ship?
The 'Military jammer' is an other issue. It was a bug that you could got it in the first place. This equipment has no available_to_all key. That means it should only be available to ships that are explicit allowed to have it. And the caduceus-omega has not defined it as optional equipment.

It was not buyable anyhow, unless an oxp modified the equipment or awarded it by script. That bug (of allowing the equipment to the wrong ships) is fixed in 1.76.1.

(Although it might not feel like a fix if you had it before :roll: )
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Eric Walch wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
I have found the same issue. Do you have a Military jammer on your ship?
The 'Military jammer' is an other issue. It was a bug that you could got it in the first place. This equipment has no available_to_all key. That means it should only be available to ships that are explicit allowed to have it. And the caduceus-omega has not defined it as optional equipment.

It was not buyable anyhow, unless an oxp modified the equipment or awarded it by script. That bug (of allowing the equipment to the wrong ships) is fixed in 1.76.1.
Could this be the cause of the issue here then?
Eric Walch wrote:
(Although it might not feel like a fix if you had it before :roll: )
I'm not that bothered about the fix as it was only on my test ship. And with 1.76.1 missiles are more survivable so all is good with that.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

I do have the Military Jammer, and that is one of the missing equipment from my ship. The Witchspace Injectors also disappear when loading as well. I will send over my save game when I get back from work.

I also remembered that I did try to create (even though I knew it would set off the cheater warning in the log file) another save game and the same problem happened which was why I decided 1.76.1 was broken and reverted back to 1.76...
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Pleb wrote:
I do have the Military Jammer, and that is one of the missing equipment from my ship. The Witchspace Injectors also disappear when loading as well. I will send over my save game when I get back from work.
Try removing the Jammer from your save file and then see if that fixes the issue please.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Steve
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Steve »

Crumbs, so much to get through :wink: Long day at work, so this is my first chance to reply...

@Eric Walch It's a Cobra Mk III, redesigned through a Griff OXP (I think)

@another_commander I'll email you my savegame as soon as I've posted this. I have two subfolders to Oolite - "Oolite 1.75" and "Oolite 1.76". IIRC I already had v1.76 in the appropriate folder and extracted 1.76.1 into the same folder.

@SandJ Yep, Window$ Vista :?

@Fatleaf No military jammer here

@Pleb What you're saying seems to suggest that 1.76.1 is somehow broken, compared to 1.76 :(

Anyway, I'm very grateful for all the replies. I'm sure this can be sorted :D
FrontierAstro - dedicated to Elite, Frontier and Astronomy
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Steve: This is my 1.76.1 screen after loading your savegame with the following OXPs loaded:

Code: Select all

Resources
    ../AddOns
    ../AddOns/Basic-debug.oxp
    ../AddOns/BigShips 1.02.oxp
    ../AddOns/genship.oxp
    ../AddOns/griff_cobra3_normalmapped.oxp
    ../AddOns/griff_normalmapped_ship_decals.oxp*
    ../AddOns/Welcome Mat 1.12.oxp
*This is an OXP I made containing just a Textures folder, with the following files in: griff_decals_set1.png, griff_decals_set1_flipped_V.png and griff_player_decal.png. I was not able to locate any OXP with this name in any OXP list. Hope that's close to what you have.

What I would like you to try to do is, remove from your game temporarily the OXPs that I have not included in the list above and see if that makes the savefile load correctly for you. If this fails, then please remove all OXPs except the Griff Cobra III one and Welcome Mat and try again.

One more thing to note: Plenty of the OXPs you have loaded seem to be older versions and I think it would be a good idea updating everything to whatever is latest.

If this still fails, then it has to be due to a problematic installation. The way you describe you installed the game seems very unorthodox to me. In such case, I would go ahead and remove completely Oolite from the computer, then reinstall from scratch in a brand new location.

Edit to add: I find the comments about 1.76.1 being broken a bit rushed and unjustified at this stage. If there is a problem it will be solved, but it has to be said that 1.76.1 fixes a lot of issues of the previous version, including hard crashes.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Steve wrote:
@Eric Walch It's a Cobra Mk III, redesigned through a Griff OXP (I think)

@another_commander I'll email you my savegame as soon as I've posted this. I have two subfolders to Oolite - "Oolite 1.75" and "Oolite 1.76". IIRC I already had v1.76 in the appropriate folder and extracted 1.76.1 into the same folder.
I got the save game from another_commander and could not find any problem either. I used my full set of oxps (> 50) for testing. I do see however that it only affects the equipment items that need to be explicitly allowed in the shipYard.plist for your specific ship. It could be something wrong with your version of griffs ships. In 1.76 and older this optional equipment was not checked on loading, but in 1.76.1 it does.

Please check if your version of griff_cobra3_normalmapped.oxp has defined optional equipment in the shipYard.plist for the ship: griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

@another_commander I wasn't saying it was outright broken, I originally assumed I had done something wrong and when I couldn't get it to work I gave up and went back to 1.76. Its only because now other people are saying they are having the same problem it seems like this is an actual issue not just me not installing something correctly. I have now tried installing 1.76.1 on my Vista machine and used the same save game to see if the problem still occurs and it does. I forgot to send you my save game last night but I will try and remember to do so tonight so the problem can be identified and fixed.
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

pleb: Please check what Eric has written above. Have a look at your shipyard.plist, where it references your player ship and see if there are / are not any declarations in optional equipment for the items that you have missing. If there are not, then it's an OXP problem and not Oolite.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

A small experiment seems to confirm Eric's assessment of the situation: I went to my copy of the griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player shipyard entry and emptied completely the optional_equipment section. This resulted in successfully replicating Steve's problem with missing equipment. Putting back all the previously existing optional_eqiuipment entries makes everything work OK.

So, it looks like it's an OXP issue we are dealing with. The optional_equipment entries must be present in shipyard.plist for equipment not specifically made available_to_all in shipdata, otherwise the equipment is not allowed. This is the way it should be and previously some OXPs were mabye taking unwillingly advantage of the fact that it wasn't. In such case, said OXPs will need fixing and/or updating.

A confirmation of the above by both Steve and pleb would be more than welcome.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

I'm at work at the moment but I am thinking this is the issue as I fly a Griff Cobra Mark III. I will check this out and confirm my findings when I get home. Thanks AC! Sorry for suggesting 1.76.1 was broken!

Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

That was it!

I didn't want my ship to appear in the shipyard for sale so I listed an NPC variant. Putting it back in brought all my equipment back. :?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Tricky wrote:
I didn't want my ship to appear in the shipyard for sale so I listed an NPC variant.
If you don't want your specific player-ship to appear for sale, just make "chance" = 0.0; in its shipyard.plist (I think that's right).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Steve
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Steve »

Yep, at work here too :(

Will check this out as soon as I can when I get home, but the last few posts look promising 8)
Steve
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Steve »

Well, I finally got it to work, tortuous though it was :shock:

I couldn't just remove the griff oxp because then when I tried to load the savegame it failed because the necessary oxp wasn't there.

I couldn't install a newer version of the oxp because there doesn't seem to be one for download.

There was no reference to the griff cobraIII in the shipyard plist and I was unable to add one.

In the end I just renamed it shipyard2 and copied the shipyard plist from the oxp. What effect that'll have further down the line I'm not sure :lol:

Anyway, the result is I've got my ship back with all the equipment I originally had.

Many thanks to everyone for spending time helping to resolve this, particularly AC :D