Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Show and Tell (new ships/ ships in progress)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Show and Tell (new ships/ ships in progress)

Post by mandoman »

You know, that all sounds cool, and I have seen the evidence of the technique you describe, but even reading what you just wrote sounds confusing to me. I took a lot of art in both high school, and college, and almost decided to major in art, but I don't ever remember anything in art that was as confusing as what you describe.

Killer Wolf, you say your ships look bad without shaders, but I'm of the opinion of Mi Mroriarty. I think your designs are fantastic. I have to admit that the shader effects make them all the more so, but believe they would look great either way.

It's cool that there are those of you that know how to use those techniques, but I seem to have the same struggle with them as I do with understanding Java Script. You have to be able to visualise, and think in a certain way to understand either. The Wiki speaks of mixing colours, but all I see are a bunch of numbers, and letters. I understand them to a point, as I can now place flashers on my ships, but there is a point where I just begin to feel lost. Shoot, when I mix colours to create a painting, or screen work, I just mix the colours till I get the effect I want. That's what I do with my ships. It may not be as visually stimulating as shaders, but it's what I understand. That's all I have to go on, for now. :)
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

mandoman wrote:
You know, that all sounds cool, and I have seen the evidence of the technique you describe, but even reading what you just wrote sounds confusing to me. I took a lot of art in both high school, and college, and almost decided to major in art, but I don't ever remember anything in art that was as confusing as what you describe.

Killer Wolf, you say your ships look bad without shaders, but I'm of the opinion of Mi Mroriarty. I think your designs are fantastic. I have to admit that the shader effects make them all the more so, but believe they would look great either way.

It's cool that there are those of you that know how to use those techniques, but I seem to have the same struggle with them as I do with understanding Java Script. You have to be able to visualise, and think in a certain way to understand either. The Wiki speaks of mixing colours, but all I see are a bunch of numbers, and letters. I understand them to a point, as I can now place flashers on my ships, but there is a point where I just begin to feel lost. Shoot, when I mix colours to create a painting, or screen work, I just mix the colours till I get the effect I want. That's what I do with my ships. It may not be as visually stimulating as shaders, but it's what I understand. That's all I have to go on, for now. :)
This is why I was hesitant to expand on the technique and instead referred to Griffs work because by studying them is how I learned, that and by losing a little sleep with GIMP. But the principle is sound and once understood a walk in the park.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

See my Mandotech Ind. Topic for this ship pic.
Last edited by mandoman on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Wow, the Mandoman Armada. :shock: :D
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Gimi wrote:
Wow, the Mandoman Armada. :shock: :D
I guess. I actually did start to build two different armadas with what is in that picture. I'm still working on the second, which uses the biggest as the mother or base ship, the ships aft and forward are destroyers, and the tiny ones are cruisers and fighters. I'm still trying to visualise a Battleship, a Medical ship, a scout ship, and an actual carrier, as apposed to just the Base Ship. It's fun, even though most of it will never be released. :)

MiMoriarty
Competent
Competent

Post by MiMoriarty »

I guess. I actually did start to build two different armadas with what is in that picture. I'm still working on the second, which uses the biggest as the mother or base ship, the ships aft and forward are destroyers, and the tiny ones are cruisers and fighters. I'm still trying to visualise a Battleship, a Medical ship, a scout ship, and an actual carrier, as apposed to just the Base Ship. It's fun, even though most of it will never be released.
Are you on the way for a Ooniverse's invasion? :shock:
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. … Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
Blog http://mimoriarty.wordpress.com/
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

Hi folks,

I've been lurking here a little while (been a fan of Elite since back in the days of the BBC Micro) and recently decided to try out Wings3d. After some trial and error and some useful howto's on this forum I have managed to texture my first model.

For emergency use only!
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

MiMoriarty wrote:
Are you on the way for a Ooniverse's invasion? :shock:
Sure. At least MY Ooniverse. :D

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Storm wrote:
Hi folks,

I've been lurking here a little while (been a fan of Elite since back in the days of the BBC Micro) and recently decided to try out Wings3d. After some trial and error and some useful howto's on this forum I have managed to texture my first model. For emergency use only!
Nice job, Storm. You are tackling the hardest part first. Way to go. :)

MiMoriarty
Competent
Competent

Post by MiMoriarty »

After some trial and error and some useful howto's on this forum I have managed to texture my first model.
Nice Pod!! :o
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. … Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

Still working on the small end of the object scales, currently in the WIP (or Faulcon de Lacy R&D) phase...

The famous Faulcon de Lacy HM3 Homing Missile...

And the Faulcon de Lacy Sidewinder...

The underview of the Sidewinder on the top right clearly showing the missile bay doors and forward laser mount.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Nice work there, Storm! Keep 'em coming! :D
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi Storm and welcome... nice work, but I don't think the Sidewinder mounts any missiles?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

The Sidewinder Scout Ship can carry just the one missile.
MiMoriarty
Competent
Competent

Post by MiMoriarty »

The famous Faulcon de Lacy HM3 Homing Missile...

And the Faulcon de Lacy Sidewinder...

The underview of the Sidewinder on the top right clearly showing the missile bay doors and forward laser mount.
You're skilled, Storm. The Sidewinder looks amazing, how much faces has it?