Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

NPC-shields v 1.1 now available

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Re: NPC-shields v 1.1 now available

Post by OneoftheLost »

Ah. Ok, that makes sense. I asked because I noticed that the star count seemed to go down as well. Space looks much blacker with that pack installed. I didn't know if Griff had changed more things to make it online with Arc
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

McLane, I am about to try our your NPC shields. It's a great idea.

EDIT: I've just seen this:
NOTE: There is already code for giving ships with shield boosters or naval shield enhancements higher shield strength (256 and 384 respectively), but it's currently not active, as it may make NPCs too tough not only for the player, but also for fights among themselves. Also, enabling it would double the advantage for NPCs, because the Oolite code already gives them more max energy for shield boosters and enhancements. This cannot currently be taken back and 'transformed' into shield energy.
Can't this be worked around - by, say, giving ships with enhanced shields reduced energy? Perhaps the problem is that a ship's maximum energy is not adjustable via script. .
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

UK_Eliter wrote:
McLane, I am about to try our your NPC shields. It's a great idea.
Thanks. :D
UK_Eliter wrote:
NOTE: There is already code for giving ships with shield boosters or naval shield enhancements higher shield strength (256 and 384 respectively), but it's currently not active, as it may make NPCs too tough not only for the player, but also for fights among themselves. Also, enabling it would double the advantage for NPCs, because the Oolite code already gives them more max energy for shield boosters and enhancements. This cannot currently be taken back and 'transformed' into shield energy.
Can't this be worked around - by, say, giving ships with enhanced shields reduced energy? Perhaps the problem is that a ship's maximum energy is not adjustable via script.
Hm. You've given me an idea. Although the maximum energy is not adjustable as you say, the shield boosters and enhancements are removable by script. The NPC_shields script could therefore check for the presence of those, remove them, and exchange them for a higher shield strength.

I'm just experimenting a little with NPCs that have shield boosters. Removing the booster instantly reduces their max energy, so this would work. I don't see an effect with the shield enhancement, though. More experimenting is in order. But I think you can already expect something to come out of this. :)
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Commander McLane wrote:
Although the maximum energy is not adjustable as you say
A lot of things that are on the face of it not adjustable can be made (sort of) adjustable with a FrameCallBack.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1