Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Do you push your ship too hard?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

I fly an Adder with a pulse laser and I charge right into the midst of Pirate Asps all the time.
No votes
All the time. My trade route includes one or more Anarchies. Most of my income goes into equipment repairs.
23%
Regularly. My ship has been shot up countless times.
53%
I can hold my own in a fight, no matter the enemy, even in a pitiful Cobra Mk1.
7%
I avoid pirate gangs. I'm tired of repairing my [insert equipment name].
10%
Never! If I see a pirate Cobra Mk1, I turn my ship around and run.
3%
Never ever! If I see a pirate Cobra Mk1, I turn my Caduceus around and run like a maniac.
3%
I stopped playing Oolite because I die too much.
No votes
I stopped playing Oolite because I die too much while flying my Imperial Courier.
No votes

Total votes: 30

RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

if you're anything like me, you like to push your weak little ship to the max. If you have a 60% or higher chance of surviving, you charge right on in. :twisted:
But, how reckless are you in your ooniverse?
Last edited by DaddyHoggy on Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Corrected annoying typo in thread/poll name
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Do you push your ship to hard?

Post by JazHaz »

I voted for option two.: All the time. My trade route includes one or more Anarchies. Most of my income goes into equipment repairs.

If you've been following my sig, you can see I recently started a new commander. My Griff Cobra Mk.III has nearly all the equipment I want to make it an iron ass, but I've been trying to make enough money from trading to buy Military Shield Enhancement which at 47kcr is a lot for a new commander, and possibly also Thargoid's Anti-Missile System from Armouries OXP.

But try as I might, I keep getting equipment damaged that means my net credit balance is not going up by much, although my kills score is steadily going up.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Even though I don't own a Caduceus, I just had to select that option. Apologies for muddying the results :-)
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Do you push your ship too hard?

Post by Commander Wilmot »

I put option 2, because I have the toughguys (I don't remember which level) and npc shields oxps installed, and most of the ships I fight are Benulobiweed ships, Imperial Couriers, and Isis Interstellar. I perform random hits for a living and so I operate almost exclusively in anarchies, except for contracts that take me out of them or resupply runs.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Regularly. :?

Whenever my ship is not all bells and whistles, I have a tendency to forget that and still head right into the middle of any suspicious gathering.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

JazHaz wrote:
I voted for option two.: All the time. My trade route includes one or more Anarchies. Most of my income goes into equipment repairs.

If you've been following my sig, you can see I recently started a new commander. My Griff Cobra Mk.III has nearly all the equipment I want to make it an iron ass, but I've been trying to make enough money from trading to buy Military Shield Enhancement which at 47kcr is a lot for a new commander, and possibly also Thargoid's Anti-Missile System from Armouries OXP.

But try as I might, I keep getting equipment damaged that means my net credit balance is not going up by much, although my kills score is steadily going up.
I said "bugger that for a game of soldiers" today, and forked out 12,000 credits for the Ship Repair System!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I tend to play the game as close to 'real' as possible, thus I try to measure my risk/reward ratio for taking on a fight. If I 'die' I view that as the end of that save game, so I'm cautious and tend to only engage when the odds are in my favour... and know when to run!

I only restore a save game if I consider that something unfair in game has killed me (e.g. ship emerging from the docking bay as I attempt to dock)

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

It's a game. I do everything in game that I can't do in real live. It helps adjust the fulcrum of my psychology.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

My gaming style is similar to Drew's - I try to stay alive at all costs, and don't use savegames as a try-again mechanism although not quite as hardcore that I consider a savegame lost if I do die.

I will take on the odd contract (gives me an incentive to see the galaxy), and will try to help other traders, but I don't go out of my way looking for trouble.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

drew wrote:
I only restore a save game if I consider that something unfair in game has killed me (e.g. ship emerging from the docking bay as I attempt to dock)
Hmmm that brings to mind a question I've wanted to ask for a while.

Does the Docking Clearance Protocol that came into being from Oolite 1.72, stop ships from launching when a ship has permission to dock?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

JazHaz wrote:
Does the Docking Clearance Protocol that came into being from Oolite 1.72, stop ships from launching when a ship has permission to dock?
Yes.

In fact, the whole launching-ship-ramming-docking-player is what got that feature started in the first place. It's not everybody's cup of tea though, hence the ability to disable it.

Might make the station a bit smarter as well for the people not using Docking Clearance so that if it detects something other than debris in front of the docking slot that it won't launch anything. At least for a while anyways, and then it sends something hefty to shunt any blockders aside.. :twisted:
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

DCP is a must for me, as it makes the game much more 'real' for me.
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

JazHaz wrote:
Agreed. It's also good for convincing me to stay clean legally...
ClymAngus wrote:
It's a game. I do everything in game that I can't do in real live. It helps adjust the fulcrum of my psychology.
Same here. :D
JazHaz wrote:
drew wrote:
Hmmm that brings to mind a question I've wanted to ask for a while.

I've always wondered that, too. Good to know the answer. :)
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

RyanHoots wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Agreed. It's also good for convincing me to stay clean legally...
As opposed to staying clean illegally? :?

I don't have to worry much about being rammed by ships launching from station -- I request clearance first...it can even delay Pirate Coves briefly from launching. :)
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Switeck wrote:
I don't have to worry much about being rammed by ships launching from station -- I request clearance first...it can even delay Pirate Coves briefly from launching. :)
Hey, Boss, we've got a Cobbie 3 requesting docking clearance.
Right, acknowledge and bring .... wait, we don't have a docking clearance protocol here. Launch all fighters!