Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ship's Name

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Ship's Name

Post by Zireael »

Gimi wrote:
Actually, a set of override files in a "custom.oxp" should come with the game by default. That might make bug-hunting easier. If anybody wants to change something and asks on the bb the answer could be: (Change this file in custom.oxp). If something goes wrong: (move your "custom.oxp" out of your addons folder).
Brilliant idea.
DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Some buggy planet at the edge of the known universe

Post by DredgerMan »

another_commander wrote:
Find the section referring to your player ship in shipdata.plist, then change the display_name entry to reflect your ship's name (or add it if it is not there already), like this:
display_name = "MegaLethal MkIII";
Tada!
Am I correct in assuming that this would change the name for all of the same shiptypes? So, if I changed the name of a Cobra Mk III to say my_NON_Butterfly_ship ( :wink: ) in the plist it would change all of the Mk III names and I could fly along and when locking on a ship it would display my_NON_Butterfly_ship instead of Cobra Mk III?

Also, I take it that when it is an OXP ship, I would have to change it in the OXP shipdata.plist?
Flying The Sizzlin' Suzie VI, a trusty and venerable Boa Class Cruiser in Oolite 1.84 on

under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit
with a Geforce GT610 videocard
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

DredgerMan wrote:
another_commander wrote:
Find the section referring to your player ship in shipdata.plist, then change the display_name entry to reflect your ship's name (or add it if it is not there already), like this:
display_name = "MegaLethal MkIII";
Tada!
Am I correct in assuming that this would change the name for all of the same shiptypes? So, if I changed the name of a Cobra Mk III to say my_NON_Butterfly_ship ( :wink: ) in the plist it would change all of the Mk III names and I could fly along and when locking on a ship it would display my_NON_Butterfly_ship instead of Cobra Mk III?

Also, I take it that when it is an OXP ship, I would have to change it in the OXP shipdata.plist?
Nope.
The name of the player versions of the ships are unique. So the name will only change for the player version of the selected ship. That means your ship and identical ships offered for Sale under F3 F3.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DredgerMan »

NICE!!!

And Done!

Now only if I could remember how to take a snapshot to show the world :P
Flying The Sizzlin' Suzie VI, a trusty and venerable Boa Class Cruiser in Oolite 1.84 on

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

<shift> 8 aka *
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DredgerMan »

Thanks, Gimi!