Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ship's Name

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Some buggy planet at the edge of the known universe

Ship's Name

Post by DredgerMan »

HI all,

I am looking for a way to give a name to the ship I am currently using in Oolite to show it in my equipment screen. The name I was thinking of would be something like USS Moneymaker. Is there an OXP that can do that for me or is there a way I can do it myself?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Flying The Sizzlin' Suzie VI, a trusty and venerable Boa Class Cruiser in Oolite 1.84 on

under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit
with a Geforce GT610 videocard
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Ship's Name

Post by Smivs »

Hi Dredgerman,
It's a bit of a faff, but you'll need to sort of make it yourself. Copy the shipyard.plist and shipdata.plist for the ship you have (or want) and re-name it with the name you want. Add these to the ship's plists in the OXP (if it's an OXP ship) or package it up as an OXP and install it in AddOns. You will then need to buy one, and it will have the name you want.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DredgerMan »

Ok, thanks, Commander. Not the answer I was hoping for since I wanted to show the ship as being a dredger trader but to only display the name on the F5 somewhere. And it Soooooooooo goeas against my grain to buy a new ship when I forked out all of this cash to buy me one in the first place. :wink:
Flying The Sizzlin' Suzie VI, a trusty and venerable Boa Class Cruiser in Oolite 1.84 on

DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DredgerMan »

Alternatively, is there a way that I can obscure the Commander header on the F5 screen? That way I could save the file under the intended shipname and it would show up proper then.

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yeah, sorry, it's a far from perfect solution. Changing anything on the F5 screen is a bit tricky, in fact other than having your 'named ship' there there's not much you can do as far as I know.

Edit:- Off the wall idea, but why not save the game as your ship's name? It'll still be 'Commander something, but say you wanted your ship to be called 'Butterfly', save as 'Dredgerman:Butterfly' and you would see 'Commander Dredgerman:Butterfly' on F5 etc.
DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DredgerMan »

Ooooh, now that's a stellar idea!

Easy, simple to do and most importantly requires no coding! :P

Mind you, can't say I'm too hot about the butterfly suggestion. :lol:

But it's hard to be perfectly right twice in a row.

:wink:

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

DredgerMan wrote:
Mind you, can't say I'm too hot about the butterfly suggestion. :lol:
:D
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Find the section referring to your player ship in shipdata.plist, then change the display_name entry to reflect your ship's name (or add it if it is not there already), like this:
display_name = "MegaLethal MkIII";
Tada!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

another_commander wrote:
Find the section referring to your player ship in shipdata.plist, then change the display_name entry to reflect your ship's name (or add it if it is not there already), like this:
Tada!
Can I add an additional shipdata.plist to my personal config folder with that entry.
I have a gimi-custom.oxp where I have my keyboard layout, hud changes and it's like. I would want to do the changes in there if at all possible.

So could I get the shipdata.plist from my player ship, make the change, save in gimi-custom.oxp.
If this is possible, how would I make sure the right shipdata.plist takes precedence.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Gimi wrote:
Can I add an additional shipdata.plist to my personal config folder with that entry.
I have a gimi-custom.oxp where I have my keyboard layout, hud changes and it's like. I would want to do the changes in there if at all possible.
Yes. You can use shipdata-overrides.plist in your gimi-custom.oxp/Config folder as shown below:

Code: Select all

{
	cobra3-player = // or whatever entry name your player ship has in shipdata.plist
	{
	};
}
Save the above as shipdata-overrides.plist inside your custom settings OXP's Config folder and restart Oolite with Shift down. Job done.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Thank you very much.

Am I assuming correctly, that I can use this to add custom external views, change laser colour and so on without changing the original shipdata.plist?
This is much better, and more upgrade proof.
Last edited by Gimi on Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Gimi wrote:
Am I assuming correctly, that I can use this to add custom external views, change laser colour and so on without changing the original shipdata.plist?
This is much better, and more upgrade proof.
Yes.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Final question. (he hopes).

When I look in the other shipdata.plist files the ship name is in "xx". (What are " called in English, it eludes me right now)
Should your example be:

Code: Select all

{
   "cobra3-player" = // or whatever entry name your player ship has in shipdata.plist
   {
   };
}
or doesn't it matter.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

It doesn't matter, unless the entry contains whitespace characters.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Actually, a set of override files in a "custom.oxp" should come with the game by default. That might make bug-hunting easier. If anybody wants to change something and asks on the bb the answer could be: (Change this file in custom.oxp). If something goes wrong: (move your "custom.oxp" out of your addons folder).