Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by Griff »

I've uploaded a 'shorter gun patch' for this oxp here: http://www.box.net/shared/i9thf2ce2dsdmcoggkvx

download and extract the zip, then copy the 3 folders it contains into your current oolite addons griff_cobraIII_alt oxp folder, this will add in a new shorter gun dat model file and overwrite the current shipdata.plist with an updated one that references this new model
The short gun will be standard on the players cobraIII, and it will replace the pulse gun on the NPC cobra III's, the beam laser on the NPC ships will still be the longer gun
remember to hold down shift until the spinning cobraIII title screen appears the next time you start oolite in order to re-read in all your oxp files
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
I've uploaded a 'shorter gun patch' for this oxp here: http://www.box.net/shared/i9thf2ce2dsdmcoggkvx
Cool... many thanks Griff.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Possible error in Griff's ships. (Reported before but still there)
I get 4 or 5 of these errors in my log every time I play. (Currently the suspicion is that this is Griff's Ships related.

Code: Select all

17:16:19.165 [shader.uniform.unpermittedMethod]: Did not bind uniform "alertlevel" to property -[ShipEntity alertCondition] - unpermitted method.
17:16:22.173 [shader.uniform.unpermittedMethod]: Did not bind uniform "alertlevel" to property -[ShipEntity alertCondition] - unpermitted method.
The issue has previously been reported by El Viejo, and an answer was given by Ahurman here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 30#p103930

Not sure if this is supposed to be fixed or not.

Current version of Oolite: Trunk 1.75.4 rev. 4599
I have the following of Griff's OXP's installed:

griff_alloys_and_wreckage.oxp
griff_cobraIII _(alt)_subent missiles_multidecal.oxp
griff_cobraII_subent_missiles.oxp
griff_coriolis_normalmapped_alt.oxp
griff_missile_normalmapped.oxp
griff_rock_hermit_fullsize_textures.oxp
griff_shipset_all_in_1.oxp
multidecal_cobraIII_player.oxp
Shady black monks, Anarchies and YAH which feature Griff's work and possibly some more.
All OXP's are at the latest version as published on the bb or Wiki as of 19 aug. (Including the latest griff_cobraIII _(alt)_subent missiles_multidecal.oxp dated 18 aug that has not been announced on the bb)
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Gimi wrote:
Possible error in Griff's ships. (Reported before but still there)
I get 4 or 5 of these errors in my log every time I play. (Currently the suspicion is that this is Griff's Ships related.

Code: Select all

17:16:19.165 [shader.uniform.unpermittedMethod]: Did not bind uniform "alertlevel" to property -[ShipEntity alertCondition] - unpermitted method.
17:16:22.173 [shader.uniform.unpermittedMethod]: Did not bind uniform "alertlevel" to property -[ShipEntity alertCondition] - unpermitted method.
The issue has previously been reported by El Viejo, and an answer was given by Ahurman here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 30#p103930

Not sure if this is supposed to be fixed or not.

Current version of Oolite: Trunk 1.75.4 rev. 4599
<SNIP>
From memory it's when an NPC Griff ship tries to change from green to yellow/red alert - it works for the player but not for NPCs (i.e. the player's ship external lighting changes colour)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

yep, these "unpermitted method" log messages are definately caused by my OXP's, i think it's something to do with moments in game when the unbreakable rule 'the player is the players ship' gets broken by those crazy devs, i think these are times when you're looking at your ship spin on the 'load commander?' screen or floating away from you when you're in your escape pod, at these moments it's still getting player ship only shader bindings assigned to it but it's not actually the player ship anymore and you're having an out-of-ship experience
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Griff wrote:
yep, these "unpermitted method" log messages are definately caused by my OXP's, i think it's something to do with moments in game when the unbreakable rule 'the player is the players ship' gets broken by those crazy devs, i think these are times when you're looking at your ship spin on the 'load commander?' screen or floating away from you when you're in your escape pod, at these moments it's still getting player ship only shader bindings assigned to it but it's not actually the player ship anymore and you're having an out-of-ship experience
So, I wasn't wrong - I just definitely wasn't right either - I just remembered something vaguely coming up before about it not being the player ship... :oops:
Selezen wrote:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
i think these are times when you're looking at your ship spin on the 'load commander?' screen or floating away from you when you're in your escape pod,
Yep... those are the only times I get one of those errors, Griff. An out-of-ship experience, eh? Excellent!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
So, I wasn't wrong - I just definitely wasn't right either - I just remembered something vaguely coming up before about it not being the player ship... :oops:
I think you are right actually DH, it's player only shader bindings being applied to non player ships.
The NPC ships in my shipset can't use alertLevel so they only have 2 states - a calm one and an 'angry' one and they switch between the two using the 'isHostile' boolean
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Griff wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
I think you are right actually DH, it's player only shader bindings being applied to non player ships.
The NPC ships in my shipset can't use alertLevel so they only have 2 states - a calm one and an 'angry' one and they switch between the two using the 'isHostile' boolean
Somebody write that down! I remembered something!

:lol: :D
Selezen wrote:
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
From memory it's when an NPC Griff ship tries to change from green to yellow/red alert - it works for the player but not for NPCs (i.e. the player's ship external lighting changes colour)
Griff wrote:
Thank you for the enlightenment Gentlemen. I take it there is no current cure for this, and that one really isn't needed. I will ignore these from now on. When I dug in to the bb about this (with help from EV), I got the impression that this was fixed. Hence my question.
Thank you for clarifying.
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Somebody write that down! I remembered something!
:lol: :D
Your achievement is duly noted DH. :lol:
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

It will be remembered for a loooong time by me! ;)
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Was the Cobra III w/ subent missiles available as a player variant? the version i've got only has the NPC in the shipdata. i seem to recall some talk about subent missiles not working correctly for players, but i can't recall if this was a general thing or specifically about the Cobra.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Killer Wolf wrote:
Was the Cobra III w/ subent missiles available as a player variant? the version i've got only has the NPC in the shipdata. i seem to recall some talk about subent missiles not working correctly for players, but i can't recall if this was a general thing or specifically about the Cobra.
This is a general thing as Griff explains here.
With the current methods used, this is not practical to use on the player ships.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

cool, ta for the info. was hoping to have external missiles for the player variant of the Phantom, and my new ship the King Cobra, but never mind.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Killer Wolf wrote:
cool, ta for the info. was hoping to have external missiles for the player variant of the Phantom, and my new ship the King Cobra, but never mind.
Don't lose hope KW. :wink:

I've had a little think on this and in light of recent developments in custom missile displays of individual pylon icons on the hud, I believe there is at least a 75% chance of doing the external missile pylon concept(player version) correctly without breaking immersion.

I'm not ready yet to tackle this and it would require a specially made hud for the particular ship that can have external missiles but here are my thoughts on this.

Ships with external pylons should not have the missile directly as a subent but instead have a "pod" or "cannister" so as not to break immersion of what is on the external pylon.

The ship would have missile capacity equal to the inboard mounts plus the external pylons. The externals would be the first pylons and could be filled with some kind of empty icon(missile) when nothing is fitted or the missile has been used. This would prevent the missiles from sliding towards the #1 pylon as they are used and prevent problems.

The new ability to display any pylon at any position(or not) means that external pylons that are not even fitted with a cannister or pod don't even have to be displayed on the hud and only those that have a missile in them would have a relevant icon displayed instead of the empty icon. It is this new ability that I believe will maintain immersion for the player and allow external pylon pods(cannisters) to be buyable equipment for specific ships. Yeah, kind of a pain, but doable I believe.

Dummy equipment that can be purchased(EQ_EXTERNAL_PYLON_#) would allow the empty missile to be removed and replaced with whatever missile you like. Scripting could keep the empty missiles in place even when you unmount all missiles at the station.

When the external missile is fired it would be instantly replaced with the empty missile(icon).

I believe the rest of the scripting is currently covered with what is being done in Griff's external missile cobra III and the vortex.

These are just my thoughts based on what I currently know and in light of now being able to have a custom missile display on the hud. So keep your chin up KW 'cause its probably gonna happen. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs