Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by Griff »

That bug came up before in one of the older versionsof the shipset, i can't remember what it was now exactly other than that it was some mistake i made trying to tweak the oxp :roll:
i've uploaded replacements for the griff_normalmap_ships.vertex & griff_ferdelance_player_mainhull.fragment shader files here: http://www.box.net/shared/m6t0l2jcs940urtz5v1f if you overwrite the ones in the oxp with these then the log error whould be fixed and the fer-de-lance should appear all properly shaded in game
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Griff wrote:
That bug came up before in one of the older versionsof the shipset, i can't remember what it was now exactly other than that it was some mistake i made trying to tweak the oxp :roll:
i've uploaded replacements for the griff_normalmap_ships.vertex & griff_ferdelance_player_mainhull.fragment shader files here: http://www.box.net/shared/m6t0l2jcs940urtz5v1f if you overwrite the ones in the oxp with these then the log error whould be fixed and the fer-de-lance should appear all properly shaded in game
Griff, I only downloaded your all-in-one last week, on the 23rd July, and I got that same faulty shader file on the Fer-de-lance.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Wildeblood wrote:
Griff, I only downloaded your all-in-one last week, on the 23rd July, and I got that same faulty shader file on the Fer-de-lance.
I'm running the same version (latest all in one), and I don't see these errors. I have spawned both types of Griff Fer DeLance through the console, and no errors in the log. Could this possibly be graphics card related. Do you still see the errors after adding the bit of code the A_C gave you in another thread. I'm running on a nVidia Quadro mobile.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

hmm, on closer inspection, there's something a bit odd about the griff_ferdelance_player_mainhull.fragment, i don't like the look of this line

Code: Select all

vec4 microfleckTex = texture2D(uMicrofleckmap, (gl_TexCoord[0].st) * 30.0); 
that 'gl_TexCoord[0]' looks a bit suspect, and there's lots of texcoord = VtexCoord stuff going on that i don't think is needed, i'll have a look at it this evening when i can run the shader in Rendermonkey and have a mess about with it

edit: I think the error appearing depends on the implementation of OpenGl in the graphics card driver
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Wildeblood wrote:
Sorry, my mistake. It was the "Fer-de-lance" bit that caught my eye, but it was someone else's Fer-de-lance.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Hi,

Just wondering if there is a reason the Griff Moray's don't have a defined exhaust key (and hence no plume in game).
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've fixed the fer-de-lance shader (i hope) and updated the replacement shader zip a few posts above (http://www.box.net/shared/m6t0l2jcs940urtz5v1f), plus i've put the fix into the bundle at deephorizons.com and started uploading it, should be done in about an hour and a half! edit: completed! - so i hope the fix is correct! :roll:

@Capt. Murphy - i ran out of available textures to do the whole glowing exhaust effect on the moray so i left out any engines & plumes - i meant to go back and do some sort of rotating propellor thing for it, but i think i must have just lost interest before getting it done :lol:
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Griff wrote:
...i meant to go back and do some sort of rotating propellor thing for it, but i think i must have just lost interest before getting it done :lol:
Wow! What amazing honesty! How refreshing - no sign of handwavium being misused in dealing with IRL...
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Star Gazer wrote:
Griff wrote:
...i meant to go back and do some sort of rotating propellor thing for it, but i think i must have just lost interest before getting it done :lol:
Wow! What amazing honesty! How refreshing - no sign of handwavium being misused in dealing with IRL...
Indeed - and a perfectly good reason - I'm starting to know that feeling.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Added an alternative Cobra III oxp - this is a rather a high polygon model (3552 triangles!) and uses quite a few 2048x1024 sized textures so may be rather demanding on your computer and Oolite's framerate!
The oxp works alongside the griff_all_in_1 bundle oxp, if you don't have that installed you'll need to install the "Griff_Normalmapped_ship_decals" oxp from my box net site (link on page 1 of this thread) to see decals on the NPC ships (player ship decals are included in this oxp)
The oxp makes use of Thargoids subentity missile script.
Hopefully it all works, i've checked the logs there doesn't seem to be any errors but i'm bound to have overlooked something, it's about 10megabytes to download
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

She's a beauty Griff!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Waaah!! Just as my gfx card has started to misbehave! I like that a lot, Griff.

Looks great in-game... and as you said, no errors:

I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Good job Griff. :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Griff wrote:
this is a rather a high polygon model (3552 triangles!) and uses quite a few 2048x1024 sized textures so may be rather demanding on your computer and Oolite's framerate!
Just for testing i flew to an empty part of the system. Frame-rate was 99 there. I could not notice a frame-rate drop when just adding one. With the second I saw an effect. With 10 ships in drawing distance it dropped to 50. When all 10 had left my drawing distance (a bit more than scanner range for ships of this size) my fps rose back to 99. :wink:

But the ships are worth it. The difference between 50 and 99 is hardly noticeable in game.
Cody

Post by Cody »

I've not noticed any appreciable drop in fps in normal gameplay, Griff.
The player version has a lovely heat effect when sunskimming:

but threw a variety of these in the log, which I think only occur when sunskimming:

Code: Select all

11:54:59.187 [shader.uniform.set]: Set up uniform <OOShaderUniform 0x22b79a0>{15: float uHullHeatLevel = [<ShipEntity 0x21cc060> hullHeatLevel];}
11:54:59.187 [shader.uniform.set]: Set up uniform <OOShaderUniform 0x6e6f0e8>{16: float uTime = [<ShipEntity 0x21cc060> timeElapsedSinceSpawn];}
11:55:05.843 [shader.uniform.set]: Set up uniform <OOShaderUniform 0x22b79a0>{0: float engine_power = [<ShipEntity 0x8b57fd0> speedFactor];}
11:55:05.843 [shader.uniform.set]: Set up uniform <OOShaderUniform 0xcd05d48>{11: float hull_heat_level = [<ShipEntity 0x8b57fd0> hullHeatLevel];}
Personally, I think the gun is too long... otherwise, it's a lovely ship.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!