Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by Griff »

thanks guys, i'll sort this out and put an oxp up for download, we'll probably need 2 - one for cleaner looking cobra III and one for the scuffed looking one.
I was just looking into why Capt. Murphy had to specify a forward weapon for the cobra III in his code example and realised it was because of a bug in the current all-in-1 bundle pack where the player cobraIII has 'weapon_none' set as it's defaultm i'll get that sorted and updated on Cmdr. Cheyd's deep horizons link too
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi Griff... I've been getting an occasional log error since I installed the latest all-in-one OXP (v1.2.2), and the separate alloys and wreckage OXP:

Code: Select all

[ai.load.failed.unknownAI]: Can't switch AI for <ShipEntity 0x115cfbb8>{"Wreckage"} to "griff_wreckageAI.plist" - could not load file.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Oathbreaker
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Oathbreaker »

Newb here using "griff_shipset_all_in_1.oxp" and noticed while cycling through my external views with the "V" key that my own ship just looks the same as it always did, though the other Cobras get a spiffy paint job.

Also, the space stations... would love to see them in the bundle too.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Oathbreaker wrote:
my own ship just looks the same as it always did, though the other Cobras get a spiffy paint job.
Also, the space stations... would love to see them in the bundle too.
Hi Oathbreaker... See the first post in this thread for the method to skin your player Cobra.
The Coriolis stations are in the all-in-one, but no Dodo or Ico stations. A nice Dodo texture can be found here.
TheCapwagner
Harmless
Harmless

Post by TheCapwagner »

:) Hello
Please tell my
Which program you use to make the textures?
You use more than one?
Is there any free program I could use to do other things?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Hello TheCapwagner
I'm lucky enough to have access to Photoshop but i only really use the basics of it, the free image program "Gimp" http://www.gimp.org/ would make a great alternative, it has all the features i use when working and it's just laziness that i don't make more use of it.

Incidentally, There are some great texture painting tutorials here on the boards https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5580 and on the wiki http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Smivs' ... e_tutorial they'll explain the basic workflow, you'll just need add lots of free time and a big collection of metal and dirt/grime images (use google's image search for this)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

El Viejo wrote:
Hi Griff... I've been getting an occasional log error since I installed the latest all-in-one OXP (v1.2.2), and the separate alloys and wreckage OXP:

[ai.load.failed.unknownAI]: Can't switch AI for <ShipEntity 0x115cfbb8>{"Wreckage"} to "griff_wreckageAI.plist" - could not load file.
EV, is there an AIs folder in the alloys & wreckage oxp? There should be one but it got left out for a while ( i just checked box.net, the oxp up there does have it back in now!)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Ah... no, there is no AI folder in my copy. I'll re-download the OXP... thanks Griff.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

sorry about that, i'd uploaded it without the AI folder and wrote in the comments section on box "re-uploaded the oxp to include the missing AI folder" :roll:
Cody

Post by Cody »

<el viejo chuckles quietly... he does things like that>
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Got these errors in my log today with the latest version of alloys and wreckage. (These errors were discussed earlier in this thread, but they seem to still be there).
From my log

12:06:11.359 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefinedError]: ***** JavaScript exception (griff_spawn_sparks 1.0): Error: Vector3D.distanceTo: Could not construct vector from parameters (undefined) -- expected Vector, Entity or array of three numbers.
12:06:11.359 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefinedError]:       ../AddOns/griff_alloys_and_wreckage.oxp/Scripts/griff_spawn_sparks.js, line 9.
Without the slightest knowledge of JS, it looks to me as if the error existed in both "griff_spawn_wreckage.js" and "griff_spawn_sparks.js" but was only corrected in "griff_spawn_wreckage.js". Am I on the right track here?

Current version "griff_spawn_wreckage.js"

if(!this.ship || (player.ship.isValid && this.ship.position.distanceTo(player.ship.position) > 50000)) return; // exit the script if the explosion happens far from the player
Current version "griff_spawn_sparks.js"

if(!player.ship || !this.ship || this.ship.position.distanceTo(player.ship.position) > 50000) return; // exit the script if the explosion happens far from the player
Can I just copy and replace from spawn wreckage into spawn sparks?
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Yes, just replace

this.ship.position.distanceTo(player.ship.position)
with

(player.ship.isValid && this.ship.position.distanceTo(player.ship.position) > 50000))
in sparks.js.

or alternatively

!player.ship
and

!this.ship
with

!player.ship.isValid
and

!this.ship.isValid
[/color]
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Thank you, done.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the bug fix Thargoid! i've added that in and re-uploaded the oxp, and now since the oxp was in danger of becoming bug-free i've taken the opportunity to try out the velocity thing for the junk cloud i was asking about here:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=30

i *think* it's working, there's no errors in the log at least but it's not as amazingly cool as eric's military fiasco example as my exploding junk bits (cool name for a band!) don't inherit some of their parent's velocity when they spawn
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Hi I've got this error message in my log.
15:05:59.680 [shader.load.fullModeFailed]: ----- WARNING: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_ferdelance_player_mainhull.fragment in full complexity mode, trying simple mode.
15:05:59.717 [shader.link.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL shader program linking failed for griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_ferdelance_player_mainhull.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
Fragment shader uses varying gl_TexCoord but vertex shader does not write to it.

15:05:59.718 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_ferdelance_player_mainhull.fragment.
15:05:59.918 [shader.link.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL shader program linking failed for griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_ferdelance_player_mainhull.fragment:
Any fix for this. Thanks.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"