Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Picking up escape pods

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Picking up escape pods

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
I would like the option of murdering a captured pirate in a horrible way, like in Random Hits oxp. So when a pirate causes you damage and really annoys you and just shooting his pod doesn't quite seem to fit your mood then you can really be evil! :twisted:
I like this idea, twisted and cold that it is.

"Think you're going to pay off the Po' and walk away? I don't think so, mister! You, me, and this here wielding torch are going to have a conversation..." :twisted:
I must admit that on a couple of occasions I had captured the pirate from a group of ships that shot up my ship bad. I immediately spaced the pod and shot it. If the pirate had begged for his life and paid me a bribe I would probably have changed my mind and had some mercy. Future oxp perhaps. :wink:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

If you capture one of my Fer-de-Lance 3G pirates, or rescue one of the police or military or bounty hunter versions, you can get quite a big reward.

Just my tuppence worth.
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

I didn't have space in my cargo hold...and I did NOT know that you can fire a military laser solid at an escape pod at have your weapons system overheat, but the escape pod sustain NO damage. Meeeeeeeeeh...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Dragonfire wrote:
I didn't have space in my cargo hold...and I did NOT know that you can fire a military laser solid at an escape pod at have your weapons system overheat, but the escape pod sustain NO damage. Meeeeeeeeeh...
This sounds like a bug. An escape pod should be turned to dust almost instantly by any laser. Are you sure you hit the pod?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I may have seen similar misses with spinning Thargons -- the shots appeared to pass through them, but if I was hitting them I was only hitting their edges. Dead-on their centers were (best I could tell) always a hit.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Fatleaf wrote:
I would like the option of murdering a captured pirate in a horrible way, like in Random Hits oxp. So when a pirate causes you damage and really annoys you and just shooting his pod doesn't quite seem to fit your mood then you can really be evil! :twisted:
Just today, when I had beaten off a pirate attack and it had been a toughie, as I went to scoop the attacker's escape pod, my fingers did something without my brain's intervention.

Just as the escape pod came clearly into view and was about to be scooped, my fingers briefly hit the "nose down" and "injectors" keys.

BANG!

as the pod hit my shields and shattered.

I wonder how long it took the pirate to die? Was it instant? Did (s)he see me approach through the viewport and think they were to be rescued? Was the fugitive still strapped into the seat, conscious, as they were flung over my ship and into the engine's flare before the vacuum of space freeze-dried the remains of the body? Smashed, cooked or frozen?

Who cares? It's all lost reward money.

Bad fingers! Bad!
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Azured
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Azured »

Well I just had a complete attitude overhaul towards picking up escape pods.

I have Deep Space Dredgers installed, and the OXP occasionally spawns a field of derelict spacecraft "after a big battle", with recently launched escape pods to boot. It seems that most of the ejected participants were well insured traders, as I got a hefty 500Crs from each, and I picked up five or so of them! :D

The derelict spacecraft aren't worth that much in salvage, but the fat pirate Pythons which come for the spoils are a completely different matter... :twisted:
I like my women how I like my laser beams: Thin and bristling with concealed power.