Picking up escape pods

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

greenseng
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Picking up escape pods

Post by greenseng »

Dragonfire wrote:
Smivs wrote:
While true, half the escape capsule you collect will have an insurance payout of 250 -500 Cr, far more than the max 40Cr you'll make on the computers.
Funny thing is, I usually got closer to 90-100 CR per ton of computers (I always try and sell them in lower tech systems), and I usually only get about that amount, if not less, for the escape pods. Are we talking about the same galaxy, here?

As usual, I am not sure I have understood everything in the right way in the thread. But...

You usually buy computers on Rich Industrial planets - and sell them on Poor Agriculturally systems.

You buy them for about approximately 60 Cr and sell them for about 100 Cr. That makes about 40 Cr in profit. ( 100 - 60 = 40).

A rescued trader ( not a captured pirat ) may sometime give a lot of money because of his ( or hers ) insurance.
When it comes to captured pirates things gets more complicated because of taxes and sometimes bribes. And the money flies away.

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

And sometimes you have to buy the rescued pilot dinner. :P
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
greenseng
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by greenseng »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:

..... :lol:

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
And if the rescued pilot is a green frog, it sometimes is my dinner. :P
Greenseng wrote:
You buy them for about approximately 60 Cr and sell them for about 100 Cr. That makes about 40 Cr in profit. ( 100 - 60 = 40).
But if you ditch a ton computers to scoop a pilot, you don't lose the difference, but the whole value of the computers. And that is minimal 60 cr and 80cr on average.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Dragonfire wrote:
Smivs wrote:
While true, half the escape capsule you collect will have an insurance payout of 250 -500 Cr, far more than the max 40Cr you'll make on the computers.
Funny thing is, I usually got closer to 90-100 CR per ton of computers (I always try and sell them in lower tech systems), and I usually only get about that amount, if not less, for the escape pods. Are we talking about the same galaxy, here?
Smivs meant 40 Credits profit per TC of computers. Chances are you spent ~62 credits for each of them. If you spent more than that, you didn't have to. :mrgreen:

So, tossing a TC of computers is a direct loss of ~62 credits and an opportunity cost of 100-102 credits (most it can sell for).
An Escape Pod can be worth 500 credits, so it's often a fair deal. You could possibly go back to get the computers later if you know exactly where you left them (and nobody else grabs them in the meantime)...just remember to drop them while at a dead stop (or dead slow) so they have very little drift. Leaving the system clears all dropped items as does reloading from savegame...like after getting killed.

Also, you only have to carry an escape pod to the nearest station, so it's often not hard to go back later.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Or just keep one or two TC of cargo space empty just in case you come across an escape capsule. :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

I would like the option of murdering a captured pirate in a horrible way, like in Random Hits oxp. So when a pirate causes you damage and really annoys you and just shooting his pod doesn't quite seem to fit your mood then you can really be evil! :twisted:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Mis-jump and feed him to the Thargoids :twisted:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

If the scooped pods remained on your manifest as unique cargo items, instead of slaves, you could then pick and choose who you took home – e.g. "Ready to eject Ab Dionabonfire", etc. As a technical issue it would be good to be able to scroll through exactly who you have in the hold, and it could open up mission possibilities for OXP creators.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Disembodied wrote:
As a technical issue it would be good to be able to scroll through exactly who you have in the hold,
Then you could even send one in a never ending close orbit around a star :P
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Fatleaf wrote:
Then you could even send one in a never ending close orbit around a star :P
That's not funny. :evil:
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

One thing I would like to see is the occasional pod with no exhaust, tumbling, scorched and sparks coming out. Scoop it like normal and when you turn it in at the station there is a reward for the body inside and occasionally it is someone important with a big reward payout. Perhaps a 10% finders fee of the deceased persons meager estate. Or a personal reward by a family member in the form of an item(equipment) or money or cargo. Or a mission offer for REVENGE to get the ones that did it(after the pods black box is analyzed). Might make a good oxp. :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Fatleaf wrote:
I would like the option of murdering a captured pirate in a horrible way, like in Random Hits oxp. So when a pirate causes you damage and really annoys you and just shooting his pod doesn't quite seem to fit your mood then you can really be evil! :twisted:
I like this idea, twisted and cold that it is.

"Think you're going to pay off the Po' and walk away? I don't think so, mister! You, me, and this here wielding torch are going to have a conversation..." :twisted:
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Smivs wrote:
Mis-jump and feed him to the Thargoids :twisted:
Yum yum! :P
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Smivs wrote:
Or just keep one or two TC of cargo space empty just in case you come across an escape capsule. :D
I ALWAYS leave 10 tons of cargo space empty in anticipation of picking up debris and escape pods.