Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

v01i0
Average
Average

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by v01i0 »

Hello,

Can anybody give me some advice with using shipdata-overrides.plist included in griff_shipset_all_in_1_v.1.1?

I am bit bothered because some OXPs seems to meddle with Griffs normalmapped ship textures and replaces them with older or not-so-good-looking textures (at least to my taste).. I'd like all ship textures to be those of Griffs...

As far as I understand I can use shipdata-overrides.plist to force oolite to show certain ship textures (or perhaps I have misunderstood it?).

The problem is, that I don't know what to type in shipdata-overrides.plist.

Take the Anaconda for example. Shipdata-overrides.plists reads:

Code: Select all

"anaconda" =
   { 
   roles = "unused"; 
   };   
But what I am to supposed type in there in order to set anaconda textures those contained in griff_shipset_all_in_1_v.1.1?

Any help appreciated with thanks :)

-v
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

v01i0 wrote:

But what I am to supposed type in there in order to set anaconda textures those contained in griff_shipset_all_in_1_v.1.1?
Nothing.
The shipdata_overrides.plist is telling the game not to use the standard anaconda, so Griff's will become the default.
Are you also using any other shipsets?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
v01i0
Average
Average

Post by v01i0 »

Smivs wrote:
Nothing.
The shipdata_overrides.plist is telling the game not to use the standard anaconda, so Griff's will become the default.
Are you also using any other shipsets?
Hello and thanks for replying,

Not exactly shipset no, but I think some of the expansions may have added some ships with other textures, because sometimes I see ships in space with other than Griff's textures. I noticed this when I added some expansions, but I am unsure which one. Here are the expansions that I have active:

Anarchies2.5.oxp
Basic-debug.oxp
CargoScanner.oxp
CombinedSounds.oxp
FighterHud.oxp
griff_shipset_all_in_1.oxp
interstellar_help.oxp
keykonfig.oxp
multidecal_cobraIII_player.oxp
Naval Grid 1.00.oxp
nukes0.97.oxp
offender_traders.oxp
PlanetFall1.41.oxp
PlanetFall Link - Black Monks.oxp
sell_equipment.oxp
Shady_blackmonks.oxp
System_Redux.oxp
Target Autolock Plus 1.12.oxp
UPS-courier v1.7.7.oxp
Z_GrOovy_System_Stations.oxp

Somehow I still have other than Griff textures floating around. However, when I see Anaconda for sale in shipyard, it has Griff's textures - but when I see one flying in space, it uses some other textures.

I am unsure why this is and would like to change this... So I thought of shipdata_overrides.plist...

-v
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I'm guessing but I think it might be offender-traders (as the anaconda is a trader).
You might be able to sort this out by changing the shipdata.plist for that OXP (or whichever is supplying the anacondas) to give them the Griff textures.
First I'd remove that OXP and play a bit to see if the other anacondas have gone. If they have you'll know which OXP is adding them to the game, and you'll know which one needs tweaking.
Let us know how you get on.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

I've a feeling that the bounty hunters that chase you if you're an offender/fugitive in Anarchies use the default Oolite textures...
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
I'm guessing but I think it might be offender-traders (as the anaconda is a trader).
I doubt it... offender traders oxp uses the Griff Anaconda model in my game okay.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Twas only a guess........
v01i0
Average
Average

Post by v01i0 »

Smivs wrote:
You might be able to sort this out by changing the shipdata.plist for that OXP (or whichever is supplying the anacondas) to give them the Griff textures.
First I'd remove that OXP and play a bit to see if the other anacondas have gone. If they have you'll know which OXP is adding them to the game, and you'll know which one needs tweaking.
Let us know how you get on.
Maybe you're on something here, although it might not be offender-trader, as the anacondas that were other than Griff's textured, were not offenders but legit and clean traders. Although I am pretty sure that finding the OXP that causes this can be probably be modified to show correct textures, as you suggest.

Just before I posted my last reply, I removed Aurora.oxp (the one with huge passenger ship) and right after I encountered an Anaconda with Griff's textures. Could be a chance though. But I let you know if I can pin point the problem. If I encounter another miss-textured ships, I try to remember to pay attention to the enviromental conditions to figure out in where and under which condidition they appear.

Thanks for all the replies - I'll check back when I have something to report.

-v
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

It's the way Griffs shipset works - it is no replacement set. The shipdata-override changes the entry for the roles, but does not replace the complete entity entry. So any OXP that has a reference to the original (e.g.) Anaconda will still use the original data set. Probably the easiets way is to change Griffs OXP instead of frickling around with all other OXPs.
moscom
Above Average
Above Average

Post by moscom »

I hope this is the right place to ask, but i would like to know if i can use a couple of Griff's
ship images in a presentation? It's only my own personal thing but i would like to know if
Griff has lisensed his images that are on the wiki ( "They'rrrrrrrre Great! -- :-S btw :-) ?

8)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

If you have a direct question to Griff, I'd suggest you send him a PM.
moscom
Above Average
Above Average

Post by moscom »

I did consider doing that; i thought it might have been something that had been asked
before though - so this looked a likely place.

Thanks, i will send him a PM then. :)
moscom
Above Average
Above Average

Post by moscom »

Have done now. I'll leave you gentleman to the finer points of the game. "Griff's ships for all!" :-) Please! 8)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

moscom wrote:
"Griff's ships for all!" :-) Please! 8)
Not for me, thanks. Griff's ships are things of great beauty, unless like me you have a non-shader computer in which case they are too dark and hard to see. I'll stick to my shipset for now at least. :D
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Greenseng really likes your Boa Clipper and I tend to agree with him. great job! :)

Not to derail this thread I must say I like griff's ships but like Smivs I have a nonshader computer and they are too dark for me to use as the standard ships. Also if most of the ships are too dark and menacing it tends to get depressing to look at. It's a game after all. Should be fun for the eye and food for the soul! Like to shoot evil looking ships however... :wink:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs