Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

I'm not sure I like 1.75 (Fixed)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

I'm not sure I like 1.75 (Fixed)

Post by luminous »

Just downloaded the new version and took flight, thought things look "off", so I decided to fresh install and it still looked as bad. For some reason whenever I start to move all the stars disappear and the screen basically goes dark :(

Going to stick with 1.74 for now :)
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: I'm not sure I like 1.75

Post by Gimi »

luminous wrote:
Just downloaded the new version and took flight, thought things look "off", so I decided to fresh install and it still looked as bad. For some reason whenever I start to move all the stars disappear and the screen basically goes dark :(

Going to stick with 1.74 for now :)
That does not happen on my system. 1.75 looks much the same, but is way faster. Don't know if anything has been done to speed things up, but my frame rate in heavy systems has near doubled. (I play on a laptop, good one, but still)
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: I'm not sure I like 1.75

Post by luminous »

Hold on...all my fault. Got a new cheap second hand second monitor....its display lag :lol:

When I play on my primary screen in either version the issue goes. I was really scratching my head this morning when I recovered the game to a backup that was v1.74 and it still looked really bad! Silly monitor....
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Re: I'm not sure I like 1.75 (Fixed)

Post by Makandal »

Anyone can give me a good reason why I should move to 1.75 ? Is there better graphism ? Better gameplay ?

My concern is that I am not ready to abandon some good OXP because they are not compatible. If the improvement is not that much, I might stay on 1.74
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Which OXPs are you referring to? Some may work (with warnings) still under 1.75.0 (although maybe not 1.75.1), and in any case most should be relatively easy to fix.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Makandal wrote:
Anyone can give me a good reason why I should move to 1.75 ?
Because it is now Oolite? :wink: And 1.74.2 is merely a now-obsolete stepping stone between the nothing-that-once-was and the Oolite-that-now-is. It has become part of the heritage tree of Oolite, nothing more.

In very broad strokes, any previous version of Oolite—be it 1.69.1.1 (yes, we had that; it was called the Argh, That Wasn’t Supposed to Happen Edition) or 1.74.2—is a less perfect predecessor of the Oolite-that-now-is. It contained bugs which are no more in the current version (yes, new bugs have been introduced as well, but the general idea is that these are getting less and less while we're heading for a stable release).

True, OXPs have to be updated on the way, but this is in no way different for the step from 1.74.n to 1.75 than it was for the step from 1.69.n to 1.70. In a couple of weeks you'll find that most of the OXPs are updated, and many of the available downloads won't even work with anything less than 1.75. And why should they? To use a comparison: you don't manufacture spare parts and custom modifications for cars which no longer exist—except it's collectibles, but obsolete previous versions of software usually aren't. :wink:
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

Ok, thanks, it makes the move more clear. Commander McLane seems to describe an alchemist task: changing lead in gold through calcination and other operations... One question which is however not answered: is there a change in the graphics or in the GUI ?

What will happen to my save commanders ? Is there an upgrade path for the saves ?
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Makandal wrote:
One question which is however not answered: is there a change in the graphics or in the GUI ?
No.
Makandal wrote:
What will happen to my save commanders ? Is there an upgrade path for the saves ?
Nothing, they stay the same and continue to be used. -and- No, because one is irrelevant/not needed (see previous answer).
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

HOLA!
so I can download the new 1.75 over my 1.74 and still keep my saved comander..?? that is "jolly good, old man"
Yah-Ta-Hey
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

It's a good idea to copy and save a save-file once in a while just in case. Although nothing will/should go wrong when you update, it might be as good time to start.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
HOLA!
so I can download the new 1.75 over my 1.74 and still keep my saved comander..?? that is "jolly good, old man"
Yah-Ta-Hey
I would suggest that you don't install the new version over the old version. Better you install it into a new folder next to your old Oolite folder. Then you move your save-file folder (and any additional things which you have saved in your old Oolite folder) into the new Oolite folder, and finally delete/uninstall the old Oolite installation.
lohwengk
Competent
Competent

Post by lohwengk »

Downloaded and installed 1.75 last night. It's slower than 1.74.2 on my laptop running Windows Vista.

I usually get 21-23 fps on 1.74.2, when in regular flight, with only some of the equipment oxps. But it drops to 17-19 fps on 1.74.2, with very much the same oxps (the only difference is that I upgraded the IronHide oxp). Combat is also more jerky in the new version of Oolite.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

lohwengk wrote:
Downloaded and installed 1.75 last night. It's slower than 1.74.2 on my laptop running Windows Vista.

I usually get 21-23 fps on 1.74.2, when in regular flight, with only some of the equipment oxps. But it drops to 17-19 fps on 1.74.2, with very much the same oxps (the only difference is that I upgraded the IronHide oxp). Combat is also more jerky in the new version of Oolite.
You may have to update your OXPs. Many of your old OXPs won't work with Oolite 1.75, and may be so busy with logging error messages that you may see a speed decrease. Have a look over the [wiki]OXP List[/wiki] on the Wiki to get the latest versions of your OXPs. There is also a thread here on the boards about OXPs which need to be updated for 1.75.

As for Combat: NPCs have become smarter in Oolite 1.75. They avoid your fire more actively than before. What I experience is that instead of sitting still (or flee in a straight line) until I've killed them, they now perform a lot more evasive manoeuvers, making it harder to hit them. Annoying as it is first, I find that actually an improvement. :)
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Commander McLane wrote:
As for Combat: NPCs have become smarter in Oolite 1.75. They avoid your fire more actively than before. What I experience is that instead of sitting still (or flee in a straight line) until I've killed them, they now perform a lot more evasive manoeuvers, making it harder to hit them. Annoying as it is first, I find that actually an improvement. :)
I agree, combat with NPCs is a lot better with Oolite 1.75
lohwengk
Competent
Competent

Post by lohwengk »

Commander McLane, DGill,

I suck at combat, so I did not notice any difference in the AI. When I said that combat was jerky, I meant that my frame rate often dropped to 14 or 15 (I think), at least, in 1.75. It wasn't as bad in 1.74.2, once I removed all my ship oxps.
Many of your old OXPs won't work with Oolite 1.75, and may be so busy with logging error messages that you may see a speed decrease.
I have upgraded the oxps I use. The log does not show any error messages, I think. Anyway, here's my latest log file.
[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.75 (x86-32 test release) under Windows at 2011-03-11 06:22:31 +0800.
2 processors detected.
Build options: spoken messages, mass/fuel pricing, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support, JavaScript profiling.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1280 x 800
[joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
Resources
../AddOns
../AddOns/ACS_1.2.oxp
../AddOns/BountyScannerv2.0.oxp
../AddOns/CompactRedDotHud.oxp
../AddOns/display_reputation.oxp
../AddOns/IronHide 2.00.oxp
../AddOns/Missile Analyser 1.2.oxp
../AddOns/Missiles and Bombs v2.4.oxp
../AddOns/nukes0.97.oxp
../AddOns/Ore_processor 1.58.oxp
../AddOns/Rock_Hermit_Locator1.3.2.oxp
../AddOns/Target Autolock Plus 1.12.oxp
../AddOns/Target Reticle 1.2.1.oxp
../AddOns/Welcome Mat 1.11.oxp
[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.4.0 ("1.4.0 - Build 7.14.10.1437"). Vendor: "Intel". Renderer: "Intel 945GM".
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (49):
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_cull_vertex, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_SGIS_texture_lod
[rendering.opengl.gpuSpecific]: Matched GPU configuration "Intel GMA 900/950 family".
[rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders will not be used (OpenGL extension GL_ARB_shading_language_100 is not available).
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 17 world scripts:
Automatic Chaff System 1.2 - for Oolite 1.74
Bounty Scanner 2.0 2.00
display-reputation-contract 1.1
display-reputation-passenger 1.1
IronHide Armour Script 2.00
missile_analyser 1.2
Missiles & Bombs 1.0
oolite-cloaking-device 1.75
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.75
oolite-nova 1.75
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.75
oolite-trumbles 1.75
oreProcessor 1.57
reticle_target_sensitive 1.2.1
rockHermit_Locator 1.3.3
targetAutolock 1.11
Welcome Information Script 1.1
[loading.complete]: ========== Loading complete. ==========
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 17 world scripts:
Automatic Chaff System 1.2 - for Oolite 1.74
Bounty Scanner 2.0 2.00
display-reputation-contract 1.1
display-reputation-passenger 1.1
IronHide Armour Script 2.00
missile_analyser 1.2
Missiles & Bombs 1.0
oolite-cloaking-device 1.75
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.75
oolite-nova 1.75
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.75
oolite-trumbles 1.75
oreProcessor 1.57
reticle_target_sensitive 1.2.1
rockHermit_Locator 1.3.3
targetAutolock 1.11
Welcome Information Script 1.1
[gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2011-03-11 08:44:57 +0800.