Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Turbulence

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Turbulence

Post by Bugbear »

Don't know whether this belongs in Discussions or Suggestions to be honest...

Just spent an idle 20min at work watching some Oolite videos on YouTube. Watching a ship closely following, then passing another ship got me thinking...would it be cool to have some turbulence effects as ships get close to each other?

As we all know, our ships propel themselves through some sort of non-Newtonian medium. It could be argued that if your torus drive won't work when there's another ship in scanner range, then surely there would be an effect on your sub-light(?) speed drive as engines from different ships get close to one another.

Something to think about post-MNSR?
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Turbulence

Post by Commander McLane »

You already get some kind of effect when two ships come very close to each other. To be precise if one ship gets in the way of the other and is recognized as an obstacle. In this case the second ship will change course to avoid the obstacle.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Commander McLane wrote:
You already get some kind of effect when two ships come very close to each other. To be precise if one ship gets in the way of the other and is recognized as an obstacle. In this case the second ship will change course to avoid the obstacle.
ROTFL!
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Commander McLane wrote:
if one ship gets in the way of the other and is recognized as an obstacle. In this case the second ship will change course to avoid the obstacle.
Not always...especially Arn from the vector mission has friends who like flying so close that they all the time hit each other with their ships and when I fly close to the leader, I often hear a little bang when they hit my ship :D
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Umm, what's there to actually be turbulent? Space is a vacuum...
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Thargoid wrote:
Umm, what's there to actually be turbulent? Space is a vacuum...
If I understood it properly, the idea is that whatever makes the sub-light work, something like a gravitational field, EM or whatever, does also effect nearby ships when they are too close.

However, I'm afraid that all those ships which previously rammed me on injectors and now pass by so close that I'm still afraid of being rammed will then actually hit me again :D