Oolite is too dark...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite is too dark...

Post by Commander McLane »

Make some tests by changing the ambient_light value to vastly different numbers, like 0.001 and then 1000.

Any change will only have an effect the next time you restart Oolite. Don't forget to hold down SHIFT when you restart the game, otherwise changes will not be recognized.

If you don't see any difference at all between changing the value, there are a couple of possible explanations.

a) Your planetinfo.plist isn't syntactically correct and therefore not recognized by the game. If you're on Windows and have used Notepad to create it, please throw the whole thing away and create another planetinfo.plist with Wordpad. Never use Notepad for editing anything Oolitey.

b) Your planetinfo.plist is syntactically correct, but saved at some wrong place. You can put it either directly in your AddOns-folder, or in a folder named 'Config' inside your AddOns folder. Note the spelling and upper/lower-cases. It needs to be 'AddOns', not 'addOns' or 'Addons'; and it needs to be 'Config', not 'config'.

c) One of your OXPs is overwriting your value with its own value for ambient_light, thereby nullifying any change you made. A known culprit is System Redux.oxp. Please post a list of your OXPs, so we can rule that one out.

Better still: please post your latest.log, which will tell us about possible syntax errors and OXP related problems.
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

Ok, I did this, but I'm not pleased. Of course, when I increase ambient_level, all is visible from distance, but after I close all looks "cartoonish". But I understand, it is impossible to make only ships brighter, and rest in normal saturation.
Ok. How I can make crosshair more visible? I've changed its color to white, but even white is not "white and bright". It looks like light grey.
A4000 060/50, 16 MB RAM, A1200 E/BOX Tower, Apollo 1240/25 MHz 34 MB RAM, HDD 40 GB; LiteOn 52x32x52, A1200 E1230/40 18 MB RAM, CD-32+SX-1 10 MB RAM, A500, CDTV, A600, C-64, C-64+1541-II, C-64G, C-16
Still hunting in Edriuson (G3) for Deadly status...
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I set ambient_light to 3.00. Makes enough of a difference for me to notice ships easier, but does not make them look cartoonish.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

OSH wrote:
Ok. How I can make crosshair more visible? I've changed its color to white, but even white is not "white and bright". It looks like light grey.
you also need to set the crosshairs transparency: 0% transparent means they're solid. If they're still somewhat transparent, it's because of the overall hud transparency.

Setting the overall hud transparency to 0 will make the crosshairs totally solid, but you might have to tweak the transparency of the other hud components... :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

Kaks wrote:
you also need to set the crosshairs transparency: 0% transparent means they're solid. If they're still somewhat transparent, it's because of the overall hud transparency.
Where I can find this parameter?
A4000 060/50, 16 MB RAM, A1200 E/BOX Tower, Apollo 1240/25 MHz 34 MB RAM, HDD 40 GB; LiteOn 52x32x52, A1200 E1230/40 18 MB RAM, CD-32+SX-1 10 MB RAM, A500, CDTV, A600, C-64, C-64+1541-II, C-64G, C-16
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

OSH wrote:
Kaks wrote:
Where I can find this parameter?
I can't find a documentation on hud.plist in the Wiki. Does it exist? If not, it would be nice for somebody to put it up.

Anyway, in hud.plist I see at least the overall_alpha key. Perhaps the crosshair transparency can be set by something like crosshair_alpha?
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

No, it doesn't help...

!!!EDIT!!!
Yahoo, I did it! I've set overall_alpha to 10.0, and all is more visible!!!