'Outsider' Cancelled, or not cancelled?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: 'Outsider' Cancelled, or not cancelled?

Post by drew »

ClymAngus wrote:
Oooo pretty camera moves.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_D0Fh7u2j8

Really tempted to get it now! Must resist the camera tilty space battle goodness!
What I could do if we had that kind of camera in Oolite... :cry:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

drew wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
Oooo pretty camera moves.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_D0Fh7u2j8

Really tempted to get it now! Must resist the camera tilty space battle goodness!
What I could do if we had that kind of camera in Oolite... :cry:

Cheers,

Drew.
Working it out that camera is doing a LOT of stuff.
Focus on the ships centre.
Static in space for fly pasts
changing focus to other units
circling
zooms
close ups
detaching and refocusing on the fly.

There is a lot of code behind that camera and the tactical capacity of it is instrumental to the game. Not sure how that would translate to oolite. The two things that would look really cool would be missile vapor trails and lens flare explosions.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

What can be done in Oolite is creating a few camera positions different from the usual ones. For instance there is no need to have the ship in or near the centre of the view.

But that would of course not remove the limitation that 'V' only cycles through the complete array of pre-defined camera positions which makes switching between positions a little awkward. Perhaps if you could restrain yourself to two positions only the result would look more natural.

And the whole having-to-pre-define-issue is a limitation as well, of course.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

You also still get the cross-hairs and the laser appropriate to the set view, regardless of where the view location actually is.

I had a quick play with this idea (putting a few 25km in front of the ship as a "long range scanner" for example, but it just looked very weird when you pressed the fire key. And I couldn't see a way around that without screwing up the other views.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Hm. You could create a position 30km in front of your ship and see whether the laser beam really ends there.

I guess view positions this far out also would look really weird as soon as you climb or dive. Close-by objects would move through the field of view really fast.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Commander McLane wrote:
What can be done in Oolite is creating a few camera positions different from the usual ones. For instance there is no need to have the ship in or near the centre of the view.

But that would of course not remove the limitation that 'V' only cycles through the complete array of pre-defined camera positions which makes switching between positions a little awkward. Perhaps if you could restrain yourself to two positions only the result would look more natural.

And the whole having-to-pre-define-issue is a limitation as well, of course.
OK so what we're saying is oolite (when the V key is pressed says; go to the shiplist and grab the <key>custom_views</key> array and switch between them whenever the v key is pressed.

So there are various potions here each with varying degrees of coding bodge and clunk. You could create a program that will write the camera moves for you, then just write it out to a text file that you could insert into the shiplist before starting the game. Of course you'd have a HUGE array list AND you'd have to auto cycle the V key.

That's the coding equivalent of pulling teeth. I would much prefer hijacking the V key and the variables attached to it altogether. If that could be done then your looking into reading in simple lists or even getting it key or mouse responsive. Ideally V key into a mouse operated circle, zoom and move to selected ships. After that you can look into static cameras in space as ***t flies past it.

This is all blue sky thinking of course. It is at EVERY point susceptible to the "needs fixing in core" beating stick.

OK so the pre-define thing is a serious show stopper. Because you wouldn't be pre-defining you would eventually be altering on the fly. Pre-defining would also cause problems with zooming
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

What I wrote is (to my knowledge) exactly what can be done short of altering the code.

So yes, if you want anything more, it's post-MNSR, because we're in a feature-freeze.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Commander McLane wrote:
What I wrote is (to my knowledge) exactly what can be done short of altering the code.

So yes, if you want anything more, it's post-MNSR, because we're in a feature-freeze.
That's cool, if we did know then we wouldn't ask. :)

Soooo, we're talking a program that can calculate the XYZ and relative Quaternion points to put the camera at 0,0,0 THEN create enough views in the ship list so that someone can V through it (whilst recording the video output) to create a faked loop around.

Sure you may have to in between the created frames to smooth the loop. But that's about the bleeding edge of doable at this current juncture. :)

Sorry ML, didn't mean any offence by my earlier statement. My capacity for airing frustration is unfortunately verbose at times.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

http://gdc.gamespot.com/story/6301740/h ... ook-flight

"After the main portion of the talk, Braben was asked by an audience member if Elite 4 was still on the drawing board.

"Yes," he replied. "It would be a tragedy if it [weren't]." "
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

The latest comment (#6) in the comment section is priceless: "Never heard of... is a shooter?"
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt