Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

auto changing MilHud(Switcher)

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Malcul
Above Average
Above Average

auto changing MilHud(Switcher)

Post by Malcul »

Commanders can transfer Wyverns excellent Military Head-Up display to their subsequent craft as they purchase them from the showrooms.
... But would it not tickle their egos (and of course attract many more buyers) if the milhud recognised their new commander and his shiny new galleon (as the Galcops can) and placed this info onscreen?
A brief moment of recognition for the unworthy! Irresistable?
Malcul
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

Hi Malcul, welcome to the forum, according to all sources the friendliest this side of Riedquat!

Now ye olde traditional greeting is done unfortunately I have to admit that I don't know if what you suggest is possible, hopefully somebody with more knowledge than me will be along shortly to help.
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It is possible to display a mission-type screen with some suitable blurb on it when a new ship is bought.

If you've a couple of million credits kicking around and you can find one, for an example of such a screen just go buy a Vortex ;)

In that case not a welcome from your HUD, but from the ship's MAC.
Malcul
Above Average
Above Average

Re: auto changing MilHud(Switcher)

Post by Malcul »

Thanks for your response Thargoid, but I put my suggestion badly. What I was thinking of was the commander's name and ship placed automatically on screen in the HUD. Changing ship and even flying as your alter ego would be noted automatically and be acknowledged by your HUD.

Below is an illustration of what I was thinking of, but as you see, I am not knowledgeable enough to implement it.

You can probably see what I did, perhaps you could tell me how to get it right.

Thanking you in anticipation
Malcul
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I've never looked at how HUDs are coded or work, so I can't help so much. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly who is more knowledgable than me in this area, about what can and cannot be done, and how...
Malcul
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Malcul »

Thanks for your response, Thargoid.

While I await someone else's answer, may I take my helmet off to you for your oxp ideas, they are not only imaginative, but generally they seem to work first time. You're to be congratulated.

Malcul
Phantom Hoover
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phantom Hoover »

From my poking into the MilHUD's internals, the highest level of control in it appears to be a JS script, so it could be possible to pass some information over to the plists that actually specify each HUD outlay from it.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I find the idea of adding the name of the commander and ship to the HUD really nice!