Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Kill Count.. legally!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Commander McLane wrote:
"Bounty" and "legal status" are the same thing. There is no difference between them. It's merely two words for saying exactly the same.

There are, however, two different ways of displaying bounty or legal status. One is as a positive integer number (including 0), and the other is as a string. In the old plist-based scripting system (sometimes referred to as "legacy scripting") the first one was called legalStatus_number (which is the same as JS's ship.bounty) and the second one was called commander_legal_status. So even the word "bounty" wasn't used in the old system, except in shipdata.plist.
Ah, I see what you mean now! We were defining the terms in different contexts. I interpreted "bounty" as a number, and "legal status" as, well, a status, such as "Offender" or "Fugitive", as I was thinking of it in terms of the meaning of the word in language, rather than code. (Wow, that's a badly phrased sentence...)

I was not aware of the way the code worked, although in hindsight it makes sense! Thanks for the info!
Newt_Othis
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Newt_Othis »

Switeck wrote:
There's also the Thargoids you can fight by intentionally doing a bad jump.
How do you intentionally do a bad jump?

I've yet to experience one...
...in Oolite, at least. I remember being completely shafted by a mis-jump when playing Elite on the Atari ST.
If she's playing Farmville, I can play Oolite, right?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Pull up in the last couple of seconds before the jump!

Or never ever perform maintenance on your ship. But the first method is a bit faster! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

If you intentionally mis-jump make sure you do it between two systems that are as close as you can get, to make sure you have enough fuel to jump after your drive is repaired. It just makes it easier that way. You don't want to get stranded after all your hard work. :)
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Darkbee wrote:
If you intentionally mis-jump make sure you do it between two systems that are as close as you can get, to make sure you have enough fuel to jump after your drive is repaired.
After a forced misjump there is nothing to repair. You can jump out any time. Only if the misjump was caused by a drive malfunction, this malfunction has to be repaired first.

Still, the advice concerning fuel is important. A misjump, although leaving you stranded halfway, consumes all the fuel needed to reach your original destination. If that destination was 6.8 LY away, you're left in the middle between the two systems with only 0.2 LY worth of fuel. Therefore it is advisable not to force a misjump between two systems more than 4.4 LY apart from each other. (This does not take into account that there could be a "sideways" system closer to you than your original destination. It also does not take into account the various existing ways (all through OXPs) of taking a fuel reserve with you, or refueling in interstellar space.)
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Commander McLane wrote:
After a forced misjump there is nothing to repair.
Good point. Well presented.
Darkbee
Newt_Othis
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Newt_Othis »

Thanks - I'll try a forced mis-jump with care then. :)

BTW - I think adding the Galactic Navy OXP adds lots of opportunity to increase the kill count.
If she's playing Farmville, I can play Oolite, right?
byronarn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by byronarn »

Kaks wrote:
Am I doing something wrong? I hit "h" to start the hyperspace jump, then 1 second before the jump I hit up. I still make it to the other system. Is there something I am missing to do an intentional misjump?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

byronarn wrote:
Kaks wrote:
Am I doing something wrong? I hit "h" to start the hyperspace jump, then 1 second before the jump I hit up. I still make it to the other system. Is there something I am missing to do an intentional misjump?
Are you using a stick? If so, sometimes the dead spot prevents the mis-jump.
Hold down the up/down key, just as the '1' starts to fade.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Like in all good flight simulations, if you press the 'up' key you're actually nosediving, so you might have to try the other up! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
byronarn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by byronarn »

Kaks wrote:
Like in all good flight simulations, if you press the 'up' key you're actually nosediving, so you might have to try the other up! :)
Okay, got it! Thanks!!! :)
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Kaks wrote:
Does it actually make a difference? I have to admit that I've done it without really consciously thinking about it, and I typically "climb", but I was always under the impression that diving or climbing would equally work.
byronarn wrote:
If the timing is proving tricky then you can just fly "up" as soon as you start the countdown, and continue to fly round in circles, that should do the trick.
Darkbee
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Darkbee wrote:
Kaks wrote:
Does it actually make a difference? I have to admit that I've done it without really consciously thinking about it, and I typically "climb", but I was always under the impression that diving or climbing would equally work.
No, it is only climbing that does it. The forced misjump is defined either as being scripted or as having maximum climb rate at the moment the countdown reaches zero. From the source:
BOOL misjump = [self scriptedMisjump] || ((flightPitch == max_flight_pitch) || (malfunc && (randf() > 0.75)));
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Is there an equivalent for joystick users? I just tried 8 jumps, 4 climbing and 4 nosediving: ZERO misjumps...
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The control method should not matter. If you cannot execute the misjump, it probably means that you are not in full climb at zero. Is the climb indicator all the way up?

Edit: Checked it with the mouse. Indeed, with mouse (and probably joystick too), we do not achieve the full climb rate. Maybe that's a little bug there.
Last edited by another_commander on Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.