Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cannot download Neolite ships OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

masona2
Competent
Competent

Post by masona2 »

Oh No!

I am playing Oolite on an old Windows XP laptop (AMD 64 Xpress Turion chip with ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 graphics card).

Now I've downloaded the ships OXP, the game judders bigstyle.

I've had to delete it from addons but kept the file.
Elite.
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

I've bumped this thread, because I can't find any site where I can download neolite.oxp. I will bump it so long as this will be necessary. If someone has this OXP, please post a lionk in this thread for downloading or send me info via PM. Thanks!
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

OSH-
If I recall correctly-
The problem is that individuals HAVE the OXP, but because the author did not see fit to publish it with a specific license included IN the OXP, those individuals cannot be sure it is legal for them to redistribute it. Bumping it repeatedly will not help resolve the issue.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

masona2 wrote:
Oh No!

I am playing Oolite on an old Windows XP laptop (AMD 64 Xpress Turion chip with ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 graphics card).

Now I've downloaded the ships OXP, the game judders bigstyle.

I've had to delete it from addons but kept the file.
This might be due to the image files being too big. If you look inside the .oxp folder you will find other folders including one called Textures. If you open this you'll see all the 'skins' for the ships. See how big they are...hover the mouse over one, right click, properties, summary (I think for Windows) and that will show you the dimensions (width/height). If they are big - like 2048x2048 pixels, you might want to try scaling (reducing) them down to 512x512 pixels. This will reduce the quality a bit, but may make them useable. Most image editing software will allow you to scale an image.

Edit:- Copy them first, just in case. Edit the copies and keep the originals somewhere safe.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
... The problem is that individuals HAVE the OXP, but because the author did not see fit to publish it with a specific license included IN the OXP, those individuals cannot be sure it is legal for them to redistribute it. Bumping it repeatedly will not help resolve the issue.
This is the result of this whole copyright nonsense gone overboard, really. Isn't Oolite supposed to be a hobby project of game enthusiasts, no?

No one even hanging on to a few shreds of barely sane mind is going to sue anyone over using or re-using nearly anything done for this game. I asked a guy working for the media in austria, no judge would even seriously consider a lawsuit about something like that, normally, as long as no money was involved.

How would it look in front of a court if one complained about one's stuff written as an add-on for a game that is a nearly-clone of a copyrighted other game and that has stuff from Galactica, Star Trek, Star Wars, Blake's 7 etc. etc. injected into it via mod, and neither the developer of the original game complains nor Lucas Arts etc., but some guy who has invested a few ten hours of hobby work into it does?

This whole issue is insane. In two quarrels of the past three people (!) of about three hundred mod authors have ever seriously complained about re-use or modification of something they did for Oolite. They were a vocal minority, an extreme minority. And Simon himself has repeatedly said - I asked him - that he is fine with his stuff to be freely used and re-used as long as his authorship was openly declared in that case.

I didn't want to re-open that can of worms originally, but now some of the really good stuff done by people for oolite starts to get the chop due to this copyright nazi insanity. This is crazy! Get a grip people! There are many mod projects out there, and while it is normal for people to sometimes get at loggerheads or be pissed off for a time if together in such endeavours usually it is clear that such projects are in effect open source and, if they wish to survive for years on end, effectively have to be.

Not wanting to attack anyone, but please, get back a sense of the reality of the situation, for everyone's and especially Oolite's sake concerning this topic.

My grumbling 0.2 Cr

L

PS: Cmd. Cheyd, this is no dig at you by any means. I know the legal situation on this in some countries ... between this and reality can be quite the gap. That's good ... or Oolite wouldn't even exist in the first place. So no bad feelings!
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Neolite license stuff.
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

@Lestrade:
In practise, one can almost always take the risk: does not make it smart advise. Anyway - respecting the authors wishes is just good manners.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

And assuming the author cannot be reached and there's nothing stated for or against sharing their Oolite OXP work...we must assume they don't want it shared?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

That's generally how it works. The default "assumption of wishes" should be the most strict license, as someone mentioned recently on one of the numerous threads we seem to have on this topic for some reason.