Ah, those stations

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Micha wrote:
Docking clearance plus only docking when your speed is in the green range is the way to go...
You mean adding a ship script to stations with the code:

Code: Select all

this.otherShipDocked = function(ship)
{
  if (ship.isPlayer && ship.speed > 100)
  {
      ship.consoleMessage("You docked to fast, we'll penalising you");
      player.credits -= 1000;
  }
  if (ship.isPlayer && ship.speed > 300)
  {
      ship.consoleMessage("Bye.....");
      ship.explode();
  }
}
EDIT: I was just joking, but much to my surprise it is even working. The speed is not yet set to zero when the handler fires and a script can read the speed on docking at this moment. :wink:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

skodarap wrote:
Anyway, yes, shift+c works - been playing around with it for a while and I found out what was the reason for it not working - docking clearance - so much details to pay attention to :lol:
I just checked this and Shift+C works fine with or without docking clearance both on trunk and 1.74.2. It must have been something else that was done wrong - forgetting to target the station prior to pressing Shift+C maybe?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Eric Walch wrote:
Micha wrote:
Docking clearance plus only docking when your speed is in the green range is the way to go...
You mean adding a ship script to stations with the code:

Code: Select all

this.otherShipDocked = function(ship)
{
  if (ship.isPlayer && ship.speed > 100)
  {
      ship.consoleMessage("You docked to fast, we'll penalising you");
      player.credits -= 1000;
  }
  if (ship.isPlayer && ship.speed > 300)
  {
      ship.consoleMessage("Bye.....");
      ship.explode();
  }
}
EDIT: I was just joking, but much to my surprise it is even working. The speed is not yet set to zero when the handler fires and a script can read the speed on docking at this moment.
I’m glad you were 'just joking', Eric… speaking as an inveterate contrabandista, that chunk of code is horrifying.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Ok, I made a vid to show a way of docking. Sorry the quality is bad and there's no sound, but I'm an utter noob at video and youtube.

This is my idea of how to dock in about 20 seconds for maximal fun. :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRmUZBLlWrA

Here's how ya do it. Go almost to the planet surface, so you can get to see the sky turn black as you zip along to the station.

Then throttle up to full and hit your injectors and keep 'em roaring.

You want to cut pretty tight around the nav buoy, but try not to give it more room than you have to.

As soon as you slip past the buoy, get your nose on the slot and match your roll, and all that's left to do is figure out what your drinking at the bar.

Easy peasy. (After you've done it more carefully enough times. LOL) Though it is fun once in a while to listen to the Danube Waltz and watch. And sometimes if you need to hit the head and refill the coffee, shift-d can be def the right thing to do.

(And a big hello to Howling Wolf! Bet ya didn't expect to be in a movie today. LOL)
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
skodarap
Average
Average

Post by skodarap »

another_commander wrote:
skodarap wrote:
Anyway, yes, shift+c works - been playing around with it for a while and I found out what was the reason for it not working - docking clearance - so much details to pay attention to :lol:
I just checked this and Shift+C works fine with or without docking clearance both on trunk and 1.74.2. It must have been something else that was done wrong - forgetting to target the station prior to pressing Shift+C maybe?
I meant for oxp stations, on main stations it worked without clearance.

Oh, while were at it, it was really a pain in the neck to find command for docking clearance (shift+L), is that standard keyboard command for oolite or oxp added? 'cause if it's standard she's missing on Keyboard Controls list in Wiki.
And now for something completely similar...
Cody

Post by Cody »

skodarap wrote:
Oh, while were at it, it was really a pain in the neck to find command for docking clearance (shift+L), is that standard keyboard command for oolite or oxp added? 'cause if it's standard she's missing on Keyboard Controls list in Wiki.
Much goodness can be found in the reference sheet pdf, contained in the Oolite main folder.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

skodarap wrote:
another_commander wrote:
skodarap wrote:
I meant for oxp stations, on main stations it worked without clearance.
I meant OXP stations, too. ;-)
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Are we there yet?
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
skodarap
Average
Average

Post by skodarap »

Well, I guess I have to apologize, I confused "c" and "shift+c" :D

Ok, I'm done with this thread.

Cheers everybody
And now for something completely similar...
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Micha wrote:
But the point about simplifying the docking computer controls stands. If no-one objects I'll hack that in this week.
I'm definitely not objecting! Go for it, Micha! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Kaks wrote:
Micha wrote:
But the point about simplifying the docking computer controls stands. If no-one objects I'll hack that in this week.
I'm definitely not objecting! Go for it, Micha! :)
As of last night, a draft revamp is in trunk for anybody who wants to try it out (should have been built by the various nightlies by now for people who don't want to compile their own).
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Oooh, consistent docking commands! :)
It's going to take a while to get used to the concept, but I suppose we'll soldier on, if we must! :P

Nice one. No problems so far, & I like the new station key. We'll have to update the oxp verifier at some point! I've updated the oxp verifier now. ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

First tests indicate board green and make me wonder how come we didn't do this earlier. Good job Micha.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Well the d/shift-d thing, it was easy enough to just edit the key configs. But I always assumed it was a deliberate touch of an evil sense of humour somewhere during some point (or perhaps pint?) of development to make d jettison cargo and shift-d the fast auto-docking. LOL
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

The Adder can at least dock without consideration to its rotation, since it's so much smaller than the docking slit.

I've...recently read...that the massive Boa Cruiser might dock "cleaner", with more room to spare, if it docks sideways with the docking slit.

This is why I love the SuperHub Station...it's so huge, you can have an Anaconda going out as you're coming in and have room to spare all around!