Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Original Cobra at start w/ Griff's textures. Why?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

El Viejo wrote:
This ship should be added to the Griff Industries page on the Wiki... summon a Wiki wizard.
*boom*
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Thank you, your wizardness.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Svengali wrote:
The binding in shipdata.plist has to be changed. Simply search for alertlevel = "alertCondition"; and replace it with:

Code: Select all

alertlevel = {type = "int"; value="alertCondition";};
I've notified Griff a while ago, so maybe it's already in the latest version. Griff?
oops, i've forgotten to add that in! I'll sort it out for the next update of the oxp once the rocks & bouders are ready
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

another_commander wrote:
Obsidian wrote:
If someone is patient enough to explain why that one specific ship remains in the classic style when all the others are replaced by the Griff ships, it would sate some curiosity.
The code uses the ship named "cobra3-player" for the startup demo screen and this name is hard-coded. The Griff Cobra OXP uses override plists to stop the standard Cobra MkIII from appearing in the game, but the ship "cobra3-player" still exists in Oolite's "library" of ships. This is why you see it on the startup screen and this is why renaming the shipdata.plist entry as described should work. Since it doesn't work for you, I would recommend downloading the version from the Griff ships thread. This is the version the earlier instructions refer to.
I have a similar problem with the loading screen showing the neolite version of the cobra mkiii...how do i get it to show griff's version? The neolite version seems to be overridden in the shipyard, showing griff's cobra mk111 models.

I followed this thread and edited my savefiles so the cobra mk iii i'm flying in my saves is the multidecal griff version i have installed but would like to show the same on the loading screen....forgive me if this has already been explained but I seem to be unable to find out how to get this to work.
'Either this wallpaper goes, or I do'

Oscar Wilde's last words
Obsidian
Competent
Competent

Post by Obsidian »

parazaine wrote:
I have a similar problem with the loading screen showing the neolite version of the cobra mkiii...how do i get it to show griff's version? The neolite version seems to be overridden in the shipyard, showing griff's cobra mk111 models.

I followed this thread and edited my savefiles so the cobra mk iii i'm flying in my saves is the multidecal griff version i have installed but would like to show the same on the loading screen....forgive me if this has already been explained but I seem to be unable to find out how to get this to work.
Hah! I can act like I know something. The Neolite shipset uses the same "<key>ship_desc" ship names as vanilla Oolite, thus replacing the original models for the Neolite ones. The Griff shipset uses ship names usually preceeded by "griff_normal_mapped_(the rest of the name)", but prevents most (because some OXPs cause reintroductions of vanilla ships, which is why I want to reinstall the Neolite OXPs) of the core/original ships from actually showing up in-game.

In order to replace the intro screen cobra with a griff_cobra, you have to manually change the name of the griff_cobra in the Griff oxp to the same name as the default cobra. Another_Commander provides instructions on how to do this somewhere in the thread (or in another thread this thread links to, don't remember, I'd rather you re-read the thread than I), but I opted against doing that because, unlike A_C, I use the dizzy bundle instead of the individual griff_cobra and because someone mentioned complications with griff's escape pod and with the resale value of the cobra. Anyway, that was enough to scare ME off for now, but there should be enough info pointed to in the thread (or linked to it) to fix your intro screen with a spazzy cobra if you REALLY want it. Just be sure to backup the file you mess with. Really all it takes is probably just a name change or two in the multidecal_cobraIII_player.oxp (shipdata.plist) and changing the names of the other two .plists in that same oxp so that Oolite won't recognize them.

Edit: I could be VERY wrong, you should definitely re-read the thread because the right solution IS there. Somewhere.
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

Thanks for the reply, I already tried editing the Griff normalmapped cobra name to the default name but it didnt seem to work so i restored the original name...i'm using dizzy's griff shipset so i think i'll leave things the way they are for now..I don't want to introduce problems I currently am not experiencing lol.

Besides, I reskinned the default neolite ship to 'personalize' it.

I will post a screenshot if I can remember how to lol.

'Either this wallpaper goes, or I do'

Oscar Wilde's last words
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I'm trying to decide if that ship texture reminds me most of a brick wall or a wool carpet... And yet it seems to work! :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Obsidian
Competent
Competent

Post by Obsidian »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I'm trying to decide if that ship texture reminds me most of a brick wall or a wool carpet... And yet it seems to work! :wink:
That is the exclusive rush-mat exterior: bonafide hand-woven reeds encased in a transparent, heat resistant ceramic. It's the hand-craftmanship that makes it look so distinguished.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

:mrgreen:

That tickled me somehow! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Been using this for a couple of weeks, to have the Griff Cobra spinning at start-up… only just noticed that if I start a new Jameson, he has no missiles.
If I revert, the three missiles are there. Does another line need changing, a_c?
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

El Viejo wrote:
Been using this for a couple of weeks, to have the Griff Cobra spinning at start-up… only just noticed that if I start a new Jameson, he has no missiles.
If I revert, the three missiles are there. Does another line need changing, a_c?
Oooh, I know this one!
From the core shipyard.plist, lines 206-211:

"standard_equipment" =
		{
			extras = "";
			"forward_weapon_type" = "EQ_WEAPON_PULSE_LASER";
			missiles = 3;
		};
Unsurprisingly, this is (part of) the bit that deals with the "cobra3-player".
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Cody

Post by Cody »

CheeseRedux wrote:

"standard_equipment" =
		{
			extras = "";
			"forward_weapon_type" = "EQ_WEAPON_PULSE_LASER";
			missiles = 3;
		};
That’s exactly what it says in my plist, CR… what do you suggest changing?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

El Viejo wrote:
The missiles entry is missing from the Griff Cobra MkIII's shipdata.plist. Open this file, go to the cobra3-player entry you edited earlier and add missiles = 3; inside the dictionary. Shift-start and you are settled.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thanks a_c... that works fine.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Yeah, what a_c said.
I left out that part because - much like drivers who don't use the indicators because they know where they're going - I thought it was obvious. Sorry 'bout that. :oops:
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt