Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Electromagnetic pulse 'bomb'

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Ironass
Average
Average

Electromagnetic pulse 'bomb'

Post by Ironass »

Hi guys,

How about and electromagnetic pulse type bomb that 'freezes' all ships in the vicinity and renders them useless so you can just shoot em up.
...the effect could be temporary or permanent and the bomb could be expensive or mega expensive!

Cheers!

Ironass
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Electromagnetic pulse 'bomb'

Post by maik »

Ironass wrote:
Hi guys,

How about and electromagnetic pulse type bomb that 'freezes' all ships in the vicinity and renders them useless so you can just shoot em up.
...the effect could be temporary or permanent and the bomb could be expensive or mega expensive!

Cheers!

Ironass
Or a bit more refined: for every piece of electronic equipment that you have there could be chance that it gets destroyed. Including your thrusters, your missiles, etc.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Hi maik

There is already such a bomb. :) It is called the 'stun bomb'. It is in the Armoury OXP by Thargoid, and is described (by the documentation for that OXP) as follows. '[T]uned to affect ships systems, especially flight control and pilot interfacing. In practice tends to leave the target ship helplessly spinning in space for a short period of time. When used against a player craft it causes the ship to tumble into a new random orientation.'

Cheers.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Thanks! That also suggests that damage to frangible parts of a ship can in fact impact maneuverability (but that was another thread here).
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

maik wrote:
Thanks! That also suggests that damage to frangible parts of a ship can in fact impact maneuverability (but that was another thread here).
Not really, as the stats for the player ship are read-only from a scripting perspective (where they can be read at all).

The randomisation of orientation is about the best that could be done for the use of this bomb against the player - believe me I did a lot of tests to see if anything more "effective" could be implemented :twisted:
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Thargoid wrote:
believe me I did a lot of tests to see if anything more "effective" could be implemented :twisted:
I'm sure you did, bug. :twisted:
Ironass
Average
Average

Post by Ironass »

Right! There are bound to be risks involved! Ha!

Great discussion, thanks for the input I might try out the bomb that exists already...