Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Random Hits OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Poro wrote:
Is anyone else on a shaderless system getting major slowdown with version 1.4.2?

Whether I enter an anarchy system, or exit from an anarchy station for the first time, it takes a fair while for everything to be populated: and frame rate never returns to normal.

There's nothing in the log file, and I seem to remember someone mentioning the Seedy Spacebar being altered. Could this have affected rendering on non-shaderfied computers?
The main problem is that there is a lot going on around the space bars. (Although Eric should have optimized the AI routines in 1.4.)
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Yes, I know that - but it is only with going from 1.4.0 to 1.4.2 that I've noticed a drastic difference.

The asteroid field looks as it always was, so I don't notice any extra objects.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Poro wrote:
Yes, I know that - but it is only with going from 1.4.0 to 1.4.2 that I've noticed a drastic difference.
The difference between those are only minimal bug fixes that should not have any influence on game play itself. For the 1.3.6 and older versions I always noticed a speed reduction when there was a battle around the station. With the 1.38 and newer I never noticed a significant difference when there was a battle or not. Probably you changed something else as well.
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Griff wrote:
Shader and shipdata.plist updates (for Random Hits 1.4.2), hopefully all the glowy is back (and now also available in no shader mode)
http://www.box.net/shared/fm6nlsai3n
:lol: I haven't docked at a Spacebar for ages, I'd forgotten how funny this OXP is
I installed your update Griff, but strange things happen to the station textures. Deleting random hits 1.4.2 (with your update) corrects the problem.

Sorry image is a bit dark

Image[/img]
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

hmm that does look odd, you don't think you're just seeing the stations inside the shadow being cast by the planet - it's a new feature in the latest version of Oolite, objects don't get any sunlight and sort of look like the ones in your screen shots, i can't spot any shader or texture clash inside random hits that might affect other oxps
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Yes, you are right. I was taken by surprise by the station. Without random hits installed I get my normal station (image on the left) when installing the moded random hits I get a completely different station (image on right), which is very dark.

Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Is it just me, or is the writing on the spinning tombstone when you get paid for a successful hit kinda.. backwards?
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Ganelon wrote:
Is it just me, or is the writing on the spinning tombstone when you get paid for a successful hit kinda.. backwards?
Direction is okay but I had one word that was unknown to me. Maybe this is what you saw backward? "Lest we forget". I had to look up the meaning:
lest |lɛst|
conjunction formal
with the intention of preventing (something undesirable); to avoid the risk of : he spent whole days in his room, headphones on lest he disturb anyone.

• (after a clause indicating fear) because of the possibility of something undesirable happening; in case : she sat up late worrying lest he be held up on the way home.

ORIGIN Old English thȳ lǣs the [whereby less that,] later the læste.

USAGE There are very few contexts in English where the subjunctive mood is, strictly speaking, required: lest remains one of them. Thus the standard use is : she was worrying lest he be attacked (not : lest he was attacked), or : she is using headphones lest she disturb anyone (not : … lest she disturbs anyone).
RustiSwordz
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by RustiSwordz »

OK i have another bug: Ive just managed to get past the rank of Judge and now my rank is this:

random_hits_huntertitle22.
'It's big and round and needs a big round sounding word! G-R-O-U-N-D! That's it Ground! I wonder if it will be friends with me...'

Website www.richarddaborn.co.uk lots of sci-fi art.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

RustiSwordz wrote:
OK i have another bug: Ive just managed to get past the rank of Judge and now my rank is this:

random_hits_huntertitle22.
- That a bug I added in version 1.4.1 as discussed here. It should be fixed in version 1.4.2.

- And I have added Griffs shaderupdates in a, yet to release, version 1.4.3. That update will only be useful for those systems that currently have texture problems.

- I was also busy by changing the code so it creates 9 sets of missions on docking. But I think it takes a to long pause on docking then so I reverted the number to 3. (It just needs 1 number change in the code to get the 9 screens back now)
Last edited by Eric Walch on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RustiSwordz
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by RustiSwordz »

OK Thanks Eric. :)
'It's big and round and needs a big round sounding word! G-R-O-U-N-D! That's it Ground! I wonder if it will be friends with me...'

Website www.richarddaborn.co.uk lots of sci-fi art.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

I just updated random hits to version 1.4.3. There are just two changes:

1) I added the new shaders that Griff posted a few messages back. From the readme by Griff:
- Added Materials to the spacebar object to enable illumination maps whilst in playing Oolite with shaders disabled (requires Oolite 1.74 and higher)
- Edited most of the fragment & vertex shaders to remove the use of gl_TexCoord[0] which can be problematic with certain ATI driver releases
- Added a new shader "griff_spacebar_turret.vertex" for the space bar turrect so they will recoil slightly when firing whilst playing with shaders enabled
- "A_H_wormhole_animation_no_shader.png" - New texture based on a single frame from A_H's original artwork, for use when playing Oolite with shaders disabled
The versions posted by Griff contained two bugs. Griff mailed me some fixes in a pm. When you needed those fixes, use these instead of the older ones.

2) I looked more closely at the generation of just 3 different hit pages. The pages are generated on docking. With just 3 pages I never felt a noticeable gap on docking. When creating 6 or 9 there was a noticeable pause during docking that I want to prevent at all costs. On my 2.66 GHz dual core machine it takes 0.55 seconds to generate 3 hitpages.
I now look at the time during page creation. When succeeding in creating these first 3 pages within 0.5 seconds it will generate a second set of 3 pages. And when even that happens within half of a second total, it will generate another 3 extra pages.
I assume most people like me will still just get 3 different pages as before, but on the faster computers there might be 6 or 9 different pages now.
myst.RAVEN
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by myst.RAVEN »

I just saw the most excellent reference in Random Hits: "...renew you on Carousel" :D I think I might re(re-re-re-re)watch Logan's Run a bit later this evening... Hmmm, maybe throw it on my "port" monitor while I fly :D
Commander MultiplePersonalityDisorder: Flying around various galactic sectors, in a variety of ships, with a variety of lifestyles and professions...

Full throttle and fuel injectors - now THAT's the way to park!
Porksmuggler
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Porksmuggler »

^^

Thanks for incorporating the updates! Downloading now...
i5 750::ASUS P7P55D Pro::G.SKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH::Samsung F3 500GB::Sapphire 4850X2::Corsair 650TX::Thermaltake Tsunami::Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus::LG 32LF11
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

just wanted to let you know that on Oolite 1.75 it now looks like this.

rvn 3744

click image to enlarge...

this has not been tested with 1.74.2
Bounty Scanner
Number 935