Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Thargoid wrote:
Somehow I don't even want to think about docking with something that's rotating around an axis other than Z ;)
Z is whatever you want it to be. You can put the dock at whatever angle you like, but it’s considered good form to make that the axis of rotation. ;-)
Griff wrote:
That default Material that Oolite surfaces the rock hermit with (because the model is missing it's texture info) is pretty cool
Is it? Dang. The intention was to make a material so horrible that no-one would be trying to get that appearance, hence making it obvious that something’s wrong.

(It’s specified on material-defaults.plist, BTW.)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Untill Dizzy re-emerges from hyperspace here's a link to a folder with a split archive zip thing for the all in 1 oxp with all the newer stuff in (everything up to the constrictor, not the hermit which is still living neglected and forlorn in my Oolite Workstuff Work in progress folder)
http://www.box.net/shared/z925ssjfum
you'll need to download all 4 parts, i used 7-zip to make it, the files seem to have weird file extensions, zip.001, zip.002 etc? so you might have to point your zip extracting program of choice to the next part as it does it stuff chewing through the archives, um am i rambling?, i'm rambling aren't!?
Last edited by Griff on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

You're a star! Thanks Griff :D
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Wicked! :)
RustiSwordz
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by RustiSwordz »

Nice 1 Griff! :)
'It's big and round and needs a big round sounding word! G-R-O-U-N-D! That's it Ground! I wonder if it will be friends with me...'

Website www.richarddaborn.co.uk lots of sci-fi art.
Porksmuggler
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Porksmuggler »

excellent!

Are the dodo and icosa in this new set, or do I still need the separate oxp?
i5 750::ASUS P7P55D Pro::G.SKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH::Samsung F3 500GB::Sapphire 4850X2::Corsair 650TX::Thermaltake Tsunami::Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus::LG 32LF11
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Griff douze points. Griff twelve points. :)
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
RustiSwordz
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by RustiSwordz »

A little nitpicking here.

The new Griff Krait (the wierd bird of prey looking one) isnt included in with the the new all in 1 and on a seperate note can you buy it and if not what can i do so i can buy it.

2) The constrictor ship, i know its damn rare but ive flown about for hours and not seen it for sale anywhere, what can i do to increase the chances of it being slood, what valures do i have to fiddle with to increase those chances.

Thanks.

PS: i love the Griff ships, mate you can design every ship in every OXP going your work is the best. (What package do you use to make em)
'It's big and round and needs a big round sounding word! G-R-O-U-N-D! That's it Ground! I wonder if it will be friends with me...'

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

The odd looking 'krait' was actually made before i started the normal mapped shipset, i got as far as doing the krait and a weird boa (the turrety one) then Ramon posted up a few screenshots of an Anaconda remake he was working on and i realised that the direction these 2 ships were going in was just plain wrong and i was going to copy his ideas instead as best i could (Oi Ramon, where's the Asp then? c'mon chop chop :) ), so the odd krait and boa bascally got abandoned and won't be included in this shipset.

The Constrictor is only going to appear once when it is its time to do so, i suppose you could edit it's role setting in the shipdata.plist to add something like pirate(0.01) to make it a rare appearing pirate that you'll occasionally run into whilst playing but this will totally break a really really cool moment in the game.

I'm one of these posh types lording it over everyone with Adobe Photoshop for the texture painting and swanning about with Newtek's Lightwave for the modeling part (with the occasional import/export into wings3D for edge bevelling and other stuff not supported in Lightwave)
Last edited by Griff on Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Just to confirm what Griff was saying, the Constrictor will only appear during the Constrictor mission. You will never see it for sale. There is Smiv's Contractor OXP ship available however, which is based on the Constrictor.

The turrety Boa and Krait are available separately from Griff's Normalmapped ships. See his wiki page, here.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Seeing as it’s ‘ask Griff’ time… which is the latest Dodo and Ico oxp? The one I have has no Ico stations.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I haven't got around to making dodo's and icos for this shipset yet, i did make a dodo station model a while back which CaptKev textured and shadered beautifully in his oxp here https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... t+kev+dodo

also PAGroove has retextured & shadered my coriolis & dodo models in his stations shipset oxp (which also includeds a shadered ico station) http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/P.A._G ... ations_OXP , very awesome stuff - grab his superhub oxp too if your in the mood for shadered station goodness

I'll probably ditch the current coriolis from this shipset and have another bash at it, i'm not sure those bevelled edges work that well and the texture is a bit blocky and low res, we'll see how the hermit turns out first though, i've overlapped a lot of the pipe work uv's in the tunnel over each other to save texture space, hopefully the normal mapping won't go wonky and i can apply the same technique to the stations
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thanks Griff... the CaptKev Dodo is the version I have now.
We need an Ico!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
RustiSwordz
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by RustiSwordz »

JazHaz wrote:
Just to confirm what Griff was saying, the Constrictor will only appear during the Constrictor mission. You will never see it for sale. There is Smiv's Contractor OXP ship available however, which is based on the Constrictor.

The turrety Boa and Krait are available separately from Griff's Normalmapped ships. See his wiki page, here.
Ive already got the Griff Krait/Boa/Constrictor. I think my question needs directing at the Griff-Illicit Unlock thread. :)

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Griff wrote:
The Constrictor is only going to appear once when it is its time to do so, i suppose you could edit it's role setting in the shipdata.plist to add something like pirate(0.01) to make it a rare appearing pirate that you'll occasionally run into whilst playing but this will totally break a really really cool moment in the game.
It will also bugger up the Constrictor mission (in a similar way that the RS/OSE version of it did) if it appears and gets shot. The Contractor method is safer as it doesn't have the trunk Constrictor's mission-related scripting attached to it.