Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thanks everyone, I like the look of K and then a 4 digit number, i'll use K0718 i think, 0718 from July 18th, the date Wikipedia has down for the first release of Oolite

edit: Aargh, now i'm conflicted, i just followed some of the links posted above and found this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kin ... st_serials
G-13 wasn't used it seems, 13 being unlucky maybe? Hmm, that would be cool to give to the Constrictor :D
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I quite like this snippet of information:
During the Second World War RAF aircraft carrying secret equipment or that were in themselves secret had "/G" suffix added to the end of the serial, [1] the "G" signifying "Guard", denoting that the aircraft was to have an armed guard at all times while on the ground (for example LZ548/G, the prototype...

What about K0718/G-13? Full of historical references, a compromise solution, & it's almost like a proper numberplate! What's there not to like! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

The Royal Navy use a ‘K’ prefix, plus three or four following numbers for some ships.
I think it’s called a ‘Pennant’ number and ‘K’ would apply to a frigate or a corvette.

The Constrictor looks great, btw.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Griff wrote:
Thanks everyone, I like the look of K and then a 4 digit number, i'll use K0718 i think, 0718 from July 18th, the date Wikipedia has down for the first release of Oolite

edit: Aargh, now i'm conflicted, i just followed some of the links posted above and found this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kin ... st_serials
G-13 wasn't used it seems, 13 being unlucky maybe? Hmm, that would be cool to give to the Constrictor :D
yeah it's cause it's considered unlucky, just like you wont find a Thirteenth floor in some countries.

Also, I don't think using Airforce designations fits right, most spaceships are considered ships (well duh) as in the Navy, plus the constrictor is made by the Galactic Navy, so I'd go with naval designations.

The Behemoth / Galactic Navy OXP's use the INBxx (where xx is a two digit number) for it's behemoths, I'm guessing that INB stands for Interstellar Naval Behemoth (or something similar). I'd personally go with something like 'INX01 - 0718' (the 'X' part is because it's the closest Royal Navy equivelant, being the pennant for Special Service Vessels)

As for the modern Royal navy, I cant find out much on it, only a little bit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennant_number (there's also a little mention of them not using the number 13 in that article)

<EDIT> wrong link
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

The Royal Navy had similar habits to the RAF and ordered experimental aircraft by specification such as 'N.7/43' or 'N.22/43' - the actual specification for the Hawker Sea Fury, one of the few piston engined aircraft to down a MIG in Korea.

I would guess the 'N' means naval - the imagination skills of the military mind!
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thanks everyone, wow, there were so many amazing suggestions i wanted to use them all! I went with 'K0718/X-13' in the end
K and X sounded nicely mysterious, 0718 for the Oolite release date and the 13 for it's supposed links to bad luck.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Looks good, Griff... personally, I'd leave the 'zero' out, though.
A 'K' is aways good, for some reason... it just fits.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

Hiya.
can i just ask if the older 'griff boa' that looked more like an old Commer Q4, with all the plasma cannons around it has been superseded by the newer boa's?
I thought i had the older one in the oxp addons, but i haven't seen one for ages. could it be that a newer boa is effectively overwriting the older one, by way of being lower down the list? or have i inadvertantly deleted it at some point?
if so, is it still available? (in a good classic ship shop near you)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

updated shipdata.plist for the current dizzy all in 1 oxp (the one without the new boa & python)
http://www.box.net/shared/tkapgft5eq (about 25 kb)
this updated requires Oolite 1.74
new features:
Materials definitions for all ships so noshader systems can have glowmaps & specular effects ( as seen in Ahrumans example post here :
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t= ... &start=629 )

Random paint colours now available for player buyable ships, sick of the same old green griff cobra III? well, why not buy a lurid puce and mustard one!
(you can still keep your custom paint colours by overwriting the paintcolour settings in the shipdat.plist)

@ Yodeebe: Hi, no the boas in this oxp shouldn't interfere with the old boa with the turrets on, they'll all live happily alongside each other, although i suppose since adding this oxp adds more possible choices for oolite to pick, it might make all the original turret boa slightly more rare
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

cool, thanks.

absoludibly awesome graphics. i just got 1.74, loads more eye candy, and a new (well, 2nd hand) imac24 to play it all on.
just died & went to heaven!
JJP
Average
Average

Post by JJP »

Griff,

Your new normalmapped "Boa" does interfere with the old "Griff Boa". They both use griff_boa_mainhull.dat as their hull!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

erk, looking at the original boa oxp it's totally clash city, the dat & the texture filnames will need changing, also the oxp is going to suffer from the tex0, tex1 shader uniform problem, i'll get it updated ASAP
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've renamed the files in the turret festooned boa oxp so they won't clash anymore with the normal map shipset boa.
whilst i was there, i've changed the shaders slightly to remove all traces of gl_TexCoord[0] and added in materials so most of the glows now work on non shader enabled computers.
I've also allowed the player flyable version to have random paint colours applied in the shipyard and as such the oxp now requires oolite V1.74 (or higher)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Just downloading the latest version of Dizzy's All In One bundle.

Want to replace my Neolite Boa 2 with the Griff Boa 2. I assume I can do this by just editting my save file? What exactly do I need to change?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

search your oolite savegame for ship_desc the line underneath it will list the ship you are flying, change the name to griff_normalmapped_boa-mk2_player but be carefull not to delete the <key> </key> markers on that line

Code: Select all

<key>ship_desc</key>
<string>griff_normalmapped_boa-mk2_player</string>