Hijacked Leviathan System Platform

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Hijacked Leviathan System Platform

Post by JazHaz »

Just launched from a coriolis station, and encountered this! WTF?!

Not aware of being on a mission!

It was a fugitive and the navy were going nuts, so I attacked it. It open up huge batteries of turret fire at me and also loads of hard missiles. If I hadn't had Cmdr Wyvern's ACS system (which used up 10 rounds of chaff in short order), I would have been dead for sure.

I destroyed it though. It left behind some wreckage that didn't disappear, so I scooped it and just got alloys from it.

No message when I docked again to do repairs.

EDIT: I also got this message (copied from my save file): "ALERT! This is Geerbi station. Communication has been lost with the system". No clue there though.

Anyone know what was going on?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I assume that this is from an OXP, but don't know which one. Thought it might be from Military Fiasco, as that had ordinary Leviathans in it, but I recently deinstalled that OXP. Anyone know?

Also to add to my report of the encounter, I injected away from it to provide extra distance from the turret fire and noticed that the Leviathan was also attacking the station.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

It's certainly a mission, and certainly from an OXP, but it's certainly not Military Fiasco (unless that was amended quite a bit since I played it). Military Fiasco culminates with you hunting down a stolen Leviathan, but it contains no "System Platform".

So maybe an OXP which starts from Military Fiasco and continues the story line? Or complete unrelated and just using the same name? One of the OXPs dealing with the Navy would be a likely candidate, IMO.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I used Dizzy's search tool to search the forum for "System Platform", and the first thread it found was this one, from 2009.

It seems that this is from GalNavy OXP, usually for those missions against pirate fleets. However its weird because I'm not currently on a Navy mission (my last was against Thargoids).

EDIT: no, its not. It's from Aquatics!
Aquatics OXP Readme wrote:
Leviathan platform - With the rise of the Thargoid threat, system and witchpoint defense entities to guard against alien and hostile marauders.
New mission for v2.00, chase down and destroy the hijacked AHC Kraken IV before it can leave the system. The good will of the Corporation and all that may entail plus a sizable credit bonus await the successful commander. Only available to commanders of Dangerous rank or above.
Don't think it can be that mission though. As the ship I encountered was not called AHC Kraken....?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Yup it's from Aquatics, and not part of the mission (although the two platforms that the AHC Kraken carries are each equivalent to the hijacked one).

Just to keep you on your toes, there is about a 5% chance when a system platform is there that it has been taken over. In such cases as you observed the police are in place and dealing with it, but the player can join in too if they want.

The platforms are placed that if you don't go looking for trouble they probably won't bother you, but if you do they are pretty tough ;)

Just call it a little freebie I threw in. But then I am supposed to be the evil bad guy :twisted: And there is a warning notification from the station control when you launch.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I'm not familiar with these...has anyone got a good screenshot?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

It happened 2 times with me. I took it out with a nuke missile and military lasers in my starseeker personal shuttle. Nice :)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Smivs wrote:
Unfortunately I was rather busy to take screenshots, trying to stay alive! :wink:
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Smivs wrote:

A shot laying around in my photobucket pics - I can probably set up a more dynamic one if I get time.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

They're best engaged at a distance as they can hurl a lot of firepower your way.

Fun fights though. 8)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Thargoid wrote:

Just to keep you on your toes, there is about a 5% chance when a system platform is there that it has been taken over. In such cases as you observed the police are in place and dealing with it, but the player can join in too if they want.
Weird though, as I've never encountered one before! And the first one I find is hijacked. I mean I've not seen a non-hijacked one??
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

They're probably around but you've not noticed them.

They don't tend to advertise themselves unless you shoot them, or there are nasties around ;) Their addition does get logged in the JS console and your game logs.