Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

what is your rig?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Pansen wrote:
Interested what Sendraks says about the Caduceus - does it really get more resilient with time? was gonna trade mine in, but may hang onto it, if that's the case!

Have yet to discover the black dove....
[/quote]

Well it may do. I'm currently working on exo-armour to beef up the dragon. We'll see how that goes, maybe think about the cad, but to be honest it's still in the shop getting it's normal maps done. One thing at a time.
Magus Zeal
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Magus Zeal »

My current ride is a Supercobra, beefed up to hell and back. I've modified the savefile to introduce some custom changes. Knocked out nearly all the cargo space for some extra pylons. Trying to turn it from a trader/fighter to a pure fightercraft.

Before that, I was riding in a Cobra MkI to start with, then upgraded to a Python and did some cargo runs to build up the capital required for my beloved Supercobra. Now it's outfitted with everything under the sun including equipment from several OXPs.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Magus Zeal wrote:
My current ride is a Supercobra, beefed up to hell and back. I've modified the savefile to introduce some custom changes. Knocked out nearly all the cargo space for some extra pylons. Trying to turn it from a trader/fighter to a pure fightercraft.
What changes have you made to the savefile? I mean how did you add the pylons?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Magus Zeal
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Magus Zeal »

Easy. I modified the # of missiles in the savefile, then added an appropriate number of empty pylons under the payload section. I'm at work right now so I can't show the exact code I used, but it's there.

Besides, with all of the goodies available to me with Missiles & Bombs...I can't just say no!
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

I just ride around in a Griff Cobra, only have 20000cr and 200ish kills to my name as I spend most of my time in game testing my oxp's before thinking: "ooh wouldn't it be cool if..." and then end up spending the rest of the day working on something to add to the game, and then repeat the prcess :P
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Magus Zeal wrote:
Easy. I modified the # of missiles in the savefile, then added an appropriate number of empty pylons under the payload section. I'm at work right now so I can't show the exact code I used, but it's there.

Besides, with all of the goodies available to me with Missiles & Bombs...I can't just say no!
Err.. don't you mean to say you modified the relevant shipdata.plist? Modding the savefile alone won't work.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Magus Zeal wrote:

I've just upgraded from my standard Python to a Python Class Cruiser! At last!! :D 8)

So I now don't need to cheat to get extra pylons! :wink:
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Here's the ships I went through, in order, during my career.

Cobra mk 3 - The classic all-arounder; fully kitted and with a talented crew, it's a very capable craft. It should come as no surprise that you can find Cobbys operating everywhere you go, by Jamesons, hardened Elites, and everyone in between. My Deuce Coup wasn't the newest model. It was bought used, and had a bit of rust around the welds and developed a few quirks. As long as I avoided overwhelming fights, she could hold her own.

Excalibur - A nippy little one-seat fighter; performance-wise was every bit as capable as an Asp, in a somewhat more compact spaceframe. It could pull some serious high gee turns and was difficult for hostiles to get a hit on, meanwhile it was practically inescapable in a turning fight. However, an Excalibur suffers from a rather weak energy system, no cargo space - though 10tc is available as a bolt-on option - and it's cockpit was a tight fit for a big Lizard like me.

Paladin - Needing more room, I moved into the Golden Goose as soon as it came onto market. A Paladin is a great craft, easily comparable to a Cobra in cargo space, yet a little more capable performance wise. Yet again, not a lot of wiggle room in the cockpit.

Dragon M - Now for a bounty hunter, this is quite a combat platform. Not much in the way of cargo space, and it's not a fantastic turner for it's size, but it more than makes up for that with a strong energy system, tough hull, and devastating weapons array. It's also fast for it's size. Missile loadout on a Dragon is enormous: Make no mistake, the Dragon is an assault bomber and torpedo boat, and performs best when it's firepower can be brought to bear on heavy cruisers - A Blackdog Python's worse nightmare. I will admit, my Lady Tiomat had a few questionable mods and tweaks. She was lost during the Tibecia Incident.

Kirin M Prototype - I was hired to captain the Kirin prototype. During my time with this craft, it got upgrades and tweaks till it evolved into the Kirin XM most know of today. The cargo space is, to put it in one word, vast, as is the bridge and living space. If you like a lot of interior room, the a Kirin isn't lacking. It's also one of the biggest things that can be squeezed into a standard docking bay, but with little room to spare. Docking can be a little hairy with this beast. In combat, I call it a battle cruiser for the spacejock on a budget. It's slow and ungainly, but very tough, a stable platform for long-range laser sniping, and a fighter pilot has to be insane or suicidal to get into range of those flak guns; those same flak cannons make it practically torpedo proof as well. I'd say a Kirin can be flown into Reidquat without much fear of the local hoodlums.

Kirin Sport - I captained one of these soon after the Tibecia Incident. The "Sport" variant is a lower budget version of the Kirin C; a smaller size makes it easier to dock, it's faster and more fuel efficient, carries less cargo but being cheaper to buy and operate makes up for that. It's fairly lightly armed compared to the full-size Kirins, but better armed and tougher than most Python variants. Hey Hesperus, this is the ship for you! (hint hint nudge nudge)

Cadedeus Omega - Befriending the Shulth clan definitely has it's upside. Imagine my surprise when I was given the captaincy of the Persistence of Memory. I do find it a little difficult to relate to a living ship, but find it easier to relate to her as a crewmember, which she seems to appreciate. Perci is the third oldest of the Omega variant as I was told, and she is a venerable hunter-killer indeed. Perci stands out among the Omegas as being born to be a warrior, and she clearly lives to fight. She has no fear. Perci tears apart pirates and Bugs with equal delight.
Perci's weapons array is nothing short of vicious: Heavy plasma cannons top and bottom - referred to as "SunGuns", these are the hardest-hitting plasma cannons ever mounted on any craft. A large internal missile store. Side mounted, ganged plasma cannons, backed up with side laser mounts. And pinpoint accurate fore and aft lasers. It sucks to be a pirate where Perci can see 'em! :mrgreen: And the Bugs will learn to respect her as much as they respect the Hammer of Sorrow.

-- Captain Derik "Wyvern" Roh'i
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Boa Class Cruiser.
It's got all the good points of the Cobra (speed, maneuverability) AND 175 Tons hold capacity. And lots of energy banks - eight in fact plus it carries five missiles.
Mine is an Iron Ass. View the spec here. I've also recently added a Wormhole Scanner and the Advanced Navigational thingy (route planner).
I've previously had Cobra I and III's and a couple of Pythons, but have never explored the OXP options as I think the 'native' ships offer enough choice for most people.
But, yes, for me it's got to be the Boa CC.

Edit :- I've changed my mind, my ship and my opinion, sort of. Click on the link in my signature for the answer.
Last edited by Smivs on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
-REBEL3-
Poor
Poor

Post by -REBEL3- »

Just out of curiosity, how would you hack to get the Caduceus as your ship? I would like to test it out, but can't find it...
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

-REBEL3- wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how would you hack to get the Caduceus as your ship? I would like to test it out, but can't find it...
Get the ship OXP from here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Caduceus

Edit your save-game file using Notepad++ and change the entries for the ship.

But why would you cheat? The Caduceus is not a ship for new players, it's something to aspire to, because you need to play the game to get the millions of credits neeeded to buy one.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
-REBEL3-
Poor
Poor

Post by -REBEL3- »

Why would I cheat? Because I can!

No seriously, I'm working on the Vega Strike game. Since it is sort of a successor to ELite, and thus a bit of a successor to Ollite, I wanted to see how larger ships felt in Ollite vs Vega Strike.

I've downloaded the OXP, changed the name of the ship in the savegame to Caduceus, and...nothing happens. My ship is still a Cobra Mark Three. Here's a bit of my savagame file. What did I do wrong?

</array>
<key>ship_clock</key>
<real>180058019580.45712</real>
<key>ship_desc</key>
<string>Caduceus</string>
<key>ship_kills</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>ship_name</key>
<string>Caduceus</string>
<key>ship_trade_in_factor</key>
<integer>95</integer>
<key>shipyard_record</key>
<dict/>
<key>speech_on</key>
<false/>
<key>starboard_weapon</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>target_coordinates</key>
<string>20 173</string>
<key>trumbles</key>
<array>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>19528</integer>
<array>
<dict>

Could the bolded portion be the problem?
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Yep, it should be something like Caduceus-Alpha
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
-REBEL3-
Poor
Poor

Post by -REBEL3- »

Still not working, I'm afraid-I tried both Caduceus-Alpha and Caduceus_Alpha, and it say's it can't find the ship type, and to re-install the OXP-I'm sure I installed it correctly.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Here's what you need:

Code: Select all

<key>ship_desc</key>
    <string>caduceus-alpha-player</string>
<key>ship_name</key>
    <string>USS Pete Rose</string>