Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

E POD or GAL H?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

do you prefer ESCAPE POD or GALACTIC HYPERDRIVE?

Poll ended at Sat May 01, 2010 11:30 pm

ESCAPE POD
71%
GALACTIC HYPERDRIVE
29%

Total votes: 17

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

E-pod.. not that I've used one since I started playing Oolite.. and I seem to recall only using it once or at most twice even in my Elite days.. I tend to fight to the bitter end, or bug out if things really are too hot, or death comes as a sudden WTF? moment..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

My question of a couple of posts back has been answered, so no more PMs are needed. Thank you.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

I always have both EP and GH, though have only used the GH once to escape pending disaster. Have never thought of EP in time. Tend to forget which button activates it during white knuckled fight.
I usually use the cloak to escape though don't ever seem to notice the energy banks depleting. I chicken out when I loose too much cargo and some systems are damaged, preferably not the cloak or whitch drive. If so then it's a fight to the end. Have survived a couple like that, i.e. 2 that I remember. Just under 10,000 kills, so not many atall.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

I find arriving in a new galaxy, unexpectedly, a quite exciting. :o alternative to trying to find the space-bar on my keyboard, especially if escape-podding cost me a cargo of computers e.g.
75t computers @ 62 ---- sell @ 102 = ¢3000 profit
100t narcotics @ 5 ------ sell @ 95 = ¢9000 profit
total capital = ¢5150
total profit = ¢12000

the GH is cheap at ¢5000

but commanders flying smaller or larger sized ships would have different cost/benefit analyses, of course
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Alex wrote:
Have never thought of EP in time. Tend to forget which button activates it during white knuckled fight
Um, it's the one marked ESCape.

:lol:

(actually I have done that too...a couple of times)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: E POD or GAL H?

Post by Smivs »

When I made my original post( https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=45) I was actually refering to a normal hyperspace jump as opposed to a galactic jump, but I'm sure both work well as an escape route. Where possible and fuel permitting, I always have hyperspace co-ordinates set for a nearby system, just in case. I suppose one benefit of a galactic jump is that it wipes any criminal record which could be useful in some situations.
I do have an escape pod, but have never used it. I either forget it's there, or die before I have a chance to use it.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

The Boacc (Boa2) is a delightful vessel, "looks like a fish, moves like a fish.." but in this case steers like a bat, however I'm supposed to be talking about esc.pods, and I wondered What Happens when there isn't any fuel etc., etc? It appears that esc.podding is the preferred option - if anyone can remember to actually use it!
Commander McLane wrote:
Seems like you all are potential customers for the auto_eject upgrade :D
that is an interesting read,and it seems like we are!