Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

E POD or GAL H?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

do you prefer ESCAPE POD or GALACTIC HYPERDRIVE?

Poll ended at Sat May 01, 2010 11:30 pm

ESCAPE POD
71%
GALACTIC HYPERDRIVE
29%

Total votes: 17

Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

E POD or GAL H?

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Reading some recent posts e.g. https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=45
Smivs wrote:
Fifteen seconds of frantic running away and a Hyperspace jump just about saved me.
I wondered whether other commanders favour escape from certain doom via GALACTIC HYPERDRIVE or the cheaper ESCAPE POD (..but is it really cheaper?)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I don't generally buy a GH until I decide to move to the next galaxy. So escape capsule is my vote. However having said that, I don't use them either, not once in my Oolite career have I ever used one.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I always carry a GHD… it is the only get-out if caught in interstellar space, having splashed a Thargoid swarm, and you don’t have enough fuel for a Hyperspace jump. If I’m in-system and in dire straits, then the Escape Capsule is the preferred option (if it’s not damaged, of course).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I usually don't carry an escape pod, and I think I've never used one except for testing purposes. My main means of getting out of a dangerous situation are the cloaking device and the fuel injector, in that order.

I always buy a GH as soon as possible, simply because I don't want to bother to find a system with a high enough TL first, when I want to jump to the next galaxy.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

El Viejo wrote:
I always carry a GHD… it is the only get-out if caught in interstellar space, having splashed a Thargoid swarm, and you don’t have enough fuel for a Hyperspace jump.
Yes that is a good reason to carry one, however at the moment I'm in Galaxy 4 and have not yet done the Nova mission. I'm aware that only triggers if I have a GH, so would rather wait until I have got bored with G4 before buying one.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

I'm in the same situation as JazHaz so the the Gal drive isn't really an option for me at the moment. That being said, although I have an escape pod fitted I usually rely on the injectors if it's all going south.

I've actually only used my pod once. Most space bar moments seem to be sudden death in my case.

edited for tvpo
Last edited by Loxley on Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is still much music to be written in C major" Stravinsky
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

I have an Escape Pod, just for safety's sake. It just seems like a good idea. Ironically, a few times I have been so caught up in the fight, that I either misjudged, or simply forgot and got blown up anyways.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

...but what happens when the fuel injectors run out, there's no energy for cloaking & the shields are gone? I usually have an escape pod, but hardly ever use it -- mainly because I forget it's there (but sometimes I remember) -- unless it's a stratagem to go somewhere "impossible" aka interesting :twisted:
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Escape Pod - I do not use it, mainly because I would need an additional button on the gamepad. But also because I doubt I would think of it early enough in the middle of a situation.
But I plan to learn using it, when going for ironman play.

Of course I used it accidentally, when tired and trying to "escape" out of a dialoge / F-screen in flight, or was it trying to get to the options screen ?

And I used it when I just wanted to look sth. up at a nearby high-TL system shipyard - no mucking about in realspace. :D

The galactic jump is not yet really present in my mind - I am still in G2. Lately when I accidentally became fugitive, I did not think of it. Only later I tried and saw that a galactic jump does not need any time, so it would have been a good solution to the problem.
Commander Trigg
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Trigg »

Escape pod for me too. I don't want to leave G1 until I've completed all the oxp missions that are set here
Now over 1000 confirmed kills. Bring on the bad guys!
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I think some missions are only possible after you go all the way to G8 and back to G1, so I wouldnt worry about it too much. In fact Im pretty sure that one mission forces you to jump to G2. I wont go into details, cos, well most people know, and those that dont should have the fun of finding out themselves.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Loxley wrote:
I've actually only used my pod once. Most space bar moments seem to sudden death in my case.
Chrisfs wrote:
I have an Escape Pod, just for safety's sake. It just seems like a good idea. Ironically, a few times I have been so caught up in the fight, that I either misjudged, or simply forgot and got blown up anyways.
Zbond-Zbond wrote:
I usually have an escape pod, but hardly ever use it -- mainly because I forget it's there (but sometimes I remember) -- unless it's a stratagem to go somewhere "impossible" aka interesting :twisted:
snork wrote:
Escape Pod - I do not use it, mainly because I would need an additional button on the gamepad. But also because I doubt I would think of it early enough in the middle of a situation.
Seems like you all are potential customers for the auto_eject upgrade :D , which will be available once Oolite 1.74 is released (in Oolite 1.73.4 an important scripting bit is yet missing).
Cody

Post by Cody »

Contents of post deleted.
Last edited by Cody on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

El Viejo wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
have not yet done the Nova mission. I'm aware that only triggers if I have a GH.
Could someone please refresh my poor old memory… it’s been six months or so since I was declared a Nova Hero.
Why is a GHD required for the mission to trigger?
That would be a huge spoiler for those who haven't done the mission yet. So, please nobody answer the question right here. Rather send him a PM.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thanks McLane, didn't think of that.