Damn keyconfig...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Damn keyconfig...

Post by Sarin »

okay, does anyone know WHERE to edit key configuration in Oolite 1.73.4 on Windows 7 / 64 bit? Keyconfig.plist in Oolite/oolite.app/resources/config does not work, I've been looking through AppData in my profile folder, so far nothing...

also...I noticed, while testing it out, that Griff's Coriolis has blank grey docking port...is it a problem with my GPU (ATI...yea) or just unfinished?

Edit: okay, after meeting a shadered ship, I have to say that for some weird reason, shaders don't work (altho my video card should support them)
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

Press and hold shift when starting oolite until it reaches title screen when making any changes.
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

That's first thing I've tried...doesn't work
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

You can also place the keyconfig.plist in your addon folder so if you change it place the copy in there. That way you can remove it if you make any mistakes.
Last edited by Rustybolts on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Keyconfig: as Rustybolts said it should work, even though the preferred way to change keyconfig is by creating a Config directory inside /AddOns then put the modified keyconfig.plist inside that.

It might be a parsing issue, if for some reason there's a comma or semi-colon out of place Oolite won't be able to parse the entire plist and will fall back to the default keys.

Have a look at your latest.log (found inside the /oolite.app/Logs directory) and if you see some mumbo-jumbo about homebrew parsing, that's what the problem is. Do post the relevant bit of latest.log, it always helps to at least try and figure out what the problem is... :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Aye, parsing error

[plist.parse.foundation.failed]: Failed to parse Resources/Config/keyconfig.plist as a property list using Foundation. Retrying using homebrew parser. WARNING: the homebrew parser is deprecated and will be removed in a future version of Oolite.
Parse failed at line 13 (char 338) - unexpected character (wanted ';' or '}')
[plist.homebrew.parseError]: Property list isn't in XML format, homebrew parser can't help you.
[plist.parse.foundation.failed]: Failed to parse ../AddOns/keyconfig.plist as a property list using Foundation. Retrying using homebrew parser. WARNING: the homebrew parser is deprecated and will be removed in a future version of Oolite.
Parse failed at line 13 (char 338) - unexpected character (wanted ';' or '}')
[plist.homebrew.parseError]: Property list isn't in XML format, homebrew parser can't help you.

Also, a strange thing with shaders...when turned off, Kirin and few others seem to work normally, but Neolite stations don't, they work just with shaders enabled...damn, any solution to get them both?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Ok, looking at my copy of keyconfig.plist,

the missing character should definitely be ;

just make sure you've got the semicolon at the end of the line - like the lines above and below it - and your problems should be over!

Btw, in my copy of keyconfig.plist line 13 is the one containig
key_fire_lasers = "a";

About the shaders: not sure which ones, but the neolite oxp is still a bit of a work in progress, and has got some missing textures/texture related files, maybe that's the cause of what you're seeing atm...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

I can't find anything wrong with it...okay, it is 3 AM in the morning so I might miss something trivial, but my best guess is that opening and saving it in MS Word somehow screwed up the formatting.

Anyway, if someone wanna mess with it while I sleep, here it is.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Eeeeep! MS Word?!?!?!?

That will really mess with the formatting, and worse. I hope you were working with a copy of the original, because I don't know if it's even possible to repair the mess that will have made..

If needed, you can get an original version here.

Now, some tips for editing files in Oolite for Windows.
  • Notepad = BAD
    MS Word = VERY BAD
    Wordpad = OK
    Notepad++ = GOOD
Notepad++ can be obtained here.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Sarin wrote:
I can't find anything wrong with it...okay, it is 3 AM in the morning so I might miss something trivial, but my best guess is that opening and saving it in MS Word somehow screwed up the formatting.

Anyway, if someone wanna mess with it while I sleep, here it is.
Turns out that what was wrong with it was MS Word appended .txt to the filename when you saved it.. so that it became keyconfig.plist.txt. At least it didn't get saved as a .doc file, that really would have screwed it up, which is what I thought had happened to begin with.

If you fix the extension it would work fine.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

well, it still displays it as .plist type, no other extension...but doesn't work. I tried opening it, then save as/all file types and literally forcing it to be .plist, not working...damn win 7,

And by the way, recent shader tests...2/4 games I've tried that use shaders work fine with them enabled...and those two that don't are open source...I guess that ATI doesn't like OS.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yep, because Windows hides the extensions of known file types by default. You need to disable the feature in Explorer options. When I opened your keyconfig in notepad++ in my comp, it shows as keyconfig.plist.txt

I noticed you've download the default keyconfig.plist I posted. that should work fine if you only edit it with Notepad++ or Wordpad.

The shaders/open source thing is because open source projects use OpenGL instead of DirectX. There are some ATI driver versions that work ok with shaders, but there are other threads that deal with that. I'll see if I can dig them up for you soon.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Yep, because Windows hides the extensions of known file types by default. You need to disable the feature in Explorer options. When I opened your keyconfig in notepad++ in my comp, it shows as keyconfig.plist.txt
I doubt this is the problem because it detected an error on line 13. So it was recognised as the correct file. More likely are hidden characters, created by the evil word. I also get them sometimes when copying code that was displayed on this forum. The best way to get rid if them is than using a text-editor that can show hidden characters.

But it is not only windows than can hide extensions. The mac does also hide some extensions by default. e.g. I see the filename Oolite but actually it is Oolite.app on the mac.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Good point... but I suspect we have a case of two corrupted keyconfig files here.. Resources/Config/keyconfig.plist fails to parse, and so does /AddOns/keyconfig.plist.

And certainly, the copy Sarin posted at his MediaFire link is named keyconfig.plist.txt. I would suggest Sarin replace both copies with the clean original I put up at my box.net account, and then only edit the copy in the Addons folder, either with Wordpad, or preferably, Notepad++.

Edit: I apologise for the .txt bit. Somehow, the first time I downloaded Sarin's keyconfig file, Firefox managed to append .txt to the file. It is NOT there in the file Sarin uploaded. My apologies, Sarin. :oops:

Edit II: Further investigation shows that MS Word saved Sarin's keyconfig.plist file with CRLF line endings, instead of the needed LF line endings. This is why Firefox treated the file as a .txt file instead of a .plist file.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Sarin, it looks like the latest version of ATI drivers that works correctly (for the most part) with OpenGL shaders, is 9.10. The more recent versions such as 9.11 and 9.12 have broken OpenGL shader support.

Here is the thread detailing the situation.
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7121