Tiger Mark 1 vs SuperCobra.

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Which is the better ship?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:10 am

Tiger Mk1
25%
SuperCobra
75%

Total votes: 12

RazorbackSnr
Above Average
Above Average

Tiger Mark 1 vs SuperCobra.

Post by RazorbackSnr »

Hello Everyone!

Just bought a Tiger Mk 1 and its a very impressive ship. 8)
.50LM, 6 pylons, 50 TC capacity etc.

Think it was 800,000Cr?

What makes a SuperCobra twice the price then??? :?

Sorry for starting a new topic...... :roll:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Tiger Mark 1 vs SuperCobra.

Post by Commander McLane »

RazorbackSnr wrote:
There are two possible answers to this question, depending on where you got the ship from:

1) If you installed Tiger.oxp and Supercobra.oxp, the question is not "what", but "who"; and the answer is: the respective ship designer, who have used their complete freedom to put a pricetag on their creations.

2) If you happen to use Realistic Shipyards instead, the answer is: a formula with which Lestradae has calculated a ship's value depending on its stats, taking into account everything and weighing it in a certain way. You can search for the formula in the very early RS-threads. (I am not using RS, because I don't want to strip the ship designers of their freedom to charge whatever they see fit (and whatever a pilot is ready to pay).)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

RazorbackSnr wrote:
Besides McLane's arguments: the super Cobra is much better when looking at the energy recharge rate. 4.5 vs. 7.0. With the super cobra you can stay cloaked forever because its recharge rate is higher than the energy consumption of the cloak.
For this it makes sense to make the SC very expensive: with permanent cloak you are invulnerable in combat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
For this it makes sense to make the SC very expensive: with permanent cloak you are invulnerable in combat.
The downside is of course that you'll never make it to ELITE that way, because your kills are not counted.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Grumble, grumble...

Both of those are ships that I simply refuse to install to my Oolite. They simply break the game and the game world by offering inexplicable power that is in no way in balance with, for example, the police or military ships.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Wolfwood wrote:
Grumble, grumble...

Both of those are ships that I simply refuse to install to my Oolite. They simply break the game and the game world by offering inexplicable power that is in no way in balance with, for example, the police or military ships.
Yes the über-ship syndrome... ;-)...

or U.S.S Super Cobra or U.S.S Tiger MK-1;-)...

would make a nice prefix to use for them though.. but
will surely be misunderstood..

Not quite fond of these either... But you can´t expect that people cares to take a look at existing ships in Oolite first, before designing one, these days, while on a personel level i think people should really try to balance their ships against the existing build in ships, note the "unwritten" rules, and then set the stats...

Luckly we have the option, to exclude them...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
RazorbackSnr
Above Average
Above Average

Post by RazorbackSnr »

Thanks chaps.(I think...) :D
Its just in my PCC with N.E.U and MShEnh., Shield Boosters etc. the Supercobra seems to die marginally slower than a MkIII. Tigers aren't much tougher...... Its Mussuranas that are an ABSOLUTE b'stard.

1.6 MILLION Cr's........... :shock:

Seems a lot.

One other thing(off topic, apologies...) :roll:
Can somebody PLEASE write an OXP so that Missiles and ECM are returned to normal. Like they used to be on 8-bit machines.

Some one launches a missile at me.....

I suupose now is as good a time as any to mention i'm colour blind. Cannisters and missiles and asteroids are all the same colour.

1: The warning klaxon is CRAP. She sometimes says it,"Incoming missile", sometimes she doesn't. :(
2: The message"Incoming Missile" is the same colour, font etc. as "Aft view" blah blah. Its just not noticeable enough when getting a bead on your fourth mamba in amongst maybe 6-7 pirates. By the time i've nearly put my left forefinger through the e button and therefore my keyboard im DEAD. Annoying if i've spent the last 40 kills in amongst rock hermits/salvage gangs etc. No Saves! :(
3: No E appears when running ECM either. I'd like to know if someone else is killing my missiles. :x
4. Why can some bounty hunters kill my ECMh missiles. 350Cr each!!! :evil:
5: Can you change the scanner colours???
Sorry if this has been discussed two years ago but i've only just broke 2000 kills so i havent been doing this long.

Thanks!!!!!
Cloaked Iron-Ass SuperCobra.
Galaxy 1.......
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

RazorbackSnr wrote:
This is the only one I'm remotely qualified to answer, so... hardheads aren't immune to ECMs. There's always a chance that an ECM pulse will pop one. Sod's Law dictates that this will happen at the least convenient moment!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Ok, here's a quick OXP hack "NoHardHeads.oxp".

http://www.box.net/shared/qqjojq4txn

Hard Heads now respond to ECM bursts in the same way as standard missiles, so will always be popped by an ECM blast. This applies to player missiles too. The HardHead will still be offered for sale in the shipyard, but don't waste your Credits on it as it will behave the same as a standard missile!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

RazorbackSnr wrote:
1: The warning klaxon is CRAP. She sometimes says it,"Incoming missile", sometimes she doesn't. :(
2: The message"Incoming Missile" is the same colour, font etc. as "Aft view" blah blah. Its just not noticeable enough when getting a bead on your fourth mamba in amongst maybe 6-7 pirates. By the time i've nearly put my left forefinger through the e button and therefore my keyboard im DEAD. Annoying if i've spent the last 40 kills in amongst rock hermits/salvage gangs etc. No Saves! :(
3: No E appears when running ECM either. I'd like to know if someone else is killing my missiles. :x
5: Can you change the scanner colours???
Sorry if this has been discussed two years ago but i've only just broke 2000 kills so i havent been doing this long.

Thanks!!!!!

1) So change it for a different sound ;) There are some custom sound OXPs in the wiki (look near the bottom below the full list for lists sorted by category, sounds is the first one). Or alternatively use any sound file (in .ogg format) that takes your fancy, renamed to warning.ogg and installed as an OXP (under <installdir>\AddOns\<oxpname>\Sounds) or in place of your existing file (<installdir>\oolite.app\Resources\Sounds\warning.ogg). It is possible to play a sound for incoming missiles too (your vocal warning), but that's slightly more complex to set up.
2) First step would be to install the Missile Analyser OXP. That will give you details (via a longer-lasting console message) of any missile fired at you except for a normal one. Better than nothing, and not too hard to recode to include those.
3) The fact they blow up isn't enough? Adding the E would be a trunk change. I don't think it's possible to detect an NPC ship firing it's ECM via scripting, at least without re-coding missile entities (both trunk and OXP).
4) Already covered, but to elaborate: on an ECM pulse hardheads have a 1 in 20 chance of exploding and another 1 in 20 chance of detonating (exploding does no damage, detonating inflicts damage to any ship within 250m of it). So basically there's a 1 in 10 chance an ECM pulse will pop a hardhead, and each press of the ECM button triggers 4 ECM pulses in sequence, with each pulse covering an increasing radius from the ship (so closer hardheads have more chance of going bang than distant ones do).
5) No, at least not without changing the trunk code.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

LittleBear wrote:
Ok, here's a quick OXP hack "NoHardHeads.oxp".

http://www.box.net/shared/qqjojq4txn

Hard Heads now respond to ECM bursts in the same way as standard missiles, so will always be popped by an ECM blast. This applies to player missiles too. The HardHead will still be offered for sale in the shipyard, but don't waste your Credits on it as it will behave the same as a standard missile!
So what's the point of a hardhead now? It's supposed to be an ECM hardened missile, not immune to ECM but toughened up. Now it's just the same as an ordinary missile and as you rightly say a waste of money. The main advantage of a hardhat is that you can improve your odds when jumped by a space gang when a couple of them have to run off temporarily whilst you sort out the others
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I know but Razorback asked for an OXP that removes the hard heads and makes missiles behave as the did on 8 bit elite, so thats what the quick hack does. If you put the nohardheads.oxp in then all missiles are always zapped by ecm. I could add an equipment.plist to remove the hardhead from the shipyard as well. :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Captain Tylor
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Captain Tylor »

would it be possible to have ECM just reduce damage done by hard head missiles as a middle ground
Captain Tylor
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Captain Tylor »

would it be possible to have ECM just reduce damage done by hard head missiles as a middle ground
Captain Tylor
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Captain Tylor »