[WIP]Trident Shipyard Corp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmdr Vault
Average
Average

[WIP]Trident Shipyard Corp

Post by Cmdr Vault »

Most recent version 0.3.1 Download:
http://www.box.com/s/158ebf42bfeb53ee86f9

Changelog:

V0.1:
- initial release

V0.2:
- corrected missing semicolon in shipdata.plist
- removed the UV-Map from the pirates texture

V0.3:
- Changed all scripts to Openstep
- Cargo bay size increased
- External views fixed
- Max number of rockets increased to 6
- Port and startboard weapons position fixed
- Removed pirate ship from shipyard list
- New skins and shaders (shaders code from Simon Bridge)

V0.3.1:
- Reduced size of textures to 512x512 px
Hi everybody!

A few weeks ago I stumbled over Oolite after recovering my original ELITE game boxes in my basement. I really loved the games 20 years ago and I'm very happy with the recreation of it for new PCs!
After playing around with the game for a few days and installing tons of OXPs I decided to create my own ship. This is the first time I used a 3D modelling software (Blender 3D) so it took quite a time and several tries to create something, at least looking a little like a spaceship.
But now I'm happy to present the result of all the hours of work:

The Trident Spaceyard Corp proudly announces the release of the brand new "Trident Privateer Mark II". It's a allround 'lone wolf' trader, with slightly enhanced stats compared with the Cobra Mark III.

There are different versions available: trader, hunter, pirate (available for players) and police (npc only).

The trader/player:

The hunter:

The pirate:

The police:

Trader, hunter & pirate have the same stats, the standard police version is slightly enhanced and there are rumors that an enhanced intercepter version exists.
Theres a very rare "Trident Privateer Mark I" available, too. Ist has identical stats as the Cobra III, and was the first try in creating a ship for Oolite, which I think looks not as nice as the Mark II versions, but I learned so much while creating it and it took so much time to make it, so I decided not to throw it away.

The OXP is not completely finished. I will probably tweak some stats and perhaps change the textures a bit. I still have a problem with showing the ships within the demoships. Probably you guys will find some problems and 'bad' things I have done, too. Ideas for improvement are very welcome :D

Commander Vault.

Download:
http://www.box.com/s/158ebf42bfeb53ee86f9
Last edited by Cmdr Vault on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: [WIP]Trident Shipyard Corp

Post by Smivs »

Hi Commander Vault, and welcome.
Great-looking ship and great first post! :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

that's a nice sleek looker. not sure a company would openly produce a "pirate" version for criminals tho! :-D
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Killer Wolf wrote:
that's a nice sleek looker. not sure a company would openly produce a "pirate" version for criminals tho! :-D
Niche marketing! :D
Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Post by Ironfist »

Commander Vault.

Nice looking ships. I downloaded the oxp and gave it a run everything seems to work fine. The ships appear in the demo, you just have to wait a while to get through to them.

Ironfist
64bit Mint 10 and Win 8 64bit on E8400 at 3.6GHz - ATI HD5750 graphics.
Concentration is the ability to think of absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ironfist wrote:
Commander Vault.

Nice looking ships. I downloaded the oxp and gave it a run everything seems to work fine. The ships appear in the demo, you just have to wait a while to get through to them.

Ironfist
Or you could tap the left and right cursor keys to cycle through the ships faster?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

As Smivs said, an excellent first post! You've got a sturdy looking ship there! I would note that there is already a ship called the Trident Executive Shuttle out there, manufactured by Executive Spaceways, but they're different enough that there should be no confusion.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Just downloaded it but will launch it this evening after work to see the ships. I just noticed a syntax error in line 312 of the shipdata.plist. It should be

Code: Select all

max_cargo = 16;
That is with a semicolon that is now missing. Windows and linux don't bother about this, but the mac is quite strict in this. On the good side is that the mac already does a syntax check on creating the icon for the file, so that wrong plist already drew the attention when opening the oxp folder.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I use Linux, and it won't parse a plist with missing characters, and does log errors like missing semi-colons. It's maybe fussier than you think.
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

I love the shape of the ship. Very nice. When my primary computer is working again I'll try it out. :D
Smivs wrote:
I use Linux, and it won't parse a plist with missing characters, and does log errors like missing semi-colons. It's maybe fussier than you think.
I agree. Linux is NOT forgiving when it comes to .plist files. I need a .plist verifier... I think I remember hearing about one, I need to check the BB archives...
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

It appears that all operating systems are as fussy as mine. Using Windows XP a missing semi colon will cause the shipdata.plist to fail to parse. It would seem all(or nearly all) syntax errors are brought to my attention using Windows XP. A good OS to make oxps with. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
.... Windows XP. A good OS to make oxps with. :)
Not really. Windows isn't case-sensitive. It thinks ANACONDA is the same as anaconda :roll:
Cmdr Vault
Average
Average

Post by Cmdr Vault »

that's a nice sleek looker. not sure a company would openly produce a "pirate" version for criminals tho!
Hi Killer Wolf!

Hehe, I think you're right. I just wanted to make it possible to have the fitting shipdesign if you decide to start a career as outlaw. Perhaps the sale could be explained as sale of a used 'Privateer' which has been painted by it previous owner. :)

Commander Vault
Cmdr Vault
Average
Average

Post by Cmdr Vault »

Commander Vault.

Ironfist
Hi Ironfist,

that's strange. I have tried it several times and I tapped left and right to scroll through the ships, too. Is there any randomness for displaying the ships, or are they shown always? I can only see the "Privateer Mark I", not the other models.

ust downloaded it but will launch it this evening after work to see the ships. I just noticed a syntax error in line 312 of the shipdata.plist. It should be

Code: Select all

max_cargo = 16;
That is with a semicolon that is now missing. Windows and linux don't bother about this, but the mac is quite strict in this. On the good side is that the mac already does a syntax check on creating the icon for the file, so that wrong plist already drew the attention when opening the oxp folder.
Hi Eric Walsh,

I had no errors in the log about that, though I already had some, when I forgot the semicolon at the end of other lines in the shipdata.pslist. Do they only show up, when the ship is spawned by Oolite? Perhaps I had just been so 'lucky' and the game never spaned a trader for me...

Thanks for all the replies! I corrected the typo and the Version 0.2 is now available. I will edit my first posting to keep the newest version always on top.

Commander Vault
Cmdr Vault
Average
Average

Post by Cmdr Vault »

Hi!

Could anyone tell me, how I get knowledge of the exact size of my models? I want to design a spacestation next: the Trident Shipyards Corp Headquaters, and it would of great help to know the size of my models docking bay. ;)

Greetings,
Commander Vault