Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Veteran or Newbie

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

How well do you know this game?

Total Newbie to this type of game
No votes
Played games sort of like it
7%
Elite? What's that?
No votes
Tried Oolite.. Too hard
No votes
Elite/Oolite.. Addicted
32%
Veteran Addicted
36%
Veteran. Addicted and write code
25%

Total votes: 44

Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Veteran or Newbie

Post by Alex »

I was just wondering how many members are new to the space lanes compared to the ones that control them.
By control them I mean fly well enough to make your above average pirate wish they had stayed home with mother.

I first heard of Oolite from my younger brother. He sent a link to 1.65 with the addage
"Don't loose your mind in this game like you did with Elite"

48 Hours later.. E-mail back to him;

"Too Late"

"Addicted again"
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Veteran or Newbie

Post by Commander McLane »

Some options missing. What about those of us who create OXPs? (Creating OXPs and writing code—which I interpret as game code—are two vastly different things IMO.) I have created a fair share of OXPs, but never once written one line of Obj C code for the underlying game mechanics.

Also, what about the newbies who have already released an OXP or two? One of the great things about Oolite's expandability is that you don't need to be a veteran, and indeed don't need to know the first thing about the game's code itself, in order to produce OXPs. :D
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

I took writing code to mean, looking under the hood even if you take 2 pre-made wires and connect them backwards for s**ts and giggles.

Hell that's all I ever seem to do. Code jacking that is no time for anything else.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

OOOO. Commanders McLane and ClymAngus,
A couple of my heros of Oolite at one time.

With different opinions on what is progging.. writing code. Making sumit work in software.
I know nothing about the games core code. Never looked into it.
But can tweek without Ubering my machine, Thanks to this chat site.
Keeping the game heaps of fun

Really guys, yous are great.

But Cmd'r McLane The options were good, a newbie wouldn't know a lot about oxps, and given the age of Elite. There is a good chance they never heard of it. I just wanted to see how many were space lane virgins. I see a few on the boards and it is clear they have never played Elite.

Probably in any it's later forms either.
P.S. Really hated the real time physics version. Not a game! A Real pain in gaming.

There doesn't seem to be a real link to a "key does this" link. You probably wouldn't notice because you are addicted vet with code. and what you see as obvious is gobbeldygoopise to the unaware.

Cmdr ClymAngus,

Thank you for the maps, again.
Could have lost heaps of all sorts if not for them.

I agree, When I buy a ship, I kick the exhaust, stab the hydros and pulse shoot the life support.
Thought that was standard for thinking about taking on a ship.
Very assured that the hood will be openend with the best tech on planet at hand, encouraged with a wee hand pulse laser to tell truth about real condition of ship.
I don't tend to like lemons. They smell bad on burning.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Alex wrote:
There doesn't seem to be a real link to a "key does this" link. You probably wouldn't notice because you are addicted vet with code. and what you see as obvious is gobbeldygoopise to the unaware.
Start->Programs->Oolite->Oolite Reference Sheet. A possible reason why there might be no real links to a "key does this" could be that it has been already existing on your computer from the first moment you installed Oolite. ;-)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander McLane wrote:
Some options missing. What about those of us who create OXPs? (Creating OXPs and writing code—which I interpret as game code—are two vastly different things IMO.) I have created a fair share of OXPs, but never once written one line of Obj C code for the underlying game mechanics.

Also, what about the newbies who have already released an OXP or two? One of the great things about Oolite's expandability is that you don't need to be a veteran, and indeed don't need to know the first thing about the game's code itself, in order to produce OXPs. :D
I don't write code and I almost never have much chance to play the game any more - but I love contributing to the forum and happy to do my bit for YAH and Snoopers and Ring Racing Teams and general background stuff in the fiction section....
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Start->Programs->Oolite->Oolite Reference Sheet. A possible reason why there might be no real links to a "key does this" could be that it has been already existing on your computer from the first moment you installed Oolite.
Ah. So that's where the Destructions are hidden. First time I've seen them. Very usefull.
Err. Different subject; How do you get the quoted commanders name into the 'Quote' line?
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Alex wrote:
Err. Different subject; How do you get the quoted commanders name into the 'Quote' line?

Code: Select all

[quote="Alex"]
Clicking on the "Quote" button which is handily located in the bottom right corner of each post will do that for you automagically. :wink:
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Commander McLane wrote:
Alex wrote:

Code: Select all

[quote="Alex"]
Clicking on the "Quote" button which is handily located in the bottom right corner of each post will do that for you automagically. :wink:
DOH!
Thanks Cmdr McLane
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

I'm not a Veteran of Oolite/Elite, but I've played a lot of Star Wars X-Wing games, and they aren't that far different. The Star Wars games have more of a plot, and greater detail, but don't get me wrong, I actually like Oolite better. Less plot, more freedom. I've only been playing a month, and I'm past the Dangerous stage, and closing in on Deadly. Pirates, and Outlaws are weenies. It's the Thargoids that blow me away........literally. I usually try to jump system, if there are more than three Thargoids around. :mrgreen:

Still haven't been able to connect with one of the rarer ships, like the Werewolf, and yes, I have already long since put the OXPs for every ship OXP I could find, into Add Ons. :?
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

mandoman wrote:
I'm not a Veteran of Oolite/Elite, but I've played a lot of Star Wars X-Wing games, and they aren't that far different. The Star Wars games have more of a plot, and greater detail, but don't get me wrong, I actually like Oolite better. Less plot, more freedom. I've only been playing a month, and I'm past the Dangerous stage, and closing in on Deadly. Pirates, and Outlaws are weenies. It's the Thargoids that blow me away........literally. I usually try to jump system, if there are more than three Thargoids around. :mrgreen:

Still haven't been able to connect with one of the rarer ships, like the Werewolf, and yes, I have already long since put the OXPs for every ship OXP I could find, into Add Ons. :?
Plot? We can do plot! :wink:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

mandoman wrote:
As you said, it may be one of the rarer ships. Have you consulted the OXP's readMe? It may contain information about availability (for instance which techlevel is needed).

EDIT: According to its [EliteWiki] Wiki page (right at the bottom) it should be available in shipyards of techlevel 7 or more. So just keep looking.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

I don't write code. I only write fiction sometimes. That's different, it's nowhere near as serious as like, actually writing code. Those people who write code, yeah, they're seriously addicted. But I could stop anytime. I know my limits. Yeah.

(Remembers the clipboard loaded with maps and planet notes and ship spec sheets hanging by the monitor and quickly hides it under the joystick)

Gee, look at the time. Gotta be going. I need to talk to a certain yellow lobsteroid mechanic about the hydraulic pressure on the throttle. It felt a little slushy in combat earlier. They're so dang high on maintenance, y'know? Good luck with the poll, though!

(Hurries towards the station docking bay)
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Commander McLane wrote:
mandoman wrote:
As you said, it may be one of the rarer ships. Have you consulted the OXP's readMe? It may contain information about availability (for instance which techlevel is needed).

EDIT: According to its [EliteWiki] Wiki page (right at the bottom) it should be available in shipyards of techlevel 7 or more. So just keep looking.
ReadMe? Who reads ReadMe? :lol:

I'll check them out. Thanks. :)
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

mandoman wrote:

ReadMe? Who reads ReadMe? :lol:

I'll check them out. Thanks. :)
On a serious note, the readme is included in an OXP because it contains VITAL information about the OXP, such as what it does and how it plays with other OXPs. These should always be read carefully.
A large number of issues and problems we resolve on this board could have been answered or even avoided if the readme had been read.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.