Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Solved] Problems running Oolite under Ubuntu 11.04 Natty...

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

tenorman1971
Above Average
Above Average

[Solved] Problems running Oolite under Ubuntu 11.04 Natty...

Post by tenorman1971 »

Just done the update from 10.10 to 11.04, and now find I can't run oolite. I was running version 1.75.1 with no problems under Maverick, then when I upgraded I found it froze. So, I uninstalled it and tried installing 1.65 from the repository. This won't even start up - even though it now appears in my Games folder. So, tried downloading the 1.75.1 again from the oolite page and followed the instructions to use autopackage, and this won't work now - don't get an error message, it just doesn't do anything. Has anyone else running Ubuntu had problems when they've upgraded to Natty Narwhal?

Cheers
tenorman1971
Above Average
Above Average

Re: Problems running Oolite under Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Post by tenorman1971 »

Just following up my own post. Have tried the autopackage route again through terminal, rather than just right clicking the package and opening with GTK package manager. This time I get the error message
"g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
apkg-io: line 309: 6332 Terminated autopackage-frontend-gtk "$@""

Can anyone translate for me?

Cheers
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

I've just done a clean install of Natty, and am in the process of downloading various programs. Just tried downloading from oolite.org, which has given me oolite-1.75.1-test.x86.tgz, and am unable to extract any files from it.

I get the error message:
An error occurred while loading the archive. wrote:
gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
It's possible I've forgotten how to install it... I remember that on maverick I had added somewhere to my software sources, but I've no idea where that was...
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Try removing the autopackage stuff : How to remove the Autopackage environment

then follow this : New distribution-neutral package format

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
tenorman1971
Above Average
Above Average

Post by tenorman1971 »

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Try removing the autopackage stuff : How to remove the Autopackage environment

then follow this : New distribution-neutral package format
I'm not sure there's a lot I can follow there, unless "about to launch" means something more to people with more experience of Linux than me.

Removing all the autopackage stuff worked ok, and I guess isn't a bad thing. Thanks
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

I agree it's easy to overlook :
Getafix wrote:
To give it a try, the nightly snapshot packages x86 and x86_64 are delivered in the new format.
use the x86 or x86_64 link (whichever is appropriate for your system) , download the .tgz and try to extract and run it.

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

In my case, I've now tried re-downloading oolite-1.75.1-test.x86.tgz, and have followed the instructions in the HowToInstall.txt, namely,
Then execute the following:
(replace <package_name> with the actual name of the
.package file - without the '<' and '>' characters)
$ chmod u+x <package_name>.package
$ ./<package_name>.package
All that has happened is that it appears to have installed the Manage 3rd Party applications thing - it hasn't installed Oolite at all. I've tried manually clicking on the package, can get as far as entering my password when prompted, and then nothing happens.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Unfortunately I will be on GPRS bandwidth till this Sunday.
This makes impossible for me to download and try-out Ubuntu Natty. :(

@Mauiby de Fug:
Are you on Ubuntu Natty too?

@tenorman1971 and @Mauiby de Fug:
For the time being, please, download the linux nightly that corresponds to your architecture:
32bit: click here
64bit: click here

Example download, extraction, installation and execution for oolite nightly rev4537 for 64bit architecture:

Code: Select all

$ wget http://nightly.oolite.org/linux/oolite-trunk-1.75.2.4537-dev.linux-x86_64.tgz
$ tar xzvf oolite-trunk-1.75.2.4537-dev.linux-x86_64.tgz
$ ./oolite-trunk-1.75.2.4537-dev.linux-x86_64.run
$ cd ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite-trunk
$ ./oolite-trunk
Is oolite-trunk running? Please, post the output of the terminal window.
Last edited by Getafix on Thu May 05, 2011 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added a question for Mauiby de Fug.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
tenorman1971
Above Average
Above Average

Post by tenorman1971 »

Getafix wrote:
Unfortunately I will be on GPRS bandwidth till this Sunday.
This makes impossible for me to download and try-out Ubuntu Natty. :(

@Mauiby de Fug:
Are you on Ubuntu Natty too?

For the time being, please, download the linux nightly that corresponds to your architecture:
32bit: click here
64bit: click here

Example download, extraction, installation and execution for oolite nightly rev4537 for 64bit architecture:

$ wget http://nightly.oolite.org/linux/oolite-trunk-1.75.2.4537-dev.linux-x86_64.tgz
$ tar xzvf oolite-trunk-1.75.2.4537-dev.linux-x86_64.tgz
$ ./oolite-trunk-1.75.2.4537-dev.linux-x86_64.run
$ cd ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite-trunk
$ ./oolite-trunk
Is oolite-trunk running? Please, post the output of the terminal window.

Well, I didn't do it quite as neatly as this. I downloaded the .tgz file (rev4535 I think) using my browser and then extracted it to /opt/Oolite

Took a while to track down where to mkdir AddOns to put my keyconfig.plist file in, but it's all working now. Only, it doesn't show up on my Games menu - I have to run it from terminal. I can live with that for now though.

Cheers.
tenorman1971
Above Average
Above Average

Post by tenorman1971 »

Just following up my previous posts - now that I have the nightly build working, I have been using the classic BBC key layout (I was an old Acorn Electron elite player many years ago!) Now that I've put this version on after upgrading to Natty, the right and left arrow keys for yawing right and left no longer work. I'm using the same keyconfig as before - the one from http://svn.berlios.de/viewvc/oolite-lin ... iew=markup

anyone any ideas as to why the codes for left and right arrows may have changed?

Cheers
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Yep, did a clean install of Natty yesterday and have spent my spare time downloading programs and shouting/cursing at Unity...
Followed your instructions and they worked beautifully. Up came a readme in the terminal and then it started to play.

As usual, this popped up, but if I remember correctly, it's always done that and it's nothing to worry about.

bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
Seems to work fine - launched from the station and took a few pot shots at the station and some vipers with no problems. Now to copy over my oxps and old save games. I wasn't really intending to use trunk, but if it works, (and it seems to!) then so be it! Cheers for the help!
tenorman1971
Above Average
Above Average

Post by tenorman1971 »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Yep, did a clean install of Natty yesterday and have spent my spare time downloading programs and shouting/cursing at Unity...
Slightly off topic, but I found that unity only lasted for a couple of boot-ups before I reverted to classic Gnome desktop - old tweed wearing codger that I am. None of this fancy app layout for me (at least not yet!)

Cheers
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

I anticipated I'd end up switching to classic Gnome rather fast, or giving Gnome 3/Shell a go, but so far Unity's been tolerable. I was surprised to find myself liking the AppMenu, or at least I do for maximised windows. I'd prefer it not to function on non-maximised windows, but that's not built in yet. And as I usually work with maximised windows anyway, I'll probably adapt. In fact, I'm even beginning to tolerate the close/maximise/minimise buttons being on the left, rather than the right, just for the sake of the menu. It's growing on me, slowly...

I really don't like the launcher - I'm not a fan of things inserting themselves on top of things I'm working on. But I've managed to get it so that it autohides, and only ever appears when I move my mouse over the the upper left corner button thing. Which I'm very rarely ever going to do, as I hate the way the Dash looks. Again, a giant overlay thing. Ych a fi! Thankfully, I'll very rarely ever need to use it, as I use Kupfer instead, and have done for some time now.

To be honest, I don't really see any new functionality in Unity. The keyboard shortcuts are ones I already used in Maverick via Compiz, I used Kupfer, Cardapio and DockbarX well enough that they did more or less the same job as the Dash and Launcher, and it takes away the ability to customize. However, I've surprisingly got it working in a usable state that I actually don't mind, so I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt for now and see how I adapt. The fact I can't arrange the indicator applets in an order I want annoys me a bit though...
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Happy you are both back in the game! :)

@tenorman1971:
tenorman1971 wrote:
...I downloaded the .tgz file (rev4535 I think) using my browser and then extracted it to /opt/Oolite...
Could you, please, explain a bit what do you mean when you say you extracted it in /opt/Oolite?
Decompressing the .tgz file, extracts a .run file.
If you execute the .run file then
if you are root it installs oolite-trunk under /opt/Oolite-trunk or,
if you are not root, it installs oolite-trunk under ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite-trunk
This process should also install an "Oolite-trunk (oolite.org)" menu item under Games.

tenorman1971 wrote:
...now that I have the nightly build working...
Mauiby de Fug wrote:
...I wasn't really intending to use trunk...
Be patient for a couple of days more. Oolite 1.75.2 is to be released this weekend. :)

@Mauiby de Fug:
tenorman1971 wrote:
...Only, it doesn't show up on my Games menu...
Mauiby de Fug wrote:
...I don't really see any new functionality in Unity...
...However, I've surprisingly got it working in a usable state that I actually don't mind, so I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt for now...
Mauiby, did you manage to have an "Oolite-trunk (oolite.org)" menu item under Games?
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Ooh, I didn't know 1.75.2 was coming that soon! Excellent!

Don't worry, Getafix, I do have an oolite-trunk menu item! It installed and works fine! I was just having an off-topic rant about Unity/Natty compared to Maverick... Sorry if that wasn't clear!

The only problem I seem to have now is that Compiz has a memory leak or something... Looking at the processes in System Monitor, its memory starts off at 23MiB (or something like that...) when I first log in, and then the memory then proceeds to increase at the rate of 1MiB every 20 seconds... Which means that after a while the computer gets rather slow/overheats and turns off... But that is nothing to do with Oolite, so don't worry!