Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Show and Tell (new ships/ ships in progress)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Show and Tell (new ships/ ships in progress)

Post by Staer9 »

Update on the Chupacabra:

The model and texturing is complete, now to convert to .dat and write up all the shipdata/shipyard/demoships stuff and then it will be ready for release.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Well I've been having a play lately, to see if I could get into this shader lark now that I have a laptop which can support them. So of course I needed a test-bed to work on, with inspiration coming from a DVD.

So in my personal test ooniverse, we now have uploaded a Tron Cobra...

Image Image

Nice and simple, just a retexture of the standard trunk ship, but working well for what I want. The circuit glow dims as the ship takes damage, and flickers when it's in serious trouble and throwing sparks. Plus it has the usual red glowy stuff if it overheats as well, and generally looks quite nice and cyber. Oh and they come in a range of subtly coloured glows, not just the rather magnolia cream above.

Just my little play-toy for the moment, although I might model up some new ships to do it "properly" sometime. But as I'm still having fun learning all the shader stuff, it could be a while ;)

In any case, as it was show and tell, I thought I would...
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I wanted to do this - and is why I made the request (along with others) to have editable engine plumes - I wanted to do long orange plumes for offenders and fugitives and blue/white plumes for vipers - just as something silly - not as a serious oxp addition to the Ooniverse.

So thank-you!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

The coming-soon Griff-style Chopped Cobra (AKA cobra 3.5) Modeled in two hours, texture-mapped this morning, textured... who knows?

Made using bits and peices of Griffs Cobra MK3 and The Cobra 3.5, it is almost exactly the same size as the cobra 3.5, so if you think the engines look huge, well thats because they are.

feedback welcome.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Thargoid wrote:

Just my little play-toy for the moment, although I might model up some new ships to do it "properly" sometime.
Yes please! I like a lot.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I like it a lot! Well Done. Two hours you say? I hate talented people... :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

It would have taken much longer, but thankfully I had almost all I needed in Griffs cobra3 and the cobra3.5, all I had to do was sew it all together
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Sigh... You people are most inconsiderate! I go through and update all my oxps to 1.75 versions, then haven't had much chance to play for the past few months, and now all these new exciting looking ships and oxps keep popping up. I'll have to go through the entire list working out what I want again!

Keep it coming!
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Staer9 you are quite the seamstress. My game is cobra-centric so more cobras are better. Looks like an upscale hunter variant. Probably comes standard with all kinds of goodies. Me like! :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I wanted to do this - and is why I made the request (along with others) to have editable engine plumes - I wanted to do long orange plumes for offenders and fugitives and blue/white plumes for vipers - just as something silly - not as a serious oxp addition to the Ooniverse.

So thank-you!
If you (or anyone else) fancies a quick play with the thing - click here for a teaser OXP of it. Requires shaders - full is best but will work with limited as well.

The exhaust plumes don't change colour (as that's not possible to do), but the ship itself can have multifarious subtle shades.

And I guess it's also another addition for CommonSenseOTB's family of Cobra's too, albeit not one as pretty as the igor frankencobra above.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Downloaded - at sometime in the future I might even have time to try it out!
Selezen wrote:
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Thargoid wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:

So thank-you!
If you (or anyone else) fancies a quick play with the thing - click here for a teaser OXP of it. Requires shaders - full is best but will work with limited as well.

The exhaust plumes don't change colour (as that's not possible to do), but the ship itself can have multifarious subtle shades.

And I guess it's also another addition for CommonSenseOTB's family of Cobra's too, albeit not one as pretty as the igor frankencobra above.
I've had a chance to look at it and even without shaders(acer aspire one netbook :roll: ) it is quite nice. After oolite 2.0 I will have to upgrade to a better computer.

Staer9, I await your igor frankencobra with interest.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

WIKI+OXPs
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Sorry, but I have to admit to straying from the texturing (I absolutely hate texturing) and this is quite a big job, it is hugely difficult to create something that can fit in with a griff universe, unfortunately model and texture come in a package...
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Staer9 wrote:
Sorry, but I have to admit to straying from the texturing (I absolutely hate texturing) and this is quite a big job, it is hugely difficult to create something that can fit in with a griff universe, unfortunately model and texture come in a package...
Whatever the case may be it fits in MY ooniverse. :D

WIKI+OXPs
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

A shot of the Chopped Cobra in-game: