Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Show and Tell (new ships/ ships in progress)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Show and Tell (new ships/ ships in progress)

Post by Thargoid »

Yup, I use Wings3D where the coloured arrows point in the (positive) axes directions. Hence the comment, as your green (Z) axis arrow is pointing backwards relative to the model.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Smivs wrote:
Staer9 wrote:
Chupacabra modeling complete:
however I will stretch the beak forward as it looks like a duck
Chupaquackra!
Chupaquakery? No! Chupatastic design. Looking at the drawn picture from the article on the "Goat Sucker" the rounded blunt nose/cockpit of Staer9's Chupacabra seems to match it quite nicely.Well done. What's the "scale" of this ship? Bigger than a cobra 1 and smaller than a cobra 3? Can't wait to see it skinned. 8)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

ADCK... :shock:

What have you done. We just gotta get better collision detection so we can have races with small ships flying between the protusions/buildings on the surfaces of huge ships. Death Star here we come! :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

WIKI+OXPs
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

@CSOTB collision detection isn't actually that bad, on huge ships it is generally possible to fly between spikes... however it does depend on the size of ADCKs ship.

I'm glad you like my bird-ship, but I really didn't like that beak so on the current model it is much longer and pointier, expect the release on friday.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Well... Collision detection wouldn't be a problem due to its size...

However it is a ship and they do tend to move around. So while at first it would seem safe to fly by the towers, you have got to remember that the NPC pilot of the ship will freak out with a ship so close it and try to turn away from you to prevent a collision, and in doing so actually cause the collision he was trying to prevent. Because you had you're safe path mapped out and he just ruined it by attempting to turn a 4km long ship to avoid a 50m ship.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

I'm assuming a big ship like this wouldn't even try to turn the ship in a reaction to close pass. Perhaps Thargoids big liners have an ai that reflects that. I was just thinking that a big ship like yours could be turned into a race course and various racepoints set for the npcs. Not really for an unsolicited buzzing the tower a la maverick(Top Gun)!

WIKI+OXPs
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

Here's something I started yesterday:

Still working on the detailing and stuff.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

That looks big enough to dock with Cows.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Big (?) and chunky. 8)

Military or Civilian?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

Big, and I think it's going to end up as a supply hauler/construction for large objects like space stations. It just needs some cargo bay doors and a robotic arm or two. I could do a medical ship retexturing too, I think.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Looks pretty cool!

For the doors you could take a look at the Dredgers - Eric has added opening/closing doors a while back.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
I'm assuming a big ship like this wouldn't even try to turn the ship in a reaction to close pass. Perhaps Thargoids big liners have an ai that reflects that. I was just thinking that a big ship like yours could be turned into a race course and various racepoints set for the npcs. Not really for an unsolicited buzzing the tower a la maverick(Top Gun)!
Well, there is a way that it could be done, I could make them like they were in Frontier/FFE and give them no AI at all, just make them stationary eye candy parked near stations... Was actually thinking of doing this anyway, cause they look weird when they turn, they're fine at going in straight lines but when they try to manoeuvre they look like they're being piloted by a elderly blind man with alzheimer's and arthritis.
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

I got fed up with texturing the bird so I decided to make a star-destroyer (from Star Wars)... but now I am having problems with the shipdata.plist and the materials...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Staer9 wrote:
I got fed up with texturing the bird so I decided to make a star-destroyer (from Star Wars)... but now I am having problems with the shipdata.plist and the materials...
Are you aware of Star Wars.oxp?
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Commander McLane wrote:
Staer9 wrote:
Are you aware of Star Wars.oxp?
yes, but I have done a far better job at modeling and texturing the Star destroyer, and as far as I am aware there is not a star destroyer in the starwars.oxp (at least not on the wiki page)