Wormhole "Bermuda Triangle"...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Wormhole "Bermuda Triangle"...

Post by Switeck »

(in v1.75)
Now that NPC wormholes sometimes trigger misjumps just like regular hyperspace jumps do...

NPC wormholes should become progressively more unstable (more likely to cause a misjump) in the final moments before they disappear. So at least in the last 10 seconds, make misjumps more likely. At the last second or 2, they may even cause other very strange effects? Like 1.only jump 1/4 or 3/4 as far or 2.simply move the player's ship in-system by a huge random distance ("You see that tiny DOT? That's this system's sun!") or 3.even overshoot the destination system entirely by some arbitrary amount up to 7 LY total distance?

This will serve to make for wormhole "Bermuda Triangle"-like effects with ships getting lost going through wormholes due to unknown causes -- which might explain why typically only small ships are quickly using bigger (freighter) ships' wormholes. The common belief may be that smaller ships fit ok in a larger, "fresh" wormhole without real knowledge of the risk.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Wormhole "Bermuda Triangle"...

Post by another_commander »

Not for the MNSR, I'm afraid. This is a new feature you are talking about and we know that no new features, feature freeze, etc, etc.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

But is an excellent idea though. I'm sure A_C meant to say that too... :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

It's ok if it doesn't go into v1.75.x or even v1.76 ...just that it's something to keep in mind.
Even keeping misjump behavior the same for them but just making it more likely in the last 10 seconds would be enough of a change to be noticeable.