Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Suggestions for building 1.75 on FreeBSD and other unixy-os

Information, contacts and source code for ports to Linux, Windows, etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Spooky
Dangerous
Dangerous

Suggestions for building 1.75 on FreeBSD and other unixy-os

Post by Spooky »

Hi all,

Firstly congrats on 1.75, it's proper luuuuurvely. I'm waiting for 1.76 stable with baited breath.

I would like to most humbly offer a couple of suggestions for the build process, however I'm posting this here and not in the suggestion box since the following cliche is probably true - "1% of computer users use Linux and less than 1% of that figure use FreeBSD." So to say I'm in a minority would be an understatement and therefore I fully understand if there's no desire to listen to my inane ramblings.

1) make != GNU Make on every system.
As much as I love sed would it be ok to specify $(MAKE) rather than make in the makefiles. I don't know of a version of make that doesn't specify $MAKE for sub-makes. I have made the very simple changes to Makefile and libjs.make as required if you'd like them? (Also, do I win an award for the most amounts of "make" ever used in a single paragraph?)

2) /bin/bash isn't always there.
The update-moziila.sh specifies /bin/bash as the scripting language. Would it be acceptable for me to submit a crusty old bourne shell version? I don't know of a single unix-a-like without /bin/sh.

3) cp != GNU cp on every system.
-u is a GNU flag and will preserve existing files if newer than the source file timestamp. In my opinion this is redundant for building from source and breaks compatability with BSD cp.

4) ^M is naughty, especially in shell script files.
tr -d '\r' is fun, but I'd rather not have to remove the icky windows taint :D

Once again thanks to the devs for all their sterling efforts. I'll go and hide back under my rock now.
Spooky
www.int13h.com
Evil Genius

The most merciful thing in all the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all of its contents.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Suggestions for building 1.75 on FreeBSD and other unixy

Post by Micha »

Please do send a patch if you've got one - anything to improve compatibility as long as it doesn't break existing systems! :)
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Charon102
Average
Average

Re: Suggestions for building 1.75 on FreeBSD and other unixy

Post by Charon102 »

FreeBSD port was not updated for some years. Still 1.65
Anyone working on an upgrade?