Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

trunk: strange wormhole

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

trunk: strange wormhole

Post by Commander McLane »

I don't know whether this is related to the recent wormhole fix, but in rev 4412 I just came across this:

Seems quite a long time, which would point to a huge entity. But the wormhole wasn't big, and it was already shrinking.

It may have been created by a personalities ship (incidentally my own personality), because I noticed it when I had launched, found Commander McLane launching as well, docked again, and re-launched. The NPC wasn't there anymore (S.shipsWithRole("personalities") returned nothing), but the timer in its ship script that sends chatter to all ships in scanner range was still active! This stroke me as odd, too.

Then I entered the wormhole, and on the other side I found ... nothing. The wormhole-creating NPC had vanished without a trace.

Oh, and the ETA is wrong, too. I arrived on the other side at 2085186:02:45:15 or so, a full 12-and-a-half days before 2085198:20:42:50. So it seems that the wormhole-creating NPC hasn't vanished, but is going to follow me in 12-and-a-half-days. Shall I advance my clock and check?

So it seems that something went wrong during the fix of the first wormhole issue I reported.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: trunk: strange wormhole

What can I tell you? 12 days and 18 hours (game time) later: there I am!

Now, who else can claim to have overtaken himself in witchspace? :lol:

But seriously, the travel time calculated for the NPC is obviously much too long. So there must be a bug somewhere.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Is it in any way reproducible, or it was a one-off event?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I had the program still running, but paused.

So I performed a PS.target.exitSystem() on the same ship. The resulting wormhole seems normal (time until collapse about 2 minutes, and a reasonable travel time.

So perhaps it's a one-off oddity?

I should say it happened with the save-game from which I had manually deleted the wormhole-entry, so it was the first wormhole created. Don't know whether this could play a role.

But even with the new jump the ship continued to send messages afterwards, which is clearly wrong. I can of course stop the timer via a new event in the script. Which ship script event would that be for the ship creating and entering a wormhole? The Wiki seems to be down right now!
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Could it be with personalities.oxp as I have just tested it and this was the log... [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ***** JavaScript exception (personalities 0.9): TypeError: system.systemNameForID is not a function
[script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ../AddOns/Personalities.oxp/Scripts/personalities.js, line 41.
[loading.complete]: ========== Loading complete. ==========
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 6 world scripts:
oolite-cloaking-device 1.75
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.75
oolite-nova 1.75
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.75
oolite-trumbles 1.75
personalities 0.9
[script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ***** JavaScript exception (personalities 0.9): TypeError: system.systemNameForID is not a function
[script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ../AddOns/Personalities.oxp/Scripts/personalities.js, line 41.
[script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefinedError]: ***** JavaScript exception (personalities-ship-script 0.9): Error: Ship.commsMessage: Invalid arguments ("Sorry, I\'m really pressed for time...") -- expected message and optional target.
[script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefinedError]: ../AddOns/Personalities.oxp/Scripts/personalities-ship-script.js, line 81.
[script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefinedError]: ***** JavaScript exception (personalities-ship-script 0.9): Error: Ship.commsMessage: Invalid arguments ("Are you really sure you want to do this?") -- expected message and optional target.
[script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefinedError]: ../AddOns/Personalities.oxp/Scripts/personalities-ship-script.js, line 81.
[script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefinedError]: ***** JavaScript exception (personalities-ship-script 0.9): Error: Ship.commsMessage: Invalid arguments ("Ouch, stubbed my toe.") -- expected message and optional target.
[script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefinedError]: ***** JavaScript exception (personalities-ship-script 0.9): Error: Ship.commsMessage: Invalid arguments ("I\'ll see what I can do!") -- expected message and optional target.
[script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefinedError]: ***** JavaScript exception (personalities-ship-script 0.9): Error: Ship.commsMessage: Invalid arguments ("Are you really sure you want to do this?") -- expected message and optional target.
[script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefinedError]: ***** JavaScript exception (personalities-ship-script 0.9): Error: Ship.commsMessage: Invalid arguments ("I\'ll see what I can do!") -- expected message and optional target.
[script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefinedError]: ***** JavaScript exception (personalities-ship-script 0.9): Error: Ship.commsMessage: Invalid arguments ("Ouch, stubbed my toe.") -- expected message and optional target.
[gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I think Cmdr McLane reported other oddities with NPC travel time (with interstellar help?) so it might not be a case of personalities...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I have of course already fixed the error messages in my local copy of personalities.oxp.

One more detail: the odd jump occurred while I was docked. When I launched again, the wormhole was already there. Don't know whether this may have had an influence.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
I have of course already fixed the error messages in my local copy of personalities.oxp.

One more detail: the odd jump occurred while I was docked. When I launched again, the wormhole was already there. Don't know whether this may have had an influence.
Normally you never see wormholes when just launching. That is because an average wormhole lasts only for 2 minutes. And during launch the time is set forward 10 minutes, resulting in immediate collapse of all wormholes with a live time of less than 10 minutes. But your one was big to begin with.

To timers keeping running:
Timers run independent of the script. The script is responsible to stop them when not needed. In your case something like:

Code: Select all

this.shipWillEnterWormhole = function()
{
	if (this.checkPlayerTimer) {this.checkPlayerTimer.stop();}
}
(I also noticed the wiki was down :x )
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Eric Walch wrote:
To timers keeping running:
Timers run independent of the script. The script is responsible to stop them when not needed. In your case something like:

Code: Select all

this.shipWillEnterWormhole = function()
{
	if (this.checkPlayerTimer) {this.checkPlayerTimer.stop();}
}
(I also noticed the wiki was down :x )
Yes, after a little thinking I realized that I didn't need any fancy new event handler, but just the good old shipWillEnterWormhole.

I already had playerWillEnterWormhole to stop and remove all timers, and usually this will suffice. I guess I never had a situation before where a personalities ship jumped out and I was in the vicinity in the small lifetime of the wormhole. As the messages aren't broadcast out of scanner range, I never noticed. And in the pre-wormhole-scanning days, the ship died when entering a wormhole, and the shipDied handler also stops the timers.

I did another test now with ordinary exiting traders. If I dock and launch while the trader is either in state HEAD_AWAY_FROM_PLANET or in state EXIT_SYSTEM, nothing happens at all. The NPC simply ignores my passing game time. When I re-launch, it is still roughly at the same point, and only the real time has passed in its thinking interval. This seems odd, too. Or does it only happen for ships which I have in the inspector?
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Commander McLane wrote:
The NPC simply ignores my passing game time. When I re-launch, it is still roughly at the same point, and only the real time has passed in its thinking interval. This seems odd, too. Or does it only happen for ships which I have in the inspector?
AFAIK this has always been like this.

The only real fix is to run a complete universe update while the player's clock is adjusting during docking/launching.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.