Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

issues in descriptions.plist

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

issues in descriptions.plist

Post by Commander McLane »

Going over descriptions.plist, I think I caught a typo:

I guess

Code: Select all

"equip-repair-@" = " Repair:%@";
should be

Code: Select all

"equip-repair-@" = " Repair: %@";
(SPACE in front of %@)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: issues in descriptions.plist

A question of understanding for localization OXPs:

Are rescue-reward-for-@@-@-credits-@-alt both meant to indicate that you haven't been paid the full insurance money, but a cut has been made for the bribe? I ask because the first ("For rescuing %@, %@, their insurance pays %@ ₢. This includes a %@ ₢ bribe for clearing the offender status.") could be construed to mean that the insurance paid something extra on top of the the normal money, in order to enable you to pay the bribe.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

The first used number is the actual insurance value minus the bounty. And this result is awarded to the player. The second value is the bounty itself. The first number can never get negative. In that case an other message is generated.

For me a bribe is always a cost, so a negative number. Including a bribe feels for me it is reduced from the main sum. Or do I see it wrong?
could be construed to mean that the insurance paid something extra on top of the the normal money, in order to enable you to pay the bribe.
yes, you can also read it so. Have you a less ambiguous alternative?
Last edited by Eric Walch on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Also, "Police officers are waiting for %@, %@, but after a hasty discussion and an exchange of Credits they depart. Insurance pays you %@ ₢. (%@ ₢ went into the bribe)." has the wrong punctuation. Either the last full stop should be in the parenthesis, or the second full stop should go away, making the parenthesis part of the sentence.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Eric Walch wrote:
The first used number is the actual insurance value minus the bounty. And this result is awarded to the player. The second value is the bounty itself. The first number can never get negative. In that case an other message is generated.

For me a bribe is always a cost, so a negative number. Including a bribe feels for me it is reduced from the main sum. Or do I see it wrong?
I supposed so, but wanted to ask. My German translation is "Für die Rettung von %@, %@, zahlt Ihnen die Versicherung %@ ₢, abzüglich %@ ₢ zur Bestechung der Sicherheitskräfte.", which I think captures what is meant.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Out of curiosity: why is there snapshots-directory-name and snapshots-directory-name-mac?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
I supposed so, but wanted to ask. My German translation is "Für die Rettung von %@, %@, zahlt Ihnen die Versicherung %@ ₢, abzüglich %@ ₢ zur Bestechung der Sicherheitskräfte.", which I think captures what is meant.
Yep, it fully captures the meaning.

I added those messages because I wanted to do something special with pilots that had both a bounty and insurance. Those occasions should be rare. This rareness is the case for populator created ships were the populator knows what type of pilot it has to add. However, for script added ships it has no clue and a random pilot is added. These pilots have a random bounty and a random insurance. It can be avoided by explicitly defining a pilot for a ship. For that occasion I added a few default pilots to the Oolite 1.75 character.plist. e.g. "oolite-trader" etc. That way you will have a pilot with bounty/insurance fitting for its role.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Commander McLane wrote:
Out of curiosity: why is there snapshots-directory-name and snapshots-directory-name-mac?
For windows & linux systems everyone was happy to have snapshots under the save game folder, however the Official Guidelines for macs apparently state that all snapshots should go on the Desktop, and the snapshot location we had on macs before 1.74 was wrong...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Kaks wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
For windows & linux systems everyone was happy to have snapshots under the save game folder, however the Official Guidelines for macs apparently state that all snapshots should go on the Desktop, and the snapshot location we had on macs before 1.74 was wrong...
Yes, but why name it differently?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Ah! :lol:
One name is shown together with the savegame files, in the integrated Oolite load/save screen (needs to be short & to the point), while the other is on pride of place, sitting on the user's desktop (needs to be somewhat grand sounding :D).
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
“Screen Shots” is unambiguously the correct terminology for Mac OS X. I don’t know if there’s a particularly strong argument in favour of “snapshots” on other platforms, but I’m not familiar enough with them to argue either way.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Ahruman wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
“Screen Shots” is unambiguously the correct terminology for Mac OS X. I don’t know if there’s a particularly strong argument in favour of “snapshots” on other platforms, but I’m not familiar enough with them to argue either way.
Where I work, these two have different meanings, snapshot being a snapshot of a situation, often at a specific moment in time, and the other being just what it says, a shot (taken from photography) of the screen. I work in a all windows environment and suggest you go for screen shot throughout, far less ambiguous. The difference is subtle, but in my line of work important (Not that this matters for Oolite).
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

For what it's worth, I used Windows years ago and Linux more recently, and I think on both they are known as 'Screen Shots'. That is what I think of/call them.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

If everyone's happy about it, we can easily change 'snapshots' to 'screenshots' for linux & windows, though, thinking about it, it would probably be nicer (and consistent with the infamous AddOns directory...) if - for non-mac systems at least - it was called 'ScreenShots'! :)

Come to think of it, I'm not really sure why the saves directory is called oolite-saves instead of - say - OoliteSavegames / OoliteSaveGames...
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

If using Gimp, it's a 'Screenshot'.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.