Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Trying to kill a pirate base . . . [UPS - SPOILER ALERT]

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Trying to kill a pirate base . . . [UPS - SPOILER ALERT]

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

Hi. I get a problem about half the time I get the UPS mission to destroy a pirate base with cloaking jammer; I think you need the q-mine for this, the bases don't die with four full lots of ML fire unlike the ones in the Navy add-on. I destroy all the spaceships nearby. Then I zap the base a bit; sometimes there's a flash as if I've destroyed something although it's not clear what. Then I arm the q-mine, launch, press "i" until the base is off the scanner and watch and wait . . . and wait . . . and nothing happens. Am I missing something? Does it need to be thrown down the base entrance? Am I too close? Thanks.

EDIT by DaddyHoggy to change title - to indicate SPOILER in thread.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Trying to kill a pirate base . . .

Post by Eric Walch »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
Hi. I get a problem about half the time I get the UPS mission to destroy a pirate base with cloaking jammer; I think you need the q-mine for this, the bases don't die with four full lots of ML fire unlike the ones in the Navy add-on. I destroy all the spaceships nearby. Then I zap the base a bit; sometimes there's a flash as if I've destroyed something although it's not clear what. Then I arm the q-mine, launch, press "i" until the base is off the scanner and watch and wait . . . and wait . . . and nothing happens. Am I missing something? Does it need to be thrown down the base entrance? Am I too close? Thanks.
This base can only be destroyed by a Q-mine. However, the nearby defenders disarm the mines when detected. You must kill them all. Chasing away is not enough as it is possible one of them just returns when you drop the mine.

And another error that can be made easy is to eject the mine in the direction of the base itself. The mine is ejected with a small velecity and when it hits the station before it can arm itself, the q-mine just smashes into pieces. (That is a feature of the mine itself.)

When you look backward while deploying the mine, you see the ejection. And when it was spotted by defenders, you see it being disarmed by explosion. When it stays active, just hit the injectors. No real hurry as 5 seconds is plenty of time to get away far enough.
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

Hi Richard,

There is an easy way to destroy a shielded pirate base;

- creep up to it.
- Fire your laser on it until the defenders come out
- Use your energy bomb to eradicate them
- Deploy the q-mine
- Run like crazy

It is a bit costly, but you'll still make a profit!

Greetz,
Onno.
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

This thread needs a SPOILER ALERT in my opinion.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Gimi wrote:
Done - by the wave of an Admin wand.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Gimi wrote:
Done - by the wave of an Admin wand.
Thank you, now who has a good offer on memory wipes.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Trying to kill a pirate base . . . [UPS - SPOILER ALERT]

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

Thanks. Feel a bit bad that it got labelled "spoiler alert" but it's obvious why! I've seen the answer in the responses - I think it's been crashing into the base. Thanks for the responses.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Trying to kill a pirate base . . . [UPS - SPOILER ALERT]

Post by Gimi »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
Thanks. Feel a bit bad that it got labelled "spoiler alert" but it's obvious why! I've seen the answer in the responses - I think it's been crashing into the base. Thanks for the responses.
Don't worry. By the time I get there with my current commander I will have forgotten.