Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

My new Dynamic Hud

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

JeffBTX wrote:
Agree on the Pie Charts ! (make mine apple, cherry or pumpkin please)
No cannibalism here please :shock:
JeffBTX wrote:
I remember a study that I read about a LONG time ago in I-Forget-Which Magazine... concerning how people perceive; how they perceived computer data screens / menus, reaction times, comprehension, etc. This article had pictures and graphics, and published results.

Like many, I'm an analogue dial devotee...no digital read-outs for me thanks. Even a 'bar' is a bit daring, but I can live with those.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

been looking round for some practical examples:
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/08 ... pproaches/

http://www.slideshare.net/fichter/data- ... ?src=embed

actually this second one isn't particularly good.
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

I've overhauled it again.

Remember, my native resolution is 1680x1050 and these have been resized to 1024x640.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34159828@N06/

Please let me know if you have questions.

Tentatively the DOCKED HUD is simple. It turns off the Targeting Disk that appears in-flight in the middle of the screen and turns off the Contraster. Also, it puts 2 green surrounds up... one around the extreme edges of the screen, and one that surrounds the Oolite Data Area / Menus. It is based on the lowest text that appears in Oolite (pic "Docked 2": Save -> Commander name) and the largest planet that can appear in the F7 System Info Screen (Onisaned in Galaxy 4). Onisaned is not in these screenshots, but it has been verified... the right edge of Onisaned is about 3 pixels away from the green surround.

Note that I STILL INTEND to create a raytraced Docked HUD, I've just been too busy w/ other things.

Critical Condition; see "Condition Red Critical": I finally got the hang of deliberately bringing this about naturally in the game. As you can see, there is now just a reddish glow around the screen edges, fading to clear in the middle of the screen. This was done with a PNG that has a "sunburst gradient" on it, black (clear) in the middle to red at the edges, with the alpha set to 0.20.

Compass, Roll / Pitch / Yaw bars, and Stick Sensitivity Indicator are all integrated. See the image "Stick Sensitivity On"; the little grey circle turns green.

See Planet Line Up 1 and Planet Line Up 2; the Stick Sensitivity Indicator is sized to be JUST UNDER the circumference of the Compass Planet and Sun disks. This helps to line up perfectly if you want to head DIRECTLY to or away from a planet or the sun; it helps to quickly set your course AWAY from the sun when sundiving.

Contraster (pics 1,2,3) or "contraster underlay"; It has been altered and improved. Layout of instruments changed slightly.

(The contraster makes me think of a submarine with a HUGE gun underslung on the snout).

The largest object name that I know of when activating the Target ID is 61 characters long, the largest name from the PAGroove Stations OXP (name: "Frontierworldsranger1 Station (Frontierworldsranger1 Variant"). Previously, the rectangle at the lower right of the contraster JUST encompassed that 61 character name. I decided to extend it to 1-2 pixels short of the lower right corner of the screen... just in case some OXP has an incredibly long object name. See the pic "Target ID".
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Okay, I've deleted all the old images and uploaded 7 new ones. I did some minor tweaking on the in-flight HUDs, trimming the "contraster panel" a little.

And now, I have my "Docked Hud" finally finished.

Here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34159828@N06/

Be sure and click the appropriate links to view the images at the large size (1024x640).

Docked-A is "serious", and the one I am running with. Docked-B and Docked-C are for "chuckles".

I might tweak a few things / change my mind on the layout for the lower area of the Docked HUD.

I've done some researching, and with scripting there are quite a few possibilities for displaying different things while docked; but I decided for a minimalist, simple, almost dark and "cyberpunky" look.

EDIT: By the way, the docked HUDS (background image) were entirely done with a raytracer.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Might want to get Credits displayed on that Docked-A screen?
...Not that you can spend any from that F7 window. :P
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

A credits display as a function of the HUD isn't necessary... several of the screens display that already... Pilot Status, Commodities, etc.

I decided to take out the line that says "COMM STATUS:", and moved the "HARDPOINTS" line up to that area. And it now just says "HARDPOINTS:". The Fuel Scoop and Missile Icons were moved accordingly.

I moved the fuel indicator / label over to the right a little bit... everything is lined up more even.

-----
EDIT:
I actually got tired and a little annoyed at all the extra ornamentation.

So I stepped back... minimalist, simple, the docked HUD "doesn't try to explain itself".

I uploaded a new image; Docked-New01. The old images are still there.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: My new Dynamic Hud

Post by Zireael »

How does the Contrastor work and where to download this HUD?
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: My new Dynamic Hud

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

The contraster is simply a semi-transparent underlay which makes seeing things on the HUD a little bit easier. The HUD can be downloaded from here, and you can see screenshots of what it looks like here.