How do I start the inbuilt missions?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander_Doom
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

How do I start the inbuilt missions?

Post by Commander_Doom »

Hi I've been trying to satisfy my Elite/Frontier cravings again recently, and went through a spate of downloading and trying out all the clones, emulators etc., and luckily stumbled upon Oolite for the first time last month.

I settled on playing Oolite and have been trading and pirate hunting for a while and built up a pretty good ship and some cash, so now I want to start doing the in-built missions, but where are they? How do you find them?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Hi and welcome to the game. Normally the missions find you, you don't find them. This happens when certain conditions regarding rank, legal rating, cash etc. have been met. The first built-in mission should trigger once you have accumulated approximately 6500Cr. Keep playing and you will be rewarded.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi, and welcome. :)
A couple of other points....you need a certain number of kills to trigger the first mission as well (I think it's 512 but don't hold me to that), and you must still be in Galaxy 1.
If you meet the criteria, the mission will come along.
Sounds like you're already doing quite well, keep up the good work.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Smivs wrote:
Hi, and welcome. :)
A couple of other points....you need a certain number of kills to trigger the first mission as well (I think it's 512 but don't hold me to that), and you must still be in Galaxy 1.
If you meet the criteria, the mission will come along.
Sounds like you're already doing quite well, keep up the good work.
Errm. You are talking about a different mission than a_c. He is right, however. For the thing you get offered first you don't need any kills at all, only a certain amount of cash.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: How do I start the inbuilt missions?

Post by maik »

Commander_Doom wrote:
hunting for a while and built up a pretty good ship and some cash, so now I want to start doing the in-built missions, but where are they? How do you find them?
Hi Cdr. Doom, welcome to the boards!

You can find information on what triggers the missions (along with loads of other useful information) in the Wiki. More specifically, there is the mission overview.

Cheers,
-Maik
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

maik wrote:
Commander_Doom wrote:
hunting for a while and built up a pretty good ship and some cash, so now I want to start doing the in-built missions, but where are they? How do you find them?

You can find information on what triggers the missions (along with loads of other useful information) in the Wiki. More specifically, there is the mission overview.
However, this may contain spoilers. If you prefer the in-built missions to find you, you should probably only look at the OXP-missions section to find out which additional missions you can add in Galaxy 1.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Commander McLane wrote:
Errm. You are talking about a different mission than a_c. He is right, however. For the thing you get offered first you don't need any kills at all, only a certain amount of cash.
Oh, yes, I forgot about them. I don't know why but it never seemed like a real mission to me.
Commander_Doom
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Commander_Doom »

Thanks for the reply. I am sure I've had that many credits at one time or another, I was asked if I wanted to buy any trumbles a while back but I said no. was that the first mission?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Commander_Doom wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I am sure I've had that many credits at one time or another, I was asked if I wanted to buy any trumbles a while back but I said no. was that the first mission?
Yes, it was. But don't worry, you may eventually get the offer again, if you declined the first time. :wink:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Image :lol:
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Commander McLane wrote:
Commander_Doom wrote:
Yes, it was. But don't worry, you may eventually get the offer again, if you declined the first time. :wink:
I did decline the first time but never got the offer again... Not that I'm particularly unhappy about this...
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Commander McLane wrote:
maik wrote:
Commander_Doom wrote:

However, this may contain spoilers. If you prefer the in-built missions to find you, you should probably only look at the OXP-missions section to find out which additional missions you can add in Galaxy 1.
One could argue that the answer to the original question about how to find the inbuilt missions actually needs to be a spoiler. Unless Commander_Doom is happy with the "wait and see" answer...
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

maik wrote:
I did decline the first time but never got the offer again... Not that I'm particularly unhappy about this...
That is correct. This bug of not getting a second offer has been around since the first JS version of that mission and was only discovered after the 1.74.2 release. Be prepared to get it delayed when Oolite 1.75 is released. :twisted:

Generally spoken there is just one internal mission per galaxy, so when you have encountered one, you shouldn't get a new one. Only the second mission can start in both G1 and G2.
Commander_Doom
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Commander_Doom »

I will keep on going without spoilers if that's ok, I was worried I'd missed a mission or something. I'll get a good mission when I get 500 odd kills though right? I'll Witchspace to somewhere anarchic and warm up the lasers then :)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Commander_Doom wrote:
I'll Witchspace to somewhere anarchic and warm up the lasers then :)
That, indeed, is always a good thing to do. :D