Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Super

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Chilla-X
Poor
Poor

Super

Post by Chilla-X »

I'd just like post here to say what super game this is. Its brought back so many memories of playing (or fighting over!) this game on an Acorn Electron with my brother over 20 years ago!!!

I've only been playing for about 3 evenings now & it's almost like I never stopped. My status is above average with 60+ kills & have already pimped up my Cobra MK3 :)

So, like to say thankyou to all the developers & support for this game :)
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Thank you to you, too! And welcome to the boards, you're in like-minded company here :)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi Chilla-X,
Good to have you on board. As Maik hinted, we're a really friendly bunch, so look in often, and don't be shy. If you have any questions or problems, just ask...there'll be someone here who can help.
Cheers
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Chilla-X
Poor
Poor

Post by Chilla-X »

Thanks for the reply. On 90 kills now :D

I cant really think of any good questions to ask at the moment. Most of the ones I had were answered by the wonderful wiki :). The only one I have is this.

Is there anyway to always find a rock hermit in a system or do they just appear @ random?

The reason I ask this is based on how I'm making the credits at the moment. Computers bought cheap @ an industrial world & sold expensive @ an agricultural world. This accounts for one side of my trade run & makes around up to 40cr per ton. For the return journey I'd either buy Liquor (or Furs) but, they dont make a massive profit up to around 20cr per ton. Unless, you can sell at a rock hermit. Minerals, gold, platinum, gem stones seem to be good buys here as well. So, basically, im trying to maximize my trading profit. Need to save up for big big ship (Probably a Boa).
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Chilla-X wrote:
Thanks for the reply. On 90 kills now :D

I cant really think of any good questions to ask at the moment. Most of the ones I had were answered by the wonderful wiki :). The only one I have is this.

Is there anyway to always find a rock hermit in a system or do they just appear @ random?

The reason I ask this is based on how I'm making the credits at the moment. Computers bought cheap @ an industrial world & sold expensive @ an agricultural world. This accounts for one side of my trade run & makes around up to 40cr per ton. For the return journey I'd either buy Liquor (or Furs) but, they dont make a massive profit up to around 20cr per ton. Unless, you can sell at a rock hermit. Minerals, gold, platinum, gem stones seem to be good buys here as well. So, basically, im trying to maximize my trading profit. Need to save up for big big ship (Probably a Boa).
Welcome Chilla-X, to sort of answer your question, Rock Hermits appear randomly, they're easier to find if you purchase a Rock Hermit Locator (using the applicable OXP).

HTH.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Rock Hermits do not appear in all systems. There is a Rock Hermit Locator available via the OXPs which helps you finding them when they exist in your system though.

On the topic of making money quickly: Go after some pirates that are Wanted via the Random Hits OXP, this gives much better returns than trading. That's what I do at least, I only trade on the side while following this and other missions. Also only in computers and furs, but as I don't depend on trading I buy furs only when they are about 50Cr and sell them around 80Cr+. Computers seem to go between 62Cr and 102Cr.

Edit: D_H was faster :D
Chilla-X
Poor
Poor

Post by Chilla-X »

Thankyou :) will download both these ones shortly ;)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi Chilla-X and welcome.

If you want some combat practice (and fun) try the Furball oxp.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

And you can increase your earning opportunities by installing OXPs with other stations in them, like Your Ad Here, which puts Convenience Stores in systems from (I think) Dictatorship and better governments, with populations of 4 billion and over.

Useful trading tip: illegal goods are only illegal if you're carrying them when you launch from a main system station. You can buy them up anywhere else you find them, and ship them in with no trouble from the law. It's sometimes possible to make legal deals, worth 90Cr/t or more ...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi Chilla-X, I'd also like to welcome you!

Just in case you haven't noticed yet: In many systems you will also find a Rock Hermit (sometimes two) on the line between planet and sun. So, after having docked at the main station and sold your goods, you can launch again and head for the sun, and often you will come across another asteroid field and a rock hermit inside.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Commander McLane wrote:
Hi Chilla-X, I'd also like to welcome you!

Just in case you haven't noticed yet: In many systems you will also find a Rock Hermit (sometimes two) on the line between planet and sun. So, after having docked at the main station and sold your goods, you can launch again and head for the sun, and often you will come across another asteroid field and a rock hermit inside.
Just yesterday I even encountered 3: two bagels and Griff's latest, the muffin ;-)
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Welcome aboard, Commander!

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Given the numerous responses to this thread already, I'd feel anti-social if I didn't say "Hi" at least. Hi!
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
Chilla-X
Poor
Poor

Post by Chilla-X »

Thanks for the greetings & thanks for the advice given above. I hope I can give someone advice in return at some point.

Now I have another question ;) What do you do if a mis-jump happens & you dont have enough fuel to hyperspace anyway?
This just happened to me & I was attacked by some nasty ships, Once I'd taken them out there was noting to do apart from go back to the last save.

Also, can anyone recommend an oxp that will install some new ships?
The reason I ask this is its going to take a long time to save the cash for a Boa. I'm not too far away from the money for a Python but wondered in between these bigger ships with large cargo capacity & a Cobra MK3.
Cody

Post by Cody »

If you’re caught in interstellar space, and you’ve splashed the Thargoids, but don’t have enough fuel to get anywhere… well, there ain’t no options, it’s back to your last save. Advice… wherever possible, stick to short jumps, so you always have a margin, and always carry a galactic hyperdrive… then you can at least jump on through to the next chart/sector/octant/galaxy.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!